A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 6

Steven came down to breakfast the next morning to find Becca la-la-ing the quickstep from the previous evening and dancing round the kitchen table. She continued up to him with a big smile on her face and kissed him.

"Good morning, Uncle Steven," she said. "I think I've got the turns."

"Good morning, Becca. It looks as though you have. Very impressive. You'll have to teach me."

Becca smiled delightedly. "Phooey!" she said. "You pulled me round last night but I can do them without being led now. Anyway, would you like scrambled eggs for a change?"

"Why not?"

"Coming up, sir."

She was bubbling with happiness and Steven was thrilled but kept quiet. "I'm going out this morning for a while. Is there anything you need from the shops?"

"Yes: food and furniture polish, oh, and some more washing powder."

"Well make a list before the hairdresser comes and I'll get it all for you."

"OK."

"Later on today we must do the list of other people who were abused."

Becca sobered up momentarily. "Yeah, OK," and then she added with a grin, "Who's going to check I haven't made it all up to get my own back?"

"Cheeky girl," he smiled back. "You never would but, since you ask, I plan to get one of my people onto the staff at the home who will befriend some of those children and get them to give statements. That'll be enough to get the police started."

"Man or woman?"

"Woman."

"Yeah, good. She'd be more likely to get them to talk than a man."

"Great minds think alike."

She stared at him for a moment and then giggled. "I don't know about mine being great. Common sense I'd have called it. Here you are: scrambled eggs cooked to a T with all the bits."

"Thanks, Becca."

They ate their breakfast in silence after which Steven went off to his study where she could hear him on the telephone. She washed up, made a menu for the week and then compiled a shopping list. She was about to include sanitary towels but suddenly thought that that might embarrass him. She wondered if she could ask the hairdresser to get them for her. Perhaps that might spring her alibi.

When Steven emerged she gave him the list and then blushed and looked at the floor.

"What's the matter, Becca?" he asked gently.

"Um," she said shyly without looking up. "When I told you my period was due next week I meant it and I, um, need some, er, sanitary towels. Would it be all right if I asked the hairdresser to get them for me?"

Steven put a finger under her chin and raised it so that she had to look at him. "You are a very considerate and sweet girl," he said. "You thought I might be embarrassed getting them for you, didn't you?"

"Yes," she whispered.

He kissed her nose. "Thank you," he said, "but I'll be all right. Any particular sort?"

She shook her head. "I don't know. They just doled them out when you asked for them. I, um," and looked embarrassed again, "don't bleed very heavily."

"Fine. I'll ask the woman in the chemist."

She looked at him open mouthed.

"It's all right. They know me and they know that your mother died recently so there's no problem in saying they're for my niece who's come to stay with me."

"Do they know about Pete too?"

"No!"

"Phew! Good! I wouldn't have wanted to talk about that once I start going out again."

"Relax, love. You won't have to."

There was silence for moment.

"Uncle Steven?"

"Yes?"

"What if the hairdresser starts talking about my hair to people?"

Steven grinned. "She won't. She's one of my people. She's a very nice person too. If you get on with her, which I'm sure you will, she may be someone you can confide in about things that you might not want to talk about with me."

Becca looked at him blankly.

"Woman to woman things."

"Oh!" Becca giggled. "Like sanitary towels."

"Yes, you cheeky monkey."

Becca giggled again.

The hairdresser arrived promptly at ten. She was a pleasant looking woman in her thirties with, as Becca soon discovered, a kind smile and a ready laugh.

"Hello, Miriam my dear," Steven greeted her. "Come in and meet your patient, my niece, Becca. Becca this is Miriam Cartwright."

They both smiled at each other. "I heard about your mother, Becca. I'm so sorry."

Steven marvelled at Becca's reaction. She smiled deprecatingly. "Thank you," she said softly. It was all so natural and politely understated.

"Well. I'll leave you two to it," went on Steven. "The young lady has some errands for me to run."

"Uncle Steven! You were going out anyway and offered!"

Steven waved airily and let himself out.

Miriam laughed delightedly. "If you could see your face..." she said.

"And he called me a cheeky monkey not half an hour ago," expostulated Becca. "Grrr!"

Miriam laughed again. "We'd better get started," she said. "This is going to take a while."

They settled on auburn for Becca's new colour and agreed on almost shoulder length but curled outwards. Soon they were chattering away like old friends. Without making it obvious, Miriam tested Becca on her cover story and was impressed. She also gained her confidence to the extent that Becca asked her if she knew somewhere where she could learn ballroom dancing.

"Yes," replied Miriam. "The Alhambra Ballroom. They have, or certainly used to have, a class at six o'clock on a Thursday evening. Then on Friday evenings they have competitions."

"Ooh, I must ask Uncle Steven if I can go. Is it expensive?"

"I don't know how much it costs but I'm sure it would be in the local paper. Hey! Hold still."

Becca had nodded excitedly. "Oops! Sorry!"

When Miriam finished Becca looked carefully at herself in the mirror. "It certainly makes me look different," she said thoughtfully. "I like it though. It makes me look posher. Thanks ever so much, Miriam."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.