New World - Cover

New World

Copyright© 2010 by lordshipmayhem

Chapter 12: Press Exposure

"Holy Hanna, she IS. I can't believe it, she IS..." one of the Solaris News Channel cameramen breathed as the form of an obviously naked President appeared in his viewfinder. Soon the others could see her, standing somewhat tentatively at the top of the ramp, a little hesitant at being the centre of attention.

With a confidence that Mike was convinced she really didn't feel, Lucy Yamashita strode down the landing craft's rear ramp. She was clad in nought but a pair of sandals and the all-purpose wristwatch that everyone on the planet wore. Mike could only assume that a supply had been lifted to orbit the preceding evening. He noted the tan lines — she evidently wore a modest one-piece when she went swimming even in the privacy of the Presidential swimming pool — and wondered why he was noticing such inconsequential things at this historic moment.

Lucy Yamashita and Aiko Yamada greeted each other like they were old friends, clasping hands and bussing each other on the cheek. The Spica II First Minister then guided the Solaris Federation President down a line of stiff soldiers, each man and woman decked out in beret, collar and carefully burnished sandals and armed with a dummy "parade" phaser rifle with gleaming white web strap down its length. Each had their hair long, done into a braid reminiscent of the British Army of the 1700's.

After that, in carefully (if hastily) worked out protocol, everyone walked into the assembly hall that bisected the island and the relieved soldiers were allowed to resume their regular duties, out of sight of the prying eyes of the entire galaxy.

In the assembly hall, both leaders kept up their small chit-chat, as the press reassembled in bleachers on the far side. A table had been set up with seats for both leaders, and with the formal document finalizing the trade agreement that had become the excuse for their meeting sitting ready for signature. The camera lighting was brought to full power, and everyone took their seats. The ladies made speeches about the good relations between Spica II and the Solaria Federation, their determination to see this continued, and how the trade agreement would help tremendously in furthering their shared aim. Then with a flourish, both in turn signed the trade agreement and held a photo op.

As everyone milled around, Yuki found herself with the opportunity to whisper in her boss' ear.

"Oh, right," he agreed, and turned to whisper diplomatically in TK's ear. "Did you and the President apply sunscreen before you left the shuttle?"

TK nodded. "Yes, that young pilot of ours made sure we had. The brief delay before we dropped the ramp upon arrival? That was the crowd lathering up."

Mike nodded. "Good. Yuki was worried."

TK smiled approvingly. "She's a good administrative assistant, that one," he observed, and turned to Yuki to thank her for the suggestion. Yuki blushed at being recognized by someone so august as the Minister of Foreign Relations.

The Spicans left the Solarian party to rest and freshen up before the evening luncheon. Lucy and TK sipped on juices and chatted with the press and a few native Spicans around the swimming pool while a hard-working crew reset the assembly hall into a dining facility with tablecloths, napkins and fancy china and cutlery. The smell of gourmet cooking soon wafted temptingly through the air.

Lucy found herself talking to an officer's wife, chosen obviously for her diplomatic skills. "You've spent all your life in the nude?" she asked hesitantly, hoping she wasn't giving offence.

The officer's wife had dealt with offworlders often before, and had been asked the question by each and every one. "Yes, ever since I was out of diapers. My husband and children have been, too. To us, it's natural. I've had to wear clothing a couple of times, when I accompanied my husband with occasional off-world duties, and I have to say it feels weird to wear clothes. I don't know how people on textile planets put up with them." She cocked her head contemplatively. "I've found that any visitors to this planet has found that they get used to dressing naturally, like we are right now, usually within a few minutes."

Mike noted that a number of the reporters and staff were glancing longingly at the pool. In the tropical heat of the island, it certainly looked inviting, but nobody wanted to dive in before the senior ranking guest.

"Mr. President," he ventured, whispering in Lucy's ear and pointing out the potential swimmers, "I think it would be politic to take a dip into the pool right now."

Grateful at the suggestion, she nodded and turned to TK. "Race you!"

TK was somewhat portly and out of condition, clearly no contest for the older but far fitter Lucy. The pool itself was a free-form one, not conducive to racing, with a swim-up bar at the shallow end. The two politicians slipped into the cool water and accepted drinks from the young female bartender. Within minutes, most of the people were soaking in the refreshing water, with a few paddling out into the deeper end.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.