New World
Chapter 37: Preparing the Soil

Copyright© 2010 by lordshipmayhem

There was a gentle knock on the open door as Mike and his family tiptoed into the hospital room. "How's the new mother?" Mike whispered as he beheld the proud yet tired parents clutching their new baby.

"I think she's finally falling asleep," Belinda whispered back as she held her new daughter to her breast.

It had started during an interview the previous day, answering questions fired at the couple from Arcturus. They had honestly no clue that their lives were of such intense interest, but tried to answer the enquiries as honestly and completely as possible. Right in the middle of the feed, Belinda's water broke and off they went to the maternity ward. The show ended up being a trifle more dramatic than planned, as Millie comforted Belinda, Charles tried to remember everything he'd learnt in Lamaze class, and Yuki arranged for the Embassy limo and a police escort. Mike took over the live feed with the immortal line, "In case you just joined us, it seems we're gonna have a baby!"


Reeve Brian Bondecker's wife Glynnis and sister-in-law Meredeth had been training to be midwives for about a week under the tutelage of Dr. Ruth Arless. They and their fellow students likened it to being taken under the wing of the Iron Maiden of Nuremberg. She was exacting, expecting precision and rapid-fire decisions, all of which had to be correct. The experienced OB/GYN drilled them relentlessly.

And the nudity was another factor they had to overcome. Being at the hospital meant staying in the hospital dorms, rows of mobile homes set up barracks-style. Each woman had a cot and a small locker for her toilet kit, and that was about it. There were no clothes or privacy. Both women agreed that if they'd have known about the nudity angle, they would likely not have come.

But in the evening, when the studying and preparation for the next day was done, everyone could relax with a beer at the trailer set aside as a club, or play baseball or basketball in the parking lot, or go on bus tours of the city. As most of the ladies in the course had never really spent much time in Arcturus City, there was plenty to see or do – all of it nude, of course, as they were technically Staff of the Hospital, which was Spican territory.

And there was the honour of becoming professional midwives. In a society where they had been relegated to being housewives or farm wives, the knowledge that they were going to be licenced professionals was awe-inspiring not just for them, but for the local media, who covered the story of the naked Arcturan medical personnel-in-training avidly.

Every Friday night the ladies from the countryside boarded buses back to their home shires, off (aside from study) and not to return until Sunday night.


Reeve Brian Bondecker joyfully greeted his wife and sister-in-law as they stepped off the hover bus. Public kissing was considered something slightly scandalous, but at that moment the Reeve could not have cared less. As the townsfolk around tittered happily, he gave Glynnis a kiss that curled her toes.

"Wow!" she exclaimed, giddy with happiness. "Did you miss me or what!"

He flashed her a happy grin and grabbed the ladies' luggage. "Mrs. Macaulay's cooked us up another one of her magnificent dinners. A delicious beef pie, I believe, and new roast potatoes, and some fine steamed root vegetables fresh from your own garden." He started dragging them home, talking a mile a minute.

Over the dinner table at the Macaulay household, everyone wanted to know how the training had been going.

"It's fascinating, isn't it, Glyn?" responded Meredith. "We've each helped deliver a new life into the world."

"Oh, yes," said Glynnis, a look of wonder on her face. "It was just like when you kids were born, exciting and terrifying all at the same time." The kids looked puzzled at their mother and aunt. "Exciting, because it's another new life with all the wonder and potential, terror lest something go wrong."

"And the Spicans have shipped in some new high-tech gadgets just for Obstetrics, and new medical imaging machines to replace those lost when Arcturus City General was destroyed, and..." Meredith grinned.

"And the training isn't just 'midwife', to help with delivery. We're being trained to paramedic grade. We'll get a link to the big hospital in Arcturus City, and even emergency drugs and equipment. We'll be able to run our own little clinic in town with full backup from trained, experienced doctors." The two were clearly excited about the prospects of providing modern health care to this rural part of the planet.

"We saw a documentary on your training, it DOES look exciting. It also looked, ah, a lot like Spica," Mr. Macaulay said diplomatically.

"Ah, yes, about that." Glynnis groped for words. "Yes, the Spican hospital is technically their territory. All staff, all patients and yes, all visitors are as nude as if the hospital were back on Spica."

"At least you can get dressed when you go home at night," suggested Mrs. Macaulay.

"Ah, the quarters are on the hospital property. And when we go out in the evening, the ID badges are as good as a gingham dress!" She held up the badge, clipped firmly to a lanyard, unmistakably identifying her as Spican Hospital staff.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.