Day of Destruction - Cover

Day of Destruction

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Chapter 14

JIM

"How did you come to be on the radio? Over."

"I was a ham ... before. I quit using my call sign as that didn't make sense any more. Over."

"Ed, I would love for you to come down. We need to talk about whether or not you join our family in some manner but my initial impression is positive. Can you set up a vehicle for mobile use? Over."

"Yes, I will. Put together a list of the radios you have and the antennas, if they don't have names, do a description for me. I will tell you what will work best for what."

"Okay, do you have a cellphone and internet?"

"Yes, my number is 617-555-1212 and my email is eraines@gmail.com." [Ed note: these are made up. If there is one, it's an accident.]

"Okay, I will call you in an hour and send you an email list with pictures of antennas if I can't identify them."

"Good, do you have plenty of the thick black cable?"

"Not much, is it standard or do I need to get some?"

"It is not, repeat not, standard. If you can get some, fine. Otherwise, I will pick up some on the way down."

"Okay, Ed. Good talking to you. Bye."

"Bye, Jim."

I put the microphone down and Wendy grabbed me and said, "We need to talk."

"Yes, I guess we do. Beautiful Wendy, my love, will you be my wife?"

"Oh, Jim, I love you so much! Yes! Yes! Yes!" She started kissing me excitedly and I responded quickly and happily. Then, she stopped. She said, "We are obligated to call in an hour with information that we must gather. When we finish that and make the call, we have much to discuss."

"Yes, Dear." I intoned with a droll look.

"You will pay for that comment." She said and laughed gayly.

We made the list with a lot more touching than was strictly necessary and then the call. While I was talking to Ed, Wendy started supper. When I got off the call with my list annotated by Ed's information, I went in to the kitchen to find Wendy cooking. Two champagne glasses were set out along with a chilled bottle of champagne. "Your job is to open the bottle and pour each of us a glass."

I started to open the bottle using the opener laid out. "Where did you get champagne and a chilled bottle at that?"

"There is one at the farm, also, waiting for this event. I have had two bottles chilling for a while since I didn't know where, if, or when you would ask."

I realized again that this woman was smart and clever. She also hadn't pushed me. I appreciated that. "Tomorrow, we will go shopping for rings."

"Okay, but not at the mall. Even though I met you there, that's the only good memory from that place."

"Suits me. To my beautiful, smart wife, Wendy, who I love so very much."

"To my handsome, hard working husband, Jim, who I love so very much. You make me happy, Love." We drank our toasts to each other and my phone rang. It was my daughter, Doris. "Hi, Daddy," she said, "Have you toasted yet?"

"Yes, we just did."

"Have you kissed your bride yet?"

"No."

"Then do it. I'll wait."

I looked at Wendy who had a practiced, innocent look on her face. "You told them?" I questioned.

"Yes, of course. Now, kiss me. Isn't that what you were just told to do?"

I kissed her thoroughly and told her I loved her again. Wendy refilled our glasses and led me to the table where I sat. I picked up the phone. "When did you know?"

"Know what? When did I know you were going to or that you had finally asked?"

"Never mind," I laughed.

"Joan wants to talk. Hold on."

"It's about time, Dad. Congratulations." Joan said. "We wondered if we would have to push you somehow, but Wendy said to wait until the time was right, so we did. Let me talk to Wendy."

"Okay, and thanks. Wendy, Joan wants to talk to you."

"Hi, Joannie. He finally did it. We're going to shop for rings tomorrow. Is Anna there? Good. Let me talk to her. Anna, he asked. It just took a little time for him to get around to it. Thank you and thank you for all your advice. Anna wants to talk to you."

"Anna," I said, "How long have I been subject to a conspiracy?"

"For a while," she replied. "Wendy set her sights on you but realized that you would think you were too old for her. She told me how she nudged you a bit and then waited. She's a smart person."

"Yes and a lovely one, also. It's good to talk to all of you but supper's ready and I want to eat with my wife. Bye." I realized that I was as happy and excited as I had been in a long, long time.

There was a newness and electricity about my emotions. We drank again and Wendy poured another for us while we ate. It was another of her great meals.

When we were finished eating, I got up to do the dishes as had become my habit. "Leave them tonight, my husband. Bring the bottle and the glasses." She got up and went to the porch. She sat down in the deep twilight and I poured another glass for each of us draining the bottle. "This is the place. When we were first together here alone, it was here that I realized how very much I loved you and that I truly wanted to be your wife." She leaned over and kissed me.

"There is something special about this porch for us. It is here that I first thought about returning here with you again and again. I didn't know I loved you then. You were just a beautiful, smart, young woman and I thoroughly enjoyed your presence with me. I didn't hope for more than that."

We sat in our chairs holding hands and sipping the last of the champagne as the darkness slowly flowed over the sky and us with a warm, happy silence. The glasses were empty when we at last got up and went inside. I looked at Wendy and said, "Should we break these glasses?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.