A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 12

It took a long time for Becca to fall asleep. Her mind kept leaping from one thing to another: the loving kindness of Steven, his gentle and encouraging smile, his thoughtfulness, the friendliness of Helen and the comfort she had given. Not that it had helped because she still loved Steven and she could not say it or show it. She wept again, not noisily but silently and forlornly. Then she became angry from frustration. For the first time since being a child she loved someone and could not show the full extent of her feelings. She thumped her pillow in fury. Finally, exhausted she fell into a deep and dreamless sleep.

Steven stayed up. It was not late and he did not feel tired. He was relieved that Helen thought he had sufficient evidence for the police to go ahead and he was grateful for her support. She could become a friend too. He was intrigued though about what had gone on between her and Becca. If Helen had upset her she would never be a friend but she had assured him that it was nothing she had said or done. What could have upset Becca? She had been so cheerful and happy before. He gave a mental shrug. It would all come out, from Helen or Becca for that matter. He was looking forward to seeing Nick the next day and giving him the three statements.

Becca's deep and undisturbed sleep had clearly done her good. Steven was delighted to find her cheerful and energetic the next morning. She said she intended to go shopping for food and asked for fifteen pounds.

"I don't think I'll spend anywhere near all of it," she said, "but I'd hate to be embarrassed by running short."

Steven gave it to her without argument and she silently appreciated the trust he was placing in her. She kept a careful note of all she spent and showed it to him at lunchtime when she gave him the change.

Helen had rung him shortly after Becca went out and told him what had happened the previous evening.

"Oh dear," he responded. "I sensed there was something going on when she became more clingy. I hoped that Tom might divert her. What do I do, Helen?"

"Nothing other than go on being gentle and supportive. Avuncular hugs and kisses are perfectly all right. Just don't respond if she gets a bit amorous. I think I convinced her that nothing will ever come of it other than that avuncular affection turning into paternal love."

"Oh Lord, give me strength," he said.

"I know, Steven, we're all human and she is a very, very attractive girl but I'm sure you have the willpower and strength of mind to resist temptation."

"I'll need both," he replied grimly, "but I won't let her down. If I did it would destroy her."

"You're a good man, Steven. If I can ever be of help just let me know. You might like to discuss things with Isobel if you feel you can trust her with the truth about Becca. She's very level headed and compassionate."

"Mm, I'll think about it. Thanks for everything, Helen. I must go and spill the beans to Nick now."

"Good luck!"

"Thanks, Helen. Goodbye."

He made an appointment to see Nick at eleven-thirty. He told him what he had done, that he had brought Helen Anstruther on side and gave Nick the three statements stressing that the one by Rosie O'Donovan was not for anything other than his personal knowledge. Nick noted the names in it and handed it back to him.

"You keep it," he said. "I've never seen it."

Steven thanked him.

"On the other hand, if these two girls aren't willing to talk do you think that your niece would help us?"

"I can't believe it will be necessary. They were only too willing to talk to my operative.

"OK, Steven, I'll keep you posted."

"Thanks, Nick."

Nick went into action that very day. He discussed the case with Helen. He did not want to go crashing into the home, frighten the children, remove all the staff for questioning and leave the children without people to look after them. Helen said she would make unobtrusive preparations for the care of the children and let him know when he could move in. They both agreed to think about it for forty-eight hours and then meet to come up with a plan which would cause the least upset for the children.

As far as Nick was concerned, he could arrest those who had been named in the two statements he had been given. Rosie had not named anyone different. On the other hand he could hardly arrest the rest of the staff on the possibility of collusion and yet he had to keep them apart so that they could not hatch up a story. He could confine resident staff to their rooms but the daily staff were a different matter. He could keep them at the home during the working day but would then have to let them go home. He needed evidence fast. How was he going to get it? He would need a big team of interviewers to get through all the children in one day. The chances were that the children would not trust any of them and just clam up. He wracked his brains. The other two witnesses, would they be prepared to help get the children on side? Rosie! She might be prepared to help.

He rang Steven and explained his problem.

"I'll ask her and get back to you," was all Steven would say.

"No," said Becca firmly. "Nothing would make me set foot in that place again. On the other hand I'd be happy to talk to Molly and Jane and try and persuade them to do it. The other thing is the kids wouldn't recognise me now with my red hair gone and my new clothes."

"OK. No one's going to force you to do anything. Relax, Becca dear."

Steven rang Nick back and told him Becca's reaction.

"Fair enough," replied Nick. "Do you think you could get your operative to get the girls to come into the police station with her? At least they know her."

"We'll give it a try. When do you want to see them?"

"As soon as possible but I leave the timings up to you. Bring your niece with you at the same time."

"Wilco," said Steven and rang off.

It took two days to get Molly and Jane free at the same time. Steven's agent had to impress upon the girls' manageress at the restaurant where they both worked that neither was in trouble with the police but merely needed to help them in their enquiries. The agent brought them to Steven's house. Both girls failed to recognise Becca at first. Then there was a tearful reunion. Steven left them to it for half an hour. Then they all climbed into Steven's car and headed off for the police station.

"I hope you don't mind," said Becca to Steven, "but I gave us all a glass of ginger beer."

Steven patted her knee. "Don't be silly," he said. It's there for you to help yourself to."

They were met by a WPC in plain clothes, who was very warm and welcoming. She led them up to Nick Crossley's office. He was in uniform and the three girls were a little abashed but he was all smiles and gentleness and they soon relaxed.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.