A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 27

Steven was delighted that Becca had seemingly found a young man that she was actually interested in. Although there was also a tinge of regret that this might eventually lead to her leaving him he had to admit that this was what he had decided was best for her.

Becca was torn. She enjoyed being with Edward. He was amusing, interesting and was treating her with respect. On the other hand he was preventing her devoting all her spare time to Steven and that was a concern to her. She wondered if she was being unfaithful. There was no point in talking to Steven about it because, whatever his feelings might really be, he would pooh-pooh her concerns. After all, he had been the one to intimate that she had not tried hard enough to find a boyfriend before.

She rang Edward on Monday evening to tell him that she could make the library at one o'clock for half an hour on Wednesday. He said he would meet her in the reference section.

"I've been thinking," he said. "You really only want to take out one book at a time so I suggest that you start with the period after the Romans left until the Vikings began to be a serious threat in the ninth century. That period is entirely Anglo-Saxon. If that stirs your interest we can then find you a second book that takes you through to the Norman invasion and a united England."

"OK," she smiled. "You're my professor."

He chose her a book which was part of the Oxford University Shorter History Of England.

"Crumbs," she said. "How big's the Complete History?"

Edward chuckled. "You'd need several pantechnicons. Anyway, see how you find that. If you find it a bit heavy going let me know and we'll try again."

Becca dutifully read some on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Since living with Steven her reading speed had increased and her vocabulary had expanded hugely. She did not find it difficult or boring although some of the names took a little working out.

The dancing on Friday evening started less than well. That Edward had not done much was an understatement. Becca reckoned he had never done more than rock in time to the music. He was a quick learner though and, after the first hour, which was lightened by helpless laughter from both of them, he was getting round the floor without treading on her toes too often. There were more foxtrots in the second hour and towards the end Becca allowed him to do little more than rock to them. He was intoxicated by her lightness and softness in his arms, the smell of her hair and the touch of her cheek against his. For her part, she felt at home dancing with him as she had with Tom and, of course, Steven. She also liked the way he held her, almost as though she was fragile but yet firmly enough for him to lead. Somehow he made her feel immensely valuable. When they set out in search of food their hands unthinkingly found each other's.

They went back to The Cross Keys. Being a Friday, it was packed and they had to wait a full half hour for their meal. That mattered not one bit. They were totally engrossed in each other.

"I really enjoyed that," said Edward. "Thank you for being so patient with me."

"Well done you for picking it up so quickly. I loved dancing with you. My last partner when I was competing was brilliant but he was such a berk that I never really enjoyed dancing with him."

"I didn't know you had danced in competitions. Tell me more."

Becca started with Steven's introducing her to dancing, the classes and then the competitions with Tom. She glossed over Blackpool.

"Where were you placed at Blackpool even if it was with a berk?"

"Second."

"But that's brilliant."

Becca shrugged. "If it had been Tom and me we'd have won. There was just no chemistry between me and Christopher so it was mechanical, no feeling."

"In that case you've been doubly patient with me."

She smiled. "The thing is I enjoyed dancing with you. If you can bear it I'd like to go again."

"You bet I could bear it."

"Good! Why have you never really done any before?"

"Lack of opportunity and interest, I suppose. I was invited to a few dances at home but being at a boys only boarding school and not having a sister I was shy of girls so I never asked one to dance."

"That's a shame." She grinned mischievously. "We're not all predators, you know."

He laughed. "I know that but I didn't know what to talk about."

"We haven't been exactly silent."

"No," he said seriously, "but I met you at work and that somehow made it easier. I still had to pluck up courage to invite you out the first time."

"I'm glad you did because they've all been fun as far as I'm concerned."

"Me too. By the way, have you done your homework?"

"Yup! I've read a chapter each evening."

"How's it going?"

"Well. The names are quite something. I'm OK with Egbert and even Athelstan but some of the others I just sort of say 'that one'."

"There's an absolutely hilarious book called '1066 And All That' and they talk about a wave of egg kings such as Egbert, Eggfroth and Eggfilth but nobody knows by what egg-death they perished."

Becca laughed. "I must read it."

"I'll lend it to you when you're a bit further down the line."

They chattered happily on until closing time. Instead of staying in the car to say goodnight Edward got out and opened Becca's door for her. They stood holding both hands.

"When am I going to see you again?" he asked.

"Come for lunch on Sunday. I'd like you to meet Uncle Steven."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure. Why do you think I asked you?"

Edward looked down. She giggled. "Now don't go all shy on me."

He smiled back and then pulling her towards him kissed her tentatively. She pulled her hands away and put her arms around him.

"Another one please," she whispered.

His arms went round her and they kissed again longer and more firmly. Edward broke it and laid his cheek against hers.

"You're the first girl I've ever kissed," he murmured in her ear. "I'm going to want to kiss you some more."

"Mmm!"

He did so just as sweetly. He pulled back slightly and then kissed each eyelid. "You have very beautiful eyes. I don't think I've ever seen such lovely ones."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.