A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 13

It was a fortnight before Helen had a team to replace those to be arrested. First of all she had to brief the Head of Social Services. Ernest Leeming, the principal of the home, reported directly to him and Helen normally had no dealings with the place.

To say that the Head was shocked would be a minor statement. He was horrified, appalled and guilt-stricken that he had noticed nothing amiss.

"Ernest always appeared a nice chap, totally committed to the welfare of the children and to be running a tight ship. Helen, I think I'd better leave this to you in case it rebounds on me. I suspect I may have to resign."

While able to call on the bank of supply teachers she could not give them details or firm dates. Many were not prepared to commit themselves on that basis. The fact that Mr Leeming was on the list of probables for arrest meant she had to find a temporary principal. That was beyond her and she decided that she would have to do it. Her boss concurred.

The plan was reasonably simple. One male and one female detective were allocated to each suspect. There were four more reserve pairs in case the children came up with more names. There were another six pairs to take statements from the children. All of these police would be in plain clothes and wait in a bus two hundred yards away and be called forward by radio when required. An inspector would accompany Nick, both in uniform, who would visit Mr Leeming, inform him of their suspicions and ask him to tell everyone, staff and children, to assemble in the dining room. Becca had told Nick that this was where assemblies were held. She had also drawn him a map of the ground floor.

At that stage Nick would arrest Mr Leeming for supplying girls for prostitution. The inspector would call in the team who would meet him in the entrance hall. The reserve police would scour the building for anyone not at assembly. Mr Leeming would be handed over to a constable who would take him to wait in the bus.

The police would then enter the dining room. The suspects would be arrested and removed. They and the principal would be taken to the police station where they would be questioned and held in custody pending a magistrate's hearing. Nick would invite Mr Wainright and Mrs Olney to take the children under ten elsewhere. He would then explain to everyone left what had happened and ask for further witnesses. Thereafter the plan was flexible. Helen would be called forward at the appropriate time to address the children and remaining staff.

Simultaneously with this operation another detachment would enter the premises of Mr Harley, arrest him and take the girls into protective custody and also for questioning. There was only one Harley resident at Undermoor and no Hurleys.

At eleven o'clock Nick and Inspector Roger Hollis entered the home. The receptionist rang for Mr Leeming.

"Good morning Mr Leeming," said Nick. "I am Chief Superintendent Crossley and this is Inspector Hollis. We would like to discuss some bad news with you. May we go to your office?"

Mr Leeming led the way.

"This is all very alarming," said Mr Leeming when they were all seated.

"It is indeed, sir. We have reason to believe that a number of the children here have and are being abused sexually and on occasions violently."

"I don't believe it," Mr Leeming exclaimed.

"I fear it's true though. We have statements naming members of your staff and saying what they have done."

"Who gave them to you? I have to admit that many of our children present or past are less than truthful."

"I'm afraid, Mr Leeming that the statements were made independently and corroborate each other."

"So what do you want to do? It really must not become public knowledge for the children's sake in particular."

"You bloody hypocrite," thought Nick. "I'm afraid it inevitably will, sir, if we prosecute and there is every indication that we will. What I would like you to do, sir, is call a general assembly in the dining room immediately."

"This is most irregular."

"Yes, sir, but I must ask you to comply with my request."

"Very well, Mr Crossley."

He went over to a table at the side of the room and switched on a microphone. "Attention, please! Attention, please! This is the principal speaking. All staff and children are to assemble immediately in the dining room for an important announcement."

The two policemen stood up.

"Thank you, Mr Leeming, and now I arrest you on suspicion of supplying girls for prostitution. You do not have to say anything but any thing you do say may be used in evidence."

Leeming went as white as a sheet. "What grounds have you got for that?" he stammered.

"Only one statement so far but I suspect we will have plenty more after a visit that is currently taking place at Mr Harley's house."

Leeming crumpled into his chair.

"I believe you are married, Mr Leeming. Do you wish to ring your wife and warn her that you may not be home this evening?"

Leeming stared at him and then reached for the telephone. He shook himself and then dialled.

"Hello, darling. It's me. I have to go to the police station to help them with their enquiries. I may not be home this evening ... I'm sorry I can't tell you now but will when I see you. Goodbye, darling."

Roger Hollis called the detachment forward on his radio. "This way, sir please," he said taking Leeming by the elbow.

All the police met in the entrance hall. Roger Hollis handed Leeming over to a constable and then they all filed into the dining room led by Nick. The chatter stopped abruptly and everyone present stared in wide-eyed silence. The police fanned out.

"Good morning, children," said Nick with a smile. "We gave you quite a surprise, didn't we? My name's Nick Crossley and this is Roger Hollis."

"Fookin' rozzers!" murmured a crackly half-broken voice.

"That's right," said Nick grinning cheerfully. "Fookin' rozzers."

There were some giggles and nudges.

"Good morning, members of the staff too," Nick went on. "I don't believe I know any of you although I do know a few names such as Mr Oliphant."

He paused and looked round expectantly. Oliphant raised his hand.

"Good morning, sir. Mr Mercer?"

He named all the suspects but interspersed them with Mr Wainright and Mrs Olney. He nodded and the police moved in and arrested the suspects, cautioning them and then leading them from the room. Wide eyes had been replaced by open mouths for those that remained.

Nick smiled at all those that were left. "That's the main excitement over," he said. "Mr Wainright and Mrs Olney, could I have a quiet word with you."

They joined him. "Sorry to call your names out with the others," he said, "but I didn't want them to get suspicious and not identify themselves. My sources of information have glowing reports of you both. Now, I am taking a chance that the young children have not been abused. Do you think I'm right?"

"I just don't know," said Mrs Olney. "Nothing would surprise me now."

"Well, this is what I would like you to do. Take all the under-tens out of the dining room and back to what they would normally be doing but just ask them if any of them have been abused. You'd do it better than we could. If there are any, let me know and I'll arrange for them to be interviewed by one of my girls with one of you present. Does that sound all right?"

They both agreed and started to collect the younger children and the remaining staff. Nick waited while they left, the rest of his team moving among the children and chatting to them to put them at ease.

When the younger children had all left Nick clapped his hands. "Now then," he said. "You will have heard what Mr Oliphant and the others were arrested for. Do any of you not understand or did not hear?" He paused. "Good. Did any of the other staff treat you like that?"

There was silence.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.