Could It Happen?
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2010 by Westside24

General Hal Corbin had just finished putting on his dress green uniform when his landline phone rang.

“Sir, it’s Bob Nichols, we have secured the objectives and are awaiting your arrival.”

“Thanks Bob, good job. The head of the Secret Service phoned me about one half hour ago and wanted to confirm that we were serious in requesting the President and his family be evacuated to Camp David. I told him we were. I guess he confirmed our seriousness when he looked out the window and saw a company of the 82nd Airborne out on the front lawn of the White House. I am sure the Representatives and Senators will also have a lot of questions when they see another company surrounding the Capital building. I should be there in twenty minutes.”

Hal had told his current lover earlier before she left for work that this could be a busy news day. She said that there were no major announcements expected so she didn’t know why he would say something like that. While she had her own condo most of her nights were spent with Hal at his quarters. They were able to hide their relationship from the public. A few in the military were aware of this relationship but out of their deep respect for Hal they kept silent.

She was a television news reporter and had just been appointed as the White House reporter for a major television cable news network. It seemed that this network had a propensity for hiring good looking blond long haired women. There was almost a twenty year difference in their ages and without a doubt she was one of the most beautiful women he had ever met or had the pleasure of being intimate with. She was a sexual tigress in bed and all that he could want or handle. Being intimate with a woman that beautiful was something that most men could only dream about. He could only wonder what she saw in him that attracted her. He couldn’t say if he loved her or she loved him and only time would tell if their relationship would develope into something more.

Hal took one last look around the room and left his quarters to go outside where his vehicle and driver were waiting for him.

General Hal Corbin was the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He was the youngest military man ever to achieve the rank of a four star general and be in his present position. Hal was one of the most highly decorated soldiers earning his awards both in Afghanistan and in the two Iraq wars. Among his many awards was the Medal of Honor. Being good looking with his sandy colored hair turning gray and having bright blue eyes had women swooning over him. His confident yet caring leadership style won him the respect of the men he commanded.

There had been some discussion among the Military Chiefs of Staff on where this country was heading. Record deficient spending and the socialistic governing agenda were the primary concerns. Another concern was a proposed drastic reduction in our nuclear weapons without a corresponding reduction from other nations which had put the ability to defend ourselves in a very precarious position. All of these men had taken an oath to defend the country from enemies both from outside and from within. It was the within enemies that had been bothering these men. They knew they weren’t alone in having these concerns since various polls showed the great majority of the country was also concerned about the uncontrolled spending that was being done.

The Military Chiefs of Staff came up with a plan they thought which would save and protect this country. The seizing of the White House and Capitol building were the first steps in implementing their plan.

Instead of being driven to the White House, Hal was driven to the helipad at the Pentagon. He entered a waiting helicopter and was flown to the White House front lawn. There he was greeted by Major General Robert Nichols.

“How is it going Bob?”

“So far so good sir. Some of the civilians are asking questions but there haven’t been any big problems. The President’s Chief of Staff isn’t here yet and he will be a sore point for you to handle when he does get here.”

“If you haven’t yet give notice that there will be a press conference in one hour. I am sure all of the major television news networks will want to televise this conference and will break into their regular programming if they haven’t done so already because of the troops surrounding the White House and Congress.”

They walked through the White House till they arrived at the oval office. Bob left to check on the press conference. Major Richard Reynolds, Hal’s aide-de-camp was there with a large cup of black coffee he handed to Hal.

“How is it going Dick?”

‘These are interesting times General.”

“You haven’t seen anything yet.”

Suddenly a door slammed open and into the Oval Office burst Bruce White, the President’s Chief of Staff. Hal had met him a few times before and Hal had to acknowledge that this man was knowledgeable as to the intricacies of Washington politics. He immediately gave you the impression that he was one tough cookie and someone you would never want to turn you back on.

Bruce White’s conversation started with him saying “What the fuck are you doing?” and went downhill from there with him spewing out a litany of expletives. When he ran out of swear words he looked to Hal for some response,

Hal coldly looked at Bruce and said to his aide. “Dick, will you see if you can find a storage box and see that this man is escorted to clean out his desk of his personal items and then removed from the White House premises.”

“You can’t do that! I am the President’s Chief of Staff!”

With a firm tone to his voice and his eyes burning into this man Hal said in a chilling voice, “You were... , let me repeat that, you were the Chief of Staff and you blew it. You helped promote this socialistic agenda with its never ending spending binge. You let the President trample on the Constitution with his appointment of Czars, recess appointments and his attempting to pass laws that only congress can do. These were things you should have stopped or controlled but you just didn’t care and now something needs to be done to end this madness.”

A wave of Hal’s hand had two husky MP’s entered the room who he told to forcibly escort the Chief of Staff out of the office.

A few minutes later there was a knock at the door and Bob Nichols entered.

“Sir it is my understanding that the tape you and the other Chiefs of Staff made explaining your reasons as to what is happening has been shown to the key military men in all of the services. Their reported response has been positive. One of the commanders was reported to have said, “It’s about time.” I understand that they want to show this tape to the troops under their command. I told them it would be okay to do that but not until the press conference is over which is due to start in fifteen minutes.”

“Good thinking and no problem with that Bob.”

Hal was sipping on his coffee thinking of what he was going to say to the press. He had made some notes on 3x5 cards. Teleprompters were crutches that he wouldn’t use and he thought those that did were good speech makers but never spoke from their heart. Hal also wondered if the teleprompter was being used by advisors to give hints back to the speaker on how to respond to questions that were being asked of him. Never in American history had something like this military takeover ever happened and he hoped it would never happen again.

There was a soft knock on the door and his aide entered saying, “Sir, it’s time.”

As Hal was approaching the room where the press conferences were held he could hear the loud talk that was going on in the room. In entering the room there was a hush and attention centered on him. In looking around the room he saw his current lover looking him. Hal could see the questioning look in her eyes of why he hadn’t tipped her as to what was going on. It looked like he was going to need to grovel a little with her later but he thought the make-up sex should be terrific.

Hal looked at the television camera and started off by saying, “For those of you, who do not know me, my name is Hal Corbin and I am presently the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. I am holding this press conference to advise you of some action that has been taken and of some changes that are or will be occurring.”

It was very quite in the room as the attention was centered on Hal. He could sense or feel the television cameras that were transmitting his image across America and maybe the world.

“It has become quite apparent to the American public that our government in recent months has become dysfunctional. This is especially true of the executive branch and legislative branch. The recent passage of the Affordable Care Act will nationalize our healthcare system and increase our national debt substantially. Our national debt which presently is some sixteen trillion dollars and increasing will leave a legacy for generations to come to pay for and that just isn’t right. There are also provisions in this healthcare law some of which that are now just coming to light as mandatory birth control assistance which crosses the line in our Constitution separating Church and State.

Congress passed a law referred to as ‘Pay as you go.’ The law required that any new spending be accompanied by provisions on how this spending would be paid for. One Senator asked that this law be applied to a new spending bill and both sides of the aisle demeaned and chastised him for nothing more than asking that the law be applied. They then voted and pass the bill while disregarding the law that they passed!”

“The executive branch recently ruled that we are required to give a Miranda warning to enemy combatants we take prisoners. In other words we are required to tell someone who is not in uniform and is not an American citizen that we have captured in combat in a foreign land, that they don’t need to say anything about their plans to kill us. Further if they want we will give them a lawyer at our expense. Osama bin Laden had said and now his followers are continuing to vow to kill all American captives and we are giving Miranda warnings to non-American enemy combatants we capture in a foreign country? My comments on that ruling suffice to say is that the requirement is asinine. It seems we are more concern with the rights of our enemies than the rights and especially the lives of our soldiers and citizens. The recent trial of some of our military men and the continuing investigation into the CIA and its attorneys will attest to this. Our priorities excuse the expression, have gotten ass backwards.”

“Based on these actions, we in the military and judging by the polls, the majority of the American public feels that our present government is dysfunctional. To that end we have concluded that the only solution to this problem is to declare that martial law in effect.”

Now there was a large buzz in the room. Hal just stood by the podium and stared down people in attendance until there was silence in the room.

“Understand that while martial law exists it means that the military will be overseeing the operation of the government. We don’t intend martial law to be a permanent solution to this lack of an effective government. We are not extending martial law to individual states, at least not at the present time. We are requiring that national elections be held eight weeks from today to elect a President and Vice-President as well as a complete new slate of Representatives and Senators. Some may say that is not enough time to select the candidates but other countries limit their campaigning to six weeks so it can be done.

In addition to these elections we are also asking that the following issues be approved by the State Legislators and presented to the voters of their States to vote on as amendments to our constitution.”

“The first one deals with requiring the President to submit and Congress to pass a balance budget. If the American citizens are expected to live within their means so should the federal government. Will this requirement for a balanced budget mean cuts in services, programs, government salaries and increased taxes as well as increasing the number of people that actually do pay taxes? Probably, but that is to be expected. Everyone who has enjoyed this never ending spending binge will need to pull in their belts tighter until we can reduce our national debt and the size of this government.”

“Some of the problems we face are because our career elected officials are either running for re-election, raising funds for re-election or are trying to gain favor with the electorate through pork barrel spending. To that end we are proposing a constitutional amendment which will change the length of terms of Representatives and Senators as well as the President and impose term limits. The proposal is for one six year term for the President, two six year terms for a Senator and three four year terms for a Representative. Part of that amendment is that the voting ballot itself, now and in the future indicate who the incumbents for that office are if there are any. Let the voter see who presently is in office and if they should be retained rather than just see the name and the political party they represent.”

“There will also be a proposed amendment to eliminate the lifetime appointment of federal judges to include the Supreme Court. A ten year appointment of federal judges with an option to renew for another ten years by Congress is the proposal as Federal Judges should be subject to review. They are supposed to interpret law and not legislate from the bench. Some of their rulings as to invalidate propositions passed by the majority voters in a State are ludicrous and they should be answerable to these same voters through their Senators. These judges should also gracefully retire when it’s time.”

“We are also asking for a constitutional amendment banning earmarks. A project or proposal for spending should be able to stand on its own merits and take an up or down vote. We are asking for the voters to agree to the banning of this practice of earmarks. Along with the banning of earmarks we are asking the voters to give the power of a line item veto to the President. Tacking spending items on to an important bill is a backdoor way around proper fiscal control and needs to end.”

“We are further requesting that all of the present members of the cabinet remain in office and administer their offices with our oversight until there are the new elections. We are however requiring that the present Attorney General be replaced by the head of the Army’s Judge Advocate Corps. While the present Attorney General appears to be an honorable man, his rulings on terrorism has shown that he does not understand we are at war with an enemy who has sworn to kill our citizens and eliminate our way of life. This is a military action we are engaged in and not some criminal violation of our laws.”

“Further it’s time for him as the Attorney General to accept responsibility for the botch operation of giving guns to dope smugglers. I don’t know if he knew about this operation but if he didn’t he should have and that ultimate responsibility comes with the job.”

“All of the unelected and appointed Czar positions are being immediately eliminated.”

“Finally I would like to address myself to those nations or countries that are not friendly to us. Please don’t misconstrue the problems we are having at home with a lack of resolve on our part to defend ourselves or our allies. Those countries that have or are developing nuclear weapons need to think long and hard about wanting to have that capability. Our stated policy of not using nuclear weapons on a first strike basis is being reconsidered. I will say that any attack upon this country, our armed forces or our allies with that type of material will be dealt with severely. No matter whom attacks, once it is determined where that nuclear material came from, that country will be dealt with to include our use of nuclear weapons. Please note that I did include our allies in that statement.”

“Executive order 11905 prohibiting the assassination of political leaders is being rescinded.”

That remark brought a somber silence to the room.

“Now I do have time for a few questions.”

Hal pointed to and took his first question from a very attractive newly appointed White House reporter, a person he was intimately familiar with. She rose and asked, “Where are the President and the Vice-President?”

“The President is presently at Camp David. The Vice-President is at his quarters. They are free to come and go as they wish but without the trappings and perks that come with the office. As I said, everyone needs to sacrifice during these difficult times.”

Another reporter asked, “What about a missile defense shield in Europe?”

“I think it’s a good idea and a defense our allies need. While Russia doesn’t care for it I haven’t seen where they have done anything to lessen the threat of radical nations having missiles. Countries unfriendly to us and to our allies are developing missiles that they say can hit our allies and us. We need to be able to defend against that possibility. To me it makes good sense that we have this ability but the final decision on this missile shield however is up to the next President.”

Asked by a reporter who appeared to be Hispanic, “Do you have any thoughts about our southern border?

“Yes I do. I will say that protecting our borders is fundamental to protecting the safety of our citizens. Mexico heavily protects its southern border but it doesn’t do as much about their northern border. While we want to be a good neighbor, it’s a two way street and I would like to see Mexico doing more to help solve this problem. I will have more to say on this next week.”

A major news network television reporter asked, “What about the Canadian pipeline that has been put on hold?”

“Again that’s a no-brainer, I will be issuing an executive order authorizing its construction. Further I will also entertain bids from companies that want to build refineries on government land close to the pipeline. Why the pipeline needs to go all the way to Texas is something that needs to be re-thought. This is something that should have been done long ago.”

“Won’t that anger the environmentalist?”

“I imagine that it will, but until they can tell me where we get the energy that heats their homes, powers their cars, fuels the planes that they fly in and comes with a price that all our citizens can afford, their anger will fall on deaf ears. There are other causes they have also championed that have hurt this country. Not all they do is bad but the reverse of that is also true.”

A liberal news network reporter rose to ask, “What about climate change legislation?”

“First of all there are two schools of thought as to if there is climate change and if man is causing it. The matter needs to be studied further. Also until China and India will agree to abide by environmental agreements it would do no good for us to agree to some environmental treaty that will drastically affect our economy. I will say though, that some people have made a lot of money by their advocacy of climate change. What bothers me is that those same people live a life style of having large multiple homes and fly around in private airplanes. It seems to be a do-as-I-say and not do-as-I-do message that they are giving.”

A long time White House reporter asked. “Will this martial law delay the trial of the 9/11 terrorists in New York?”

“I am glad you asked that question as I overlooked commenting on these trials. We will not give these terrorist a form for them to spew their anti-American venom for the entire world to see. They are military combatants and as such will receive justice at the hands of military tribunals. Their trials will be held at Guantanamo naval base and will start in thirty days. We will also make adjustments so that their treatment as prisoners is more in line with how we treat our civilian prisoners who are in our max security prisons and get away from the Club Fed atmosphere.

“What about energy independence?”

“I will have more to say on that next week but let me say this. Environmentalists were up in arms when the Alaskan pipeline was proposed many years ago. They said it would hurt the migrating caribou population and damage the environment. If we were to shut down this pipeline now they would once again be up in arms saying that it would hurt this now vastly increased caribou population. They have seen the pictures of the caribou huddling around this pipeline in the winter trying to warm themselves. We can and should do things that don’t hurt our environment in this mineral rich area.”

“What are your thoughts on the Affordable Healthcare Act?”

“There is time before that goes into effect for adjustments made to it so I will leave that concern up to the voters, Congress and the new President to handle.”

From white hair liberal cable news commentator who would praise the President at every opportunity and happened to be in attendance Hal received the question, “What qualifies you to run the country?”

Looking directly at this former political assistant then news reporter now turned news commentator Hal said, “While I don’t think me being the temporary acting President will give you tingles up and down your legs I am probably more qualified to run the country than you are to be a news commentator.”

That was a verbal slap in the face and one that the members of the press corps were not use to receiving.

“It’s a job that I didn’t seek and it’s a job that I hoped I would never have. But I do now have it and I hope the administrative and leadership skills I have learned in the military as well as my MBA and PhD will enable me to handle this position for the short time I intend to be in this position. I do think that my back ground gives me more fiscal and managerial experience than that of a community organizer.”

Again the press corps was not used to being addressed in this manner and weren’t quite sure on how to react to Hal.

“I would like to say that I respect the rights of an open and free press. Freedom of speech is one of our basic freedoms and one that I have sworn to uphold. With our actions today I am sure I will receive some negative coverage and hopefully some positive coverage as stories are reported. You as usual are free to write and spin this news to your liking. I will say this, what you sow you will reap. If you are completely negative in your reporting and not fair and balanced, your access to the White House and the government may not be what you expect it to be. I have seen some reporters whose bias was evident and did not care for the politician or person they were interviewing. In one instance with eye glasses on the tip of the interviewer’s nose, the questions being asked were geared to embarrass this politician being interviewed. The interview was conducted like an old television program called, ‘Stump the Stars.’ That is something I will not tolerate and will call the reporter, network or newspaper on it when I see it being done. Why someone would want to enter public service facing all of this scrutiny on them and their family that none of you would want to have imposed on yourselves is something I don’t understand. I do like to see a level playing field and bias eliminated in news reporting.”

“And while I am on the subject of bias another example that comes to mind had to do with this same prominent politician who wrote a book. A news service assigned five people to fact check her book. But when a prominent member of the opposing party had written his two books no one was assigned to fact check what he had written. There was even a question as to who had written those two books that was never explored. Based on that action do you expect me and the public to believe there is no bias in your reporting?”

That comment brought a temporary lull in the reporters asking questions.

“Thank you for your attention and I hope to have more press conferences in the future.”

He turned his back to the press corps and left the room with questions being shouted at him.

Hal was a little surprised to see the Secretary of Defense waiting for him and they walked back to the oval office together. Hal had a good working relationship with this man and respected and valued his opinions.

“Well Sir, give me your honest opinion. How do you think it went?”

“As good as can be expected with a press corps that has an inflated opinion about themselves, some of which who fancy themselves as celebrities. I think the American public will see and appreciate what you are trying to do and the great majority of them will be completely behind you. When it was reported that our troops where surrounding the White House the stock market opened lower but at the end of your press conference the market was recovering. It is too early to expect comments from our allies but I would expect they will be cautiously favorable. I wouldn’t be surprised to see favorable comments from China and Japan on our reducing the national debt since they hold so much of our paper. Of course you realize my official position will be to be against the imposition of martial law but unofficially something needed to be done to straighten out this mess. I’ll be in touch with you and don’t let your guard down.”

In entering the oval office Hal’s aide said, “Sir, the commanders have reported that Army, Marine and Reserve units per your orders are assembled and are on alert for immediate deployment if assisting in crowd control becomes necessary.”

“Thanks Dick.”

The remainder of the day was busy but manageable. A number of Senators and Representatives wanted to see Hal. He told his aide to make appointments for them for tomorrow. When he heard that some politicians were holding anti-martial law press conferences inside the Capitol, Hal asked his aide to have the MP’s afford them the same treatment they had afforded the President’s Chief of Staff. They were major players who had contributed heavily to the current problems and they could hold their press conferences elsewhere. Maybe they would be re-elected, Hal didn’t know. He hoped that some of them wouldn’t be but that was not for him to decide.

Where to spend the night presented a minor problem. If he went back to his quarters, security and communications because of his new position would be a challenge and his relationship with his companion would eventually be revealed to the public. By default the White House was the best place for him to be. He phoned his lover on her cell phone to tell her where he was going to be.

Her caller ID told her who was calling. In a sexy voice that showed she considered herself to be his equal she said, “Well, you have been a busy little boy.”

“I did tell you today was going to be an interesting news day.”

“Yes you did, but you could have given me a heads up on what was going down. If I could have broken the news first it would have shown my boss that he didn’t make a mistake when he gave me the White House assignment. I understand there is a tape which is being shown to the military explaining why you are doing what you are doing. Can I get a copy?”

‘I’ll have a copy sent to you right away. I did call on you for the first question in trying to make up from not telling you about this event. I thought every woman in the room was jealous when you stood up to ask your question. I know every man had his eyes on you. They all were mesmerized by your beauty. My thoughts in looking at you besides acknowledging your beauty was of knowing of your habit of not wearing panties. There is something erotic in knowing that when I look at you. Putting that thought aside what has been the reaction to what has happen?”

“I want you to save that thought. It does something to me when I know someone is looking at me and knows what I am not wearing. In answer to your question, the conservative news media is solidly behind you. The liberal news media hasn’t come down on you as hard as might have been expected. I think your parting shot to them about access and bias has tempered their approach. When am I going to see you? You know that power is a very strong aphrodisiac and Hal you do have the power now.”

“You know I do miss you. I don’t know what you see in an old fart like me but I do have dreams about you. That next to nothing teddy you wear gives my heart palpitations. It wouldn’t do us any good if our relationship were to become public knowledge. You then would become the story. I am going to be staying here at the White House, so any plans of us meeting at my quarters are out. Perhaps your network might want to do a little interview with me by a newly appointed White House reporter. Some of that interview could be as they say, “exploring the matter in depth.”

Hal heard a giggle on the phone and then, “You have such away of phrasing things that are right on point. I think something like that can be arranged. Perhaps you could give me a tour of the White House. I have never seen the Lincoln bedroom. Should I bring my teddy?”

“You won’t need it. When I give you the tour I am sure you will appreciate seeing the Lincoln bedroom ceiling.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.