A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 11

When Becca got home she told Steven what had gone on while they were having lunch. She included her conversation with Isobel and the latter's reaction.

"Good for you," said Steven approvingly. He did not say how proud and impressed he was.

"That was one of your people that separated them, wasn't it?"

"Yes. I hope you don't mind that there was someone watching out for you."

"No. It was just as well even though it does mean that I'm not going to get much privacy."

"No, it doesn't mean that. For example, if you told me that the two of you were going to the cinema, he would not follow you into the actual cinema unless someone who might harm you went in too." He grinned at her. "So, if you and Tom started to canoodle, I'd be none the wiser."

She wrinkled her nose at him and then giggled. "I can't see that happening in a hurry," she said.

He smiled back at her.

Steven himself had had a frustrating morning. He was still unable to get one of his people into the home. He had decided that, in order to have sufficient contact with the children, he needed to get a teacher in there. The trouble was there were no vacancies. He had wondered briefly if he could work a careers adviser but realised that these kids were never going to have careers as such. Some might advance through apprenticeships but the rest were going to be stuck in menial jobs for the rest of their lives unless they joined the armed forces. Very few of the girls would do that either. He was stuck.

He wondered if there was some way he could get Social Services on his side. He recalled doing an investigation on their behalf into benefit fraud. He had been personally thanked by the deputy head, a Mrs Anstruther. Would she listen to him and help him find a way in to confirm allegations of abuse? He was pretty sure that she would not betray his confidence even if she dismissed the allegations out of hand. Nevertheless, she had given him the impression in the short time that they had met that she was dedicated to helping people who needed it. He decided to try her.

Inevitably, when he rang she was at a meeting but her secretary promised she would ring back later that afternoon. She did so but it was not until gone six o'clock. She was apologetic for not ringing earlier but the meeting had dragged on.

"Please don't apologise, Mrs Anstruther," replied Steven. "I'm very grateful that you could afford the time to ring at all."

"Not at all. What can I do for you?"

"It's a delicate matter. Is there any chance that anyone might be listening in on this call?"

"Goodness! You are being careful. I doubt it but can you give me an idea of what it's about?"

"Child abuse."

"I see. I imagine you're not to keen to be seen here and set tongues wagging."

"Exactly."

"Where's your office?"

"Here at home."

"Which is where?

"Parkside."

"That's on my way home. If you give me your address I'll be with you in twenty minutes."

"I don't want to delay you going home."

"Don't worry. My husband's out this evening."

"Can we give you supper?"

"That would be wonderful if it's not too much bother."

"None at all."

He gave her the address and went off to warn Becca to expect an extra mouth. She was totally unworried.

"I've done plenty," she said cheerfully.

Steven told her what it was about. "I may need to come clean with her about you. Are you OK with that?"

"If you are," she replied but a tremor of fear went through her. Steven noticed it.

"I promise I won't place you at risk."

She smiled gratefully at him.

Mrs Anstruther arrived punctually and Steven met her at the front door. He led her to the sitting room. "My office is a mess," he said.

He settled her down and then told her what he knew leaving out any names and not showing her any of the notes.

"These are very serious allegations," said Mrs Anstruther. "Can you support them?"

"I have a statement from one victim who told me about the others. She has left the home which is how I was able to obtain it. As a result, I've got two more from girls who've also left the home."

"So what's the problem?"

"I want to get statements from the kids still in the home, some of the boys."

"I don't believe that will be necessary. Those three statements would be enough to get the police started. In fact I'll make damned sure they get started."

"Actually, I've already warned off Chief Superintendent Nick Crossley."

"Well then."

Steven looked down and then up again. "There is just one other thing. One of the three girls is an absconder but she's sixteen now so doesn't have to go back to the home. On the other hand, she's still a missing person. I've squared Nick but if I let you talk to her you must swear to me that you will not give her away."

"Is she safe?"

"Yes."

"Is she happy?"

"For the first time in her life, yes."

"In that case I give you my word."

"Thank you, Mrs Anstruther." He handed her the three statements and she read them in silence.

"Animals!" she spat. "Filthy animals preying on defenceless children. Let's go for them."

"I'll contact Nick tomorrow. Now, I think we both need a drink. If you like to come to the kitchen with me you can meet my niece who's cooking supper for us. She's the missing person. I've warned her that I might reveal her identity to you so you can play it whichever way you want."

Mrs Anstruther studied him shrewdly. "I was impressed when you acted for us," she said. "Now I'm even more impressed. You're not just a private eye for the money. You genuinely want to see justice done."

Steven shrugged his shoulders deprecatingly. "I suppose so."

He led her into the kitchen where a stunningly beautiful girl turned from where she was peeling potatoes and smiled warmly at Steven and then questioningly at Mrs Anstruther.

"Mrs Anstruther I'd like you to meet my niece, Becca. Becca, my dear, this is Mrs Anstruther who is Deputy Head of the city's Social Services Department."

Becca smiled politely. "Pleased to meet you," she said. "I'm sorry I can't shake hands or anything at the moment because I'd cover you in spud."

Mrs Anstruther chuckled. "I quite understand."

"What can I get you to drink?" asked Steven. "How does a gin and tonic sound?"

"Magical."

"I shall wave my wand. Ginger beer, Becca?"

"Please, Uncle Steven."

While Steven organised the drinks Mrs Anstruther asked Becca whether she could help.

"No thanks," said Becca cheerfully. "I'm on the last of the spuds. I've done the beans so it's down to sitting and waiting now."

"What's cooking? It smells delicious."

"Leftovers. Last Sunday's joint plus some bacon, carrots and onions."

"Where did you learn to cook?"

Becca grinned crookedly. "From Mrs Beeton." She pointed to the book on the shelf.

Mrs Anstruther laughed. "I look forward to it," she said. "Thank you," as Steven handed her her drink.

"Mrs Beeton may have taught her the basics but she has shown a rare aptitude for originality," he said.

"Heavy with the pepper," giggled Becca.

"No. You found the herb bed and you've used them."

Becca looked down in embarrassment at being praised in front of somebody else.

"I won't ask you now," said Mrs Anstruther, "but I'll see if I can guess later."

"What is your husband up to this evening if I may ask," enquired Steven.

"Playing trains." She chuckled at their bemused expressions. "He's very keen on model railways and has been a member of the local club ever since I've known him. They're going to a show at York in six weeks' time and are madly working on a most ambitious model for it."

"Is it a model of a real line?"

"Yes. Wretched man! He won't tell me where. He says that with my knowledge of Yorkshire I ought to be able to recognise it when I see it."

Steven chuckled. "Is it big?"

"So I gather. They've had to negotiate extra space at the show. It's an all round exhibit and he says the stations are on one side. He's going to make me try and recognise where it is without being able to read the station names."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.