A Just Reward
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Becca quietly organised everything for Rita's visit. She let Mary Witherspoon into the secret because she felt she had to have her approval for Nell to model. Mary was a little apprehensive until Becca told her that Isobel would be chaperoning them whereupon she became enthusiastic and thanked Becca profusely for what she was doing for Nell. Becca merely told Nell that she was throwing a lunch party and would be grateful for some help in the preparation.

Nell was a little disconcerted to find that all she was required to do was carve some cold chicken and some ham and help prepare a salad. Becca did actually cook some meringues, slice some strawberries and whip some cream.

Steven, knowing what was going on, decided to make himself scarce. "I don't envy poor Tom," he said, "surrounded by chattering females."

"He'll survive," said Becca cheerfully. "He'll just make calf's eyes at Nell."

Steven chuckled. "In that case, poor Nell, she'll spend the entire time pink with embarrassment."

Becca laughed too. "She'll love it."

Tom and Isobel arrived slightly early. Tom pretended to be surprised to see Nell.

"Hello," he said. "What brings you here?"

"Skivvying but I am allowed to have lunch with you. Her ladyship does not require me to remain in the servants' quarters."

"How gracious of her," he laughed.

Becca blew them both a raspberry. "Isobel, could I ask you to deal with the adult drinks. I've no idea how to do gin and tonic. The glasses are here, the gin's here and the tonic's in the fridge."

"You bet," said Isobel. "Yum! Gin at lunchtime. What a treat!"

Rita arrived shortly afterwards, greeted Becca and Tom and was introduced to Isobel and Nell. She looked at Nell appreciatively.

"You're even prettier than you are in the photographs," she said.

Nell stared at her open mouthed for a moment. "Ph-photographs?" she stammered.

Rita smiled delightedly. "We'd like you to join these two and do some modelling for us."

Nell gaped at her again and then realisation dawned. "You!" she exclaimed looking at Becca.

Becca smilingly nodded.

"Oh, Becca, thank you," she ran forward and hugged her. "Thank you! Thank you!" She stopped for a moment and a worried look replaced her smile. "What about Aunt Mary?"

"She's in on the plot too and is almost as thrilled as you."

"Oh whee-ee-ee!" Nell whirled delightedly.

Tom's face was a picture of joy but he said nothing.

"Drinks," said Becca authoritatively.

"We've been offered gin and tonic," said Isobel to Rita. "Does that sound a good idea?"

"Wonderful. Thank you."

"Ginger pop?" Becca asked the others. They both nodded.

They sat down in the sitting room.

"May I suggest that we get business out of the way and then you, Rita, can relax and enjoy yourself?" asked Becca.

"Thank you," said Rita inwardly amazed at the confidence and ability of such a young girl. Isobel smiled to herself. She knew her niece and was becoming daily more impressed with her.

"Right then," said Rita opening her brief case and handing round last year's autumn catalogue. "You'll see that most of the things we do are woollens: jerseys, cardigans, jackets and skirts. There are some blouses and shirts and there is some lingerie. We won't be asking you to model any of that. We have a big room at the factory which we use as a studio for the photography and where we erect screens for you to change behind. Your make-up will be done outside them so that nobody ever need come into your changing area"

Tom had skimmed through the catalogue. "There doesn't appear too much for me to do," he said. "There are only a couple of men's pages in thirty odd female pages."

Rita smiled. "Quite right," she said, "but we are planning to expand our range of menswear this year so you'll be kept pretty busy. All the same the girls will have the most to do so bring a good book. Now, I said you would be working from eight till six or possibly later with an hour for lunch. That was just to test your enthusiasm. We can get probably get away with nine to five depending on how things go and there will be morning and afternoon breaks for tea or coffee. Does that sound reasonable?"

They all nodded.

"I need your measurements. Do you know them or do I need to measure you?"

"You'd better measure us just to be on the safe side," said Becca.

Rita did so handing the tape measure to Isobel to do Tom.

"Now your hotel. I shall be booking you in at The George. I'm sorry, Becca, it's only three star but a good three star."

Becca pulled a face and shrugged. "She still is an eighteen year-old," thought Rita.

"I'll be booking three rooms: one for you, Isobel, one for you, Tom, and one for you two girls. Is that OK?"

They all nodded.

"It's also got a heated swimming pool so bring swimsuits. Now the food allowance. Sounds awful, doesn't it? Your rooms include breakfast. You can have a pretty good lunch in the canteen for seven and six (37.5p). Tea or coffee mid-morning and afternoon are free but biscuits or buns will cost you another sixpence (2.5p). A three course dinner at your hotel averages seven pounds ten (£7.50). So we plan to give you eight quid a day which might allow you to have one meal out. What do you think?"

The children all looked at Isobel.

Her eyes were dancing as she looked back at Rita. "A pretty skimpy meal out," she said. "These kids have enormous appetites."

Rita grinned back then sucked her teeth in mock disapproval. "How about a tenner?" she replied.

"Done!" said Isobel. The two women smiled at each other. There was a rapport.

"Well," said Rita, "I think that about covers it. I shall be there all day every day to see that you're OK. Has anyone got any questions?"

There was a short silence. Clearly everyone was satisfied with the arrangements.

"What about toothpaste?" asked Becca mischievously.

"Oh, don't worry," said Rita straight-faced. "If your teeth are a bit yellow in the morning make-up will paint them."

Everyone collapsed with laughter. On that note they went to have lunch. The conversation was light but dominated by Isobel, Rita and Becca. That did not mean that Tom and Nell were silent. They both contributed and humorously too.

Rita had been intrigued by the photographs of the girls in their coveralls and the one of Nell with a paint brush. She asked what they were about.

"We're a team of painters and decorators," said Nell. "We started with the children's home because we all wanted it to be more cheerful than when we had been there and then Becca said it would be a waste not to go on painting and make some money."

That led to telling Rita that the team members were all orphans but that now they were able to give some of the girls leaving the home a job as well.

How big an area do you cover?" she asked.

"Cycling distance," said Becca. "It's a pity because business seems to have peaked and we've had to turn down a couple of jobs that were too far away."

Everyone buckled to and helped with washing up and putting away. Rita was captivated by them. They were joyous and natural. This was going to be a really good photography session and fun too.

Isobel took Tom and Nell home. She had met Nell before but never really got to know her. She still did not but she liked her. She was a sweet, very pretty girl and, bearing in mind what she had gone through, remarkably perky. She could see that Tom was taken and why.

They all duly turned up on 12th August quarter of an hour early and reported to reception. Rita was called and came to greet them. She took them to the canteen and gave them coffee before taking them to the big room she had told them about. 'Big' was an understatement. It was vast. In the far corners were two screened off areas with signs saying 'Ladies Changing' and 'Gents Changing'. Between them and slightly forward of them was a table with make-up on it with some chairs beside it. Half way down the left hand side was a large stage two steps up. Facing it were two cameras on tripods flanked by lights. Behind the stage a white sheet had been hung on the wall. Between the two changing areas was a door leading to the lavatories.

As they came in, a small man in his fifties left the cameras and came over to them.

"This is Alan Curtis, the photographer," said Rita. She introduced the party to him and he shook each one by the hand. His smile was friendly and they all took to him.

He in turn introduced a lanky young man called Ray Crawshaw as his assistant. He also shook hands. It was a limp handshake and he avoided peoples' eyes. Tom mistrusted him but said nothing.

Alan said that he would like to take a number of photographs of each of them as they were. It would give him an idea of how each of them looked through the lens and give them an idea of the brightness of the lights and the flash. "You've got to avoid jumping and blinking," he explained.

That took them through to lunchtime. Afterwards they returned to find two make-up girls present. Rita introduced them and then led the girls into their changing area. There were two large clothes racks each with their name on and each costume was numbered. They were to work through them in order. Tom was shown a similar system. By the time that was over another woman had appeared whose job it was to do any pinning of clothes so that they fitted perfectly for each pose. Isobel appointed herself girls' wardrobe mistress.

Becca was chosen to start the proceedings. Tom and Nell went and sat down together out of the way. Becca emerged in her first outfit which appeared to fit her perfectly and went to make-up. The photography began and Nell went to change. Tom was last.

Six or eight photographs were taken of each outfit. Rita explained that as well as the different poses there were lighting and aperture variations which had to be tried. Ray was required to record each as well as adjust the lights as Alan requested. Rita also explained that the photographs would be developed and printed overnight and selection for the brochure would take place first thing in the morning. Any retakes would then be done.

The afternoon wore on and Alan finally called it a day at five o'clock. They had each modelled six outfits. They had a cup of tea and over it decided to have a swim. They went back to their hotel, collected their swim suits and went down to the pool. When they emerged from the changing rooms Tom was amused to see that Isobel and Becca both had green suits matching their eyes. He was quick to notice that Nell's blue one matched her eyes too. He was entranced by her. She had a much smaller bosom than the other two but it matched her petite body. He thought her legs were stunning but it was still her elfin face with its blonde halo of hair that captivated him. Becca might be beautiful. Indeed she was but he reckoned Nell beat her all ends up. He was sad when Nell put her swimming cap on.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.