A Different Surfin' Safari - Cover

A Different Surfin' Safari

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Chapter 10

We had supper with Paul and Ella. After some discussion, Ella agreed to go to the meeting after Paul pressed her to do so. He thought it would help make a point to some of the others. She said, "Okay, Paul, okay. Just don't expect me to talk."

"Do you have an opinion on this matter?" He asked.

"Yes," she replied, "I do. I think we should go if Sal and Jennifer will have us."

"Then you should say so at the meeting," Paul stated and grinned.

Jennifer said, "Sal, I think you should talk for us tonight."

"I will start," I said, "but you will chime in whenever you think it's appropriate. That's particularly true if Benjamin has anything to say."

We finished eating and all of us left for the meeting. When we arrived, Paul looked around and said, "There may be one or two wives and a few younger children missing but everyone is here." I noticed that Paul was greeted by many of the men and Ella by many of the women. It appeared that Paul and Ella were greatly respected.

Paul explained that the elders had a presiding elder who rotated regularly. The current presiding elder stood and called the group to order. He started, "We are meeting to hear the results of Rob's trip with his sister and her mate. They have returned with interesting news of a possibility. I will also ask Paul for a complete report first on the attack by the Sanburn's today.

Paul stood at the direction of the elder, Jack. He said, "We were under attack earlier today by the Sanburn's. Ella and I had taken refuge in the cottage but were trapped. Suddenly, I heard a popping sound and then Rob came to the house. He, Carol and John had brought three people with them and told us that they had killed a group of Sanburn's who had started a fire to shoot fire arrows at our home. They came in with their friends whose weapons had killed the Sanburn's.

"After some discussion, I went to request this meeting. Paul and Sal went into the woods to search for any other Sanburn's. They heard shots and came back in a hurry. They found six surviving Sanburn's attacking my home. Jennifer, Sal's mate, had already killed two leaving the six survivors. They were quickly dispatched by her and Sal using their weapons.

"Sal shot one last one. We think we got all of them."

Jack stood up again and asked, "Are there any questions of Paul other than about his guests' weapons?" He looked around and saw no one with comments. "Rob, please give your report."

Rob stood up and said, "I was asked to search for a new place for us to live. Carol, John and I search west to the ocean and then went south. We found some possibilities but the best place was taken. We met the persons living there and found them to be nice people who expressed willingness to help us and who would probably allow us to settle in their area.

"Sal, his mate, Jennifer, and Terry came with me and are here tonight. We found their land good with possibilities for farming and ranching. The land is easily defended. There are also many houses which could be used temporarily or permanently. They call their land, Camp Pen.

"I would now ask Sal to speak to us as he feels appropriate."

Jack nodded at me and I stood up beside Rob. I said, "My mate, Jennifer, our friend, Terry, and I have come from Camp Pen to present to you a possibility. We have the authority to invite persons to come live at Camp Pen and authority to offer our weapons to use to protect yourselves from attack.

"We have successfully fought off a few attacks including one at Paul's home by the Sanburn's. Our weapons are more effective and have a greater range than a bow and arrow. In the recent attack at Paul's home, Jennifer was able to kill four of the eight attackers beyond bow range, two of them were before Rob and I could return to assist her.

"We have found a rich area in Camp Pen. It is defensible, has weapons available, and includes large land areas capable of supporting farming and ranching.

"In accordance with our authority, Jennifer has already invited Ella and Paul to come to Camp Pen. Before we start the trip, there will be training for all those invited with our weapons.

"Jennifer, is there anything you wish to add?"

"Yes," she said, "Thank you, my mate. At Camp Pen, we freely elect our leaders without regard to gender. Both men and women participate actively in the governing. If that is a problem for you, deal with it or don't ask to come!"

We all sat down. Jack rose and said, "I would like to open a discussion regarding the possibility of moving to Camp Pen."

Benjamin stood to be recognized. Jack nodded at him. Benjamin said, "By their own admission, these people give women authority that is unnatural and against our customs. We should request they leave and forbid any Moreno to go with them."

Grumbling started immediately. From the undertones, some did and some did not like Benjamin's statement. Jack stood and held up his hand for silence. "It is interesting that Benjamin objects to women participating in government as against custom and, in the same speech, would deny families and individuals the ability to leave as they might desire. That denial is also against our customs and practice. I want to get an initial sense of our people's leaning. Those who favor Benjamin's solution should gather with him and be counted. Those who are interested in the possibility of migrating to Camp Pen should gather with Paul. Please, move quietly and quickly." He gave people an opportunity to make their choices. A minority of about one-fourth of those present gathered around Benjamin. Most of the rest moved toward Paul. There were a few who looked undecided. Jack said, "It would seem that the majority does not favor Benjamin's solution. Therefore, in accordance with our customs and practice, we will move toward a different solution. Benjamin, you and your supporters may stay or leave the discussion as suits you. As is our usual custom, if a majority moves in your direction later, you will be told."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.