A Potter's Tale
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

It seemed that it took all day Tuesday just to fill out all the paperwork required to sign on as unemployed. One look at the vacancies boards told me that I was going to have to take a few steps back and a significant pay cut to even hope for another job. The staff kindly told me that I was entitled to no benefit for quite a number of weeks because of my redundancy pay and because I'd had the foresight to save money for this rainy day. I would still be required to attend the job centre and look for work. The latter I would be doing as a matter of course.

Wednesday afternoon I took a stroll down to the local newsagents to pick up a copy of the Evening Sentinel. Wednesday was the day the local rag carried the new job vacancies for the area. As I was paying for it I saw the Lottery machine and decided to have a go at the midweek lottery. I always spent a pound on a Saturday but had never done the midweek one, mainly because the jackpot was lower but also I only tended to call at the papershop on a Saturday morning. I selected my usual Saturday numbers and returned home to see what, if any, suitable jobs were being advertised.

As with all young teenagers, Kate lived in her own little world and she had yet to realise the possible ramifications of my redundancy. I was her Dad and in her eyes dads always sorted things, so for her things continued as normal. I did however get a few extra cuddles from my usually less than tactile daughter.

Thursday morning I found that some habits die hard as I was still up before six o'clock. I didn't have a morning paper delivered as I was always out before the paper-boy arrived so I decided to have a walk to the shop and pick one up before Kate arose. Whilst there I spotted some freshly made oatcakes ( http://www.staffordshireoatcakes.com/ ) so I got those, some black pudding and other bits for a good fry-up. I was sure my daughter would appreciate the rare treat. Whilst I was paying the sight of the lottery machine reminded me to check my numbers. A quick check in my pocket ensured that I needed to do this at home as I didn't have the ticket with me.

Both Kate and I agreed that the fry-up was an excellent idea, with my daughter sarcastically saying that it was about time I had one. After doing the dishes and a few other neglected chores I sat down with a nice brew and checked my ticket. As soon as I saw the numbers on the National Lottery website I knew I had won. I have used and checked the same numbers every week since the lottery began, so I knew them by heart. Of course I checked the ticket a few times to ensure that I hadn't inadvertently picked the wrong ones. I had won the jackpot. A further check showed that three tickets had shared the £4.7 million pounds. That meant that my share was over one and a half million pounds.

About an hour later it had begun to sink in. It was only then that I looked up how to claim. It was easy, all I needed to do was to ring a phone number given on the site. The people on the other end of the phone were obviously used to talking to jackpot winners, nearly all of whom had won a lot more than I had. After the expected questions it was agreed that I needed to go down to their Head Office and we agreed on the following day.

At first I felt like ringing everyone I knew and bragging about my good fortune but managed to restrain myself as I immediately realised that that wasn't a very good idea. In the end I decided to tell no one, not even Kate, until I had the money in my bank. Thoughts of a wild spending spree evaporated pretty quickly too as another realisation hit me. You needed a lot more than a million pounds to live a millionaire lifestyle. All the really good houses I checked out cost more than I'd won and even many that I classed only as okay cost well over half. After a few brief moments of fantasy I knew that I didn't really want that anyway. The money I'd won was more than enough to let me lead the lifestyle I desired.

It was difficult to keep my excitement down when Kate arrived back from school but fortunately she had plenty of homework to do and after a quick hug and kiss disappeared into her bedroom for the duration.

It was fortunate that Friday was one of Kate's football training days as I was late getting back. I was surprised at the help the National Lottery people give to their winners, even ones like me who wanted no publicity. I spoke to numerous experts on how best to handle my sudden wealth and when I finally left I was very pleased with the way things had gone. They had set up different bank accounts based on what I had told them about my plans and hopes.

As I approached my part of the town I glanced at the car's clock and saw that there was still thirty minutes of training left so I made the slight diversion to the school. As soon as I got out of my car Jane Grayson and two other mothers came over to me.

'Glad to see you again David, ' Jane said giving me a big hug, well as big as a five foot and a bit woman can give a man six and a half foot tall.

Looking at her infectious smile I grinned. 'Kate would never forgive me if I didn't come to see her play, at least occasionally.'

'Nor would our Dawn, ' said Hazel Fowler, one of the other women who had walked over to greet me. 'You've done wonders for her.'

'Thanks, but Dawn put in the work, I just made a few suggestions, ' I replied truthfully.

'Rubbish!' said Irene Randall, the third of the mothers, 'you've given all the girls the confidence to use their skills and that confidence can be seen outside the game.'

'True, ' added Hazel, 'our Dawn was so introverted it was affecting her school work but now, although still shy, she's at least starting to come out of her shell.'

'Well I can't say that my 'Chelle has ever been shy, ' laughed Jane, 'but now we see all her energy and bossiness channelled.'

We all laughed, as anyone who met Michelle, the team's dynamic captain and goalkeeper, knew that shyness would never be one of her problems.

I looked at Jane. 'To be truthful Jane, your Michelle has had as much to do with giving the other girls their confidence as me or Helen have.'

'I'll agree to that, but they needed to have someone believe in them before that could happen and that someone was you, ' said Helen as she joined us.

Getting just a little embarrassed I tried to change the subject. 'Anyway, I am taking Kate to KFC after training and everyone else is very welcome to join us, my treat.'

'I'm up for it but it should be us treating you, ' said Helen.

'Count me and 'Chelle in too, ' added Jane.

'I'll give my George a ring and tell him to fix his own supper for a change, ' laughed Irene.

'Tell him to come along, ' I said with a grin, 'I could do with some male support.'

Helen soon left us to finish off the training and tell all the girls about my offer. An hour later ten young teenagers, four mothers, three fathers and one teacher were in KFC, the first group making far too much noise for the comfort of the rest. When everyone had finished eating I stood up and for the first time ever, all the girls went quiet, even Michelle and Kate.

'Thanks for coming tonight to this impromptu gathering. I'd just like to thank you all, but especially Helen and you girls, for making the last eighteen months or so very enjoyable. I have seen and been a small part in, you changing from kids with a little interest in football to an all round excellent team. You will win a lot more matches than you lose.'

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.