Day of Destruction
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Looking out, we saw three men standing around a large SUV with rifles pointed up. They looked like they were looking for something. I heard one say, "Fire off another round, Jake. I keep hoping there is somebody around left alive."

I was ready to stand up when I saw "Jake" fire into the air and, across the parking lot, a person stood up and waved. The three immediately crouched down and aimed at the figure across the way. It was a younger woman. I would guess mid-twenties to early thirties though tough to tell in the distance. The leader spoke again and hollered out, "Come on up."

I could tell she was a bit scared but she came up to about twenty feet away from the men and the SUV. Again, the leader said, "Come on over. We won't hurt you."

The one named, Jake, chuckled from my side of the SUV and mumbled, "Much."

She shook her head. She said, "Who are you? Are there any women with you?" I noticed that their clothing didn't fit quite right. There was something about all this that concerned me. I brought my rifle to bear on "Jake."

The leader said, "We are three brothers. We survived the sickness and left Charlotte looking for more people who survived. We want to join up with some others." I saw Jake smile at that. I wondered why they left Charlotte, a much bigger place, for here if they were looking for company. There was something very wrong but I didn't know what.

The young woman said, "Who's in the car? Why don't they come out?"

The leader seemed to be losing patience. He said, "If you want to know, come look."

His partner on his side of the SUV lowered his rifle pointing it at the woman. "Come here, Girlie. You don't want to be shot."

Doris and I had been absolutely still. I could hear very faint sounds of movement across to my left further toward the parking lot but out of sight. The young woman said, "Ooh!" and seemed to faint. She collapsed to the ground silently lying on her back almost flat except for her breasts. At that, the three all moved toward her.

"Grab her and get her in the car with the others!" said the leader. "Before they reached her, shots rang out. All three dropped. Jake was hit and didn't move. I saw lots of blood seep from his body and figured he was dead. Both the other two were groaning in pain. The leader tried to raise up shouting, "Bitch!" More shots rang out and he dropped limply. Looking around, I saw six men and women rise up and approach the SUV. The one of the three was still lying on the asphalt groaning. The young woman approached him and took his rifle. One of the other women in the group approached the SUV and opened the door.

"Shit!" She exclaimed. She put her rifle against the side of the SUV and reached inside. She pulled out two naked young women who were handcuffed together. They looked like they had been raped and beaten, their young bodies bruised and bloody. The woman pulling them out shouted, "They are handcuffed! Find the keys! Get them something to wear, too!" Quickly, the back was opened by one person as another started checking Jake's body for keys.

The young woman who had been there from the first stood over the wounded man and snarled, "Where are the keys?"

He groaned and said, "Help me. They forced me to go along with them. Roy has the keys." He pointed a shaky finger at the leader. She moved over to his body and found a key ring. She tossed them over to the young woman trying to help the two young captives. A couple of coats were found in the back and their fronts were now covered. The cuffs were opened and the two put the coats on right and zipped them enough to be decent, barely. They then walked over to the wounded man and started kicking him. He continued to moan for help.

One of the young girls shouted at him, "You Bastard! You shot my father and brother in cold blood. You raped me as they watched dying! You laughed as you did it. Who's laughing now! Bastard! Who's laughing now?! I'll kill you!" The others gently but firmly moved the two girls who were sobbing away from the man who lay on the ground groaning in pain.

I looked at Doris questioningly. She nodded and we rose up together. "Hello," I shouted.

Except for the two holding the young girls, they all turned pointing their guns at us. I kept my gun carefully pointed at the ground and in the crook of my left arm. I raised my right hand and said, "We are peaceful. May we come up?"

The young woman said, "Come forward. Are there others with you?"

"No, the others are back at my home a ways off." Doris and I walked forward. Addressing the young woman, I said, "My name is James Woods and this is my daughter, Doris. We woke up to the shots and were coming to investigate. I hate to admit it but you planned better than I would have."

"We were watching the mall and saw them come out with bags that they emptied into the back of the SUV. The bags rattled like jewelry rather than useful things. It made us suspicious. We let them shoot off a few rounds before checking them out. They weren't nice men. My name is Susan Ward. Paul and I lead this group. We come from the University area."

"That was quite a risk you took with them."

"We were pretty sure they wouldn't kill a woman out of hand. They would have other plans if they were bad. If they were good guys, then I was okay."

"Makes sense. Can Doris or I help?"

"Doris, why don't you try to find some clothes for those two that will fit decently. Mr. Woods, Paul and I are going to question the survivor. Why don't you listen?"

Doris and I nodded. "Please call me James or Jim. Mr. Woods sounds much too formal in this situation."

She nodded and we walked over to the wounded man. A man about Susan's age was standing over him. He and I shook hands. He bent toward our wounded man and said, "Let's hear it. What have you been doing and where did you come from?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.