The Tree House - Book 2 - Cover

The Tree House - Book 2

Copyright© 2010 by AJ Martin

Chapter 16

It was so nice getting it right. Michelle was happy as a clam and well, Lindie just smiled at me. That huge broad grin that for over eleven years I had not seen was wonderful. I knew I'd try to put that on her face every possible second.

And I wanted a smile on Michelle's face just as frequently too. She was trembling in my arms expressing physically her glee at the surprise of being at her favorite eatery.

As Michelle's kisses began to wane and she started to settle down, Lindie leaned into me and put her hand on my cheek. Then she wrapped her fingers on the back of my jaw, lifting and pulling my face to hers.

"I know what Michelle wants. What do you want?" Lindie asked.

"You!" I said with a false toothy grin.

Instantly there was that firm correcting, "Mom Look."

"Order for me," I laughed as her frown turned right-side-up again and into a smile. "I'll take whatever you think is best," I said as I handed her two twenties. I figured that one twenty would be enough but I wanted to make sure she had enough money for whatever was ordered.

With that transaction completed, I bent my head back so I could look Michelle in the eye. "I hear they have a fantastic playroom here. Let's see how good it is."

"Can I mom ... Can I?"

Lindie leaned into our daughters lip range and they exchanged a kiss. "Sure," Lindie told us. Then she thwapped my butt saying, "Get ... you two! I'll bring the food out to the play room in a moment."

The thrill was still in Michelle's voice when she said, "Thanks mom."

I could see she had no intention of being put down so she would be under her own power. I didn't want it that way either. I was in heaven and I had my angel in my arms.

We had taken but a few steps toward the monster looking room filled with squares and tubes, slides and platforms to play on when Michelle pressed her face into my neck and whispered "Thanks dad."

Then even more softly, she added, "Usually I have to eat all of my food before I can play."

At that, I played DAD for a second. "Well, you still have to take a time out from playing to eat, Peanut."

Michelle didn't answer me but I felt her grip on my neck tighten. She gave a few sobs into my neck and I felt some familiar moisture building on my shoulder.

"Dad, why are you so nice to me?"

"Because it's easy," I told her. "And because I love you and mom."

"It's been hard," Michelle said. "Living with Grandmother, it's been hard. I don't think she loves me or mom at all."

"It's OK. Michelle. You're here now and you won't ever have to go back there," I told her as my hand reached for the door to the semi-private play area.

Michelle repeated, "I love you dad." Words she had said before and words I loved to hear.

I set her down once the door closed behind us and gave her a pat on her butt telling her "Go Play! I'll call you when dinner is ready."

There were a few other kids playing in the tubular maze. As soon as Michelle slipped off her Mary Janes, putting them into one of the footwear cubbyhole holes, she disappeared into the maze.

I remembered I had sighed when I had stepped out of the bathroom and spied her standing there in the master bedroom with her very brightly lit face. Her hair had been tucked back in her usual blue ribbon tied pony tail. She had on a light blue Shirley Temple dress with white leotards underneath.

She was dressed like a princess. I knew she would want to play in the Jungle Gym and had thought of requesting a change of clothes and then thought better of it. I didn't know if it was a custom to get dressed up when she and Lindie went out for their weekly dine-out but I sort of figured, no!

Sure it was a bit much to wander up and down all of those tubes dressed like Shirley Temple. But there was no way I was going to say anything about it. I was sure the dress up tonight was just for me. The name of the game tonight was FUN!

Many a time I had seen Lindie wear just about the same dress as I peered down at her from my perch in the Tree House after she started to get all bumpy. I'd watched her spinning and dancing in her back yard.

That kind of dress had done her mother good. I loved the way it flared out when she spun. Then I thought about how I had giggled when she spun real fast and it showed her white panties.

As I thought about it, I wondered if it was the same dress. Perhaps it was.

Lindie sort of said that when they had left her dad and Rock Creek so many years ago, all they packed was a single suitcase each. Perhaps it was the same dress. Part of what had been left behind.

After all, all Michelle had brought with her when she arrived was a single suitcase too. She couldn't have brought very much with her to Rock Creek. It almost had to be the same dress Lindie spun around in when she was Michelle's age.

As I sat watching my daughter peek out the various holes and windows in that monster maze, I waved back at her. It was heartwarming and heart wrenching at the same time to think this is what she did year after year for fun. The best part was, this was something I was sure she would enjoy for the rest of her life. Something I could enjoy with her.

Lindie was soon at my side placing the tray of food on our table. She commented on the wet spot on my shoulder saying with a pointed finger, "What's that from?"

"Peanut," I said. There was a question in her eyes and then I decided to play it out a little. "I called Peanut ... Peanut!"

Lindie laughed and smiled her magnificent smile. I could see a question trying to form in her mind so I simply said, "She asked me why I was being so nice to her. It was simple. I told her because I loved her!"

Reaching for my hand and leaning to me so our lips could meet, I saw the beginnings of a few tears in her eyes. "She needs someone to love her. I'm glad it's her dad."

"Me too," I said as out lips came together. I felt a little rain drop fall onto my upper lip as we kissed. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. Not Lindie's hand but Michelle's. She had hugged in behind us and as our lips parted, she laughed and said quietly, "Get a Room!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.