Day of Destruction - Cover

Day of Destruction

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Chapter 13

JIM

I could hear the coffee as it completed perking. I also had to piss. I gently moved away and got out of bed. I smiled down at her and went into the bathroom. While in there, I cleaned up. When I came out, I put on clothes and went downstairs. I noticed she had left, also. When I got downstairs, she was heating frozen pancakes for us and was dressed.

"Do you want butter, syrup, or both?"

"Both if the butter's still good."

"It is for now." We ate together in a companionable silence. When we finished, I took the dishes and washed them, dried them and put them away. I then said, "I need to get my coffee mug."

She giggled and said, "That one?" pointing at my mug. I grinned and went to it and filled it with coffee. The house had a nice sitting area on the back porch. I took her hand and guided her out to it. We sat side by side in the two chairs and sipped coffee. We sat at ease for ten or so minutes and drank coffee. Then she took my hand and we went inside the kitchen. I filled my mug and she cleaned up the coffee pot for our next trip. Our next trip! Did I think that? I realized I had. I also realized that I was not looking forward to returning to the farm as much as usual.

With everything cleaned up and returned to their places, we went out to the SUV, got in and left. She looked at my list and directed me to our next stop.

We were at the last stop of the day. As I picked up the things and loaded them into the SUV, I suddenly heard some shouting. "Hello! Hello!" I looked over at Wendy who had the rifle in her hands. I whispered, "Stay put and watch." I had gotten in the habit of carrying a pistol so I went toward the voice.

"Hello! Who are you?" I shouted.

A man, a woman and three small children appeared from around the corner of the building. "We are the Andersons. I had begun to think there was no one left but us. Who are you? Where are you from? We are so glad to see someone."

"I am Jim Woods and this is Wendy. We are part of an extended family that lives on a farm not far out of town. What's your story?"

"I'm Jim Anderson. This is my wife, Becky, and our kids, Jim, Marie, and Patty. We have lived in Chapel Hill but know we must move. Soon, the food will run out. We haven't seen anyone in a long time."

"What did you do before the day?"

"I was a shop teacher at the local high school. Becky taught home economics but had been out for leave to raise our kids. We had planned for her to go back to teaching in another couple of years. Now, it's all different. We heard some shooting a week or so ago at the mall. However, by the time we got there, there were three guys dead next a SUV with jewelry in the back. We went back home scared because there were some bad people out there."

"Yes, they were bad guys. Six young people shot them. We met right after that. They had been suspicious of the three and for good reason. They found two young girls captive in the SUV. We released them and helped them. All six of the young folk were going to try to find their parents. Only two of them, headed to Oklahoma, are still in touch. The other four suddenly ceased to communicate. We don't know what happened to them and can't risk the man power to find out."

"I understand."

"We have a farm out of town. We're working on becoming farmers for the future. Your family would be welcome to join us if you want."

"Yes," Becky answered, "we would be glad to. Are there other homes where we could settle and then work together?"

"Yes and yes. Where is your vehicle?" Wendy had joined me and heard the last parts of the conversation.

"It's around the corner. We had parked there and, when we heard the noise from your loading, we took a chance you would be nice people. Living totally alone has not been good."

"Jim, get your car and let's go. We just need to load this last bit and we are ready."

"Okay, we'll be back in a flash."

Jim and Becky were back quickly in an older car. Obviously, they hadn't taken the opportunity to "shop" for a new car. It looked quite serviceable and, as a SUV, was practical. We left from our "shopping" and headed back to the farm. I had Wendy call ahead to let everyone know what was happening.

We pulled up at the main house and everyone was there to meet the new people. Introductions were made all around. During all this, Wendy only left my side for a moment. When she returned, she grinned at me but said nothing. She had been talking with Anna.

Anna took the Andersons to a house nearby and offered them it to live in with her. She said she would act as grandmother to their kids. They were tentative but moved in. We all went our separate ways and then met for supper in the big house. I checked on Wendy. She had taken a room in the big house right next to mine. Doris and Joan had moved to another nearby house with their kids. What was going on behind my back?

We had a merry supper with lots of good conversation as we got to know Jim and Becky and they got to know us. After supper, we called Paul and Susan to give them our update and get theirs. They were doing well and, once across the Mississippi, were now making decent time. They regretted going across at Memphis as there were people in the city and some shooting. They had trouble getting across because some of the bridges were blocked. Finally, they went south out of the city to find a bridge in a more deserted area. They said they were going to hide their car and sleep in it tonight with the doors locked. They also said they had seen a pack of dogs that seemed to be hunting. They warned us that that could be a problem in the future.

That night, Doris and Joan came up to me together and, blushing, said that they were happy for me and Wendy. Anna came up later and said the same thing. Wendy spent that time looking like the cat who ate the canary. I had a feeling that I was the canary though it wasn't an unpleasant feeling to be Wendy's target. We all left to our respective beds. I had only been in bed a few minutes when Wendy came in and got under the sheets with me. We kissed and she snuggled in the crook of my arm. She was wearing her tee-shirt though her braless breasts were boring a happy hole in my side. Her hand traced a lazy path over my chest. She said, "Are you satisfied with the events of the last two days?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.