Day of Destruction
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

We decided to accept Angela if she wanted to come and to join us. We also decided that no one could join us unless they wanted to be a part of our family group, that we all had to agree to their joining us, and that they had to be disease free. I told Melody to offer Angela the opportunity if she would start out not knowing exactly where she was going, would bring as much in the way of supplies as she could and would not tell anyone. Melody went to call Angela. She came back minutes later saying that Angela agreed. I told Melody to have Angela pack and then get on the road to our place and that she and I would meet her leaving her vehicle at our meeting place. Melody started texting right then with what to bring and a starting route and a point to call. There was a rest area about twenty miles toward our old home from the cabin which we would use for a meeting point. I figured an hour or so before she would call for further instructions.

One hour and twenty minutes later, she called. I had Melody ask if she were being followed and she said that she was not. Melody said that, if she was, to call immediately but continue on her route. She then told Angela where we would meet her. Melody and I left in my car with my scope rifle between us. We arrived early and I hid the car where it wasn't obvious to approaching traffic, not that there was any, and picked a vantage point to watch. I told Melody that, if I hollered "Duck," she was to drop down and look around later. A car came up the road and slowed. It turned into the rest area. Through the scope, I could see Angela. I didn't see anyone else in the car but I waited. Melody waved. She was about fifty feet off the road and out my line of fire.

Angela stopped and got out of the car and ran to Melody. They hugged. I waited a few moments before slowly rising up. Melody gave me our prearranged okay signal and I slowly walked toward the two of them. Melody told Angela something and she went toward her car while Melody waited for me. Angela pulled a suitcase and a back pack from the car, locked it, and walked toward us. When she reached us, I told Melody to help Angela and we walked to my car, loaded it, and got in. We rode back to the cabin.

When we arrived, Doris and Charlie were waiting outside. Angela hugged my wife and even Charlie. We had decided that she would bunk with Melody and they went upstairs to leave her belongings. While they were upstairs, Doris told me that martial law had been declared through the entire nation. The reporter also said that there were reports that the new President was dying as had and were a number of other national government leaders. The country was losing people so fast that the government was simply vanishing. There were no further reports of looting or violence. My guess was that we were rapidly getting down to the survivors and there just were not enough for violence yet. Never, I hoped. Angela came downstairs and thanked Doris and I again for allowing her to join us. She said there was no one in our subdivision left to her knowledge. I did the math in my head. Our subdivision had just over one hundred houses with an average of four to a house. Five out of four or five hundred was not a good survival rate but it matched the early estimate from the television reports for whatever that was worth.

I talked with everyone over supper. I thought it was time we started to cautiously explore the area to see who was left and be sure animals were not starved or injured. We would need them in the future. Doris agreed but wanted me to think out a procedure for safety. That made sense and the discussion moved in that direction. In addition to myself, Doris and Charlie were the only shooters. I told both Melody and Angela that they would be learning and soon. Angela volunteered to go with me and be the one to try contact with me covering her. I suggested that we use my car. It was quiet and a convertible. We could hear noises more easily from it. Doris was concerned but I told her that I planned to drive up to houses and honk the horn. I had two horns, the regular one and an ahoogah horn which was really loud. We weren't trying to sneak up on anyone but to make friends with survivors and save animals. Angela would wear loud colors to be seen while I would wear typical fare for me. She understood the risks and said that she was agreeable. She said, "I'm not expendable but am the latest addition to this family. If something bad happens, I would prefer to be the one. I'm sure Mr. Robbins will do his best to protect me based upon what we plan.

We all went to bed. The next morning, I got up first and made coffee and was joined by Doris. She asked me if I really thought what we planned last night was safe. I told her that I thought it would be. The real issue is not survivors but those dead with livestock. Those cows, horses, pigs, and goats would need to be released into pasture or they would die. I told her that we can raid grocery stores for a while but eventually the food there would spoil and we would need another solution and that was farming.

She was not happy with the situation since it would separate us but understood. I had some old CB radios which I would set up and we had our cell phones. I told her that we would keep in touch. The kids got up and Angela dressed. She was wearing bright colors and clothes that were comfortable and not tight. When we left, Charlie led with the tractor again to move our log and replace it to block the road. We went by him and waved.

We were going to start with the Stovers who were our closest neighbors. We could just see their house from ours. We pulled into their drive and I hit the ahoogah horn to attract attention. I turned the motor off and we heard nothing but silence. I pushed the horn button again. I shrugged. I looked at Angela, "Their names are Jack and Marge Stover. They are an older couple. Their children live far away. Knock and holler out as you go in. Are you afraid of bodies?"

"Mr. Robbins, I had to look at my parents' bodies. I can stand looking at anyone else's now."

"Okay, let's get started. When you come out, give me one of three signals. If they are there but dead, shake your head and give a thumbs up. If no one is there or if they are they are there and healthy, come out and wave your arms in the safe sign. Anything else and I will plan on trouble."

She nodded and left the car. As she approached the house, I could hear her call out for the Stovers and heard no reply. I could now hear their dog bark weakly as she knocked. She opened the door and their dog almost knocked her down escaping from the house. She went and came out a moment later shaking her head and giving a thumbs up. I got out of the car and came to her. She said, "They are in the living room just sitting in their easy chairs like they were waiting."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.