Doc
Chapter 25

Copyright© 2010 by Kingkey

Now I had four women surrounding me, all trying to talk all at once. Suddenly, Dawn stopped, and slapped me right across the face. Then she stepped back with a look of horror on her face. The others just stared at her, also in shock. Suddenly she was in my arms, crying and begging me to forgive her. She said that she was so scared of me dying, that something inside her just snapped. She said she hadn't meant to slap me.

I just wrapped her in my arms, trying to ignore the pain of my side. I was whispering in her ear that everything would be okay, while trying to comfort her until she stopped crying. After several minutes she finally started to settle down. Looking up at my other wives, I noticed that all three of them were glaring at me.

Finally, I asked them, with tears in my eyes, "What did I do? All of you seem to be angry at me, but I don't think I've done anything wrong! Are you tired of being my wives? Are you going to leave me?"

The next thing I knew I had all four of them crying and trying to hug me at once.

"No! We were just afraid you were going to die. We were afraid we would be widows before we even became mothers."

Moon then glanced up to my face and noticed me trying not to show the pain I was obviously having.

Turning to the others she said, "Clay! You should say we give you pain!"

On hearing that, all my wives turned me loose. They pulled back a step, so as to keep from hurting me any more. Seeing the looks on their faces, from having hurt me, I quickly pulled them close again. I ignored any slight twinges of pain, so as not to cause them any more distress. I assured them that I was okay; that I was very sore, but should be able to go home in a day or two.

After that, we sat and tried visiting. It was a chore just trying to keep them from fussing over me. It seemed like every time I tried to do something, one of them was there trying to do it for me. I finally got tired of it.

"Girls, you've got to let me try to do things for myself. I'm not helpless. The sooner I start to do things for myself, again, the sooner I'll be better."

I could see that this didn't set well with them, but I was getting a little fed up with them trying to pamper me.

After that, things started to settle down a little bit.

I asked, "How did you get here, and where are y'all going to stay, while you are here? I should be able to go home a couple days, if we can work out how to get there."

Running Deer spoke up then and said, "When we found out you were hurt, we loaded everything into the wagons, and came here as fast as we could. We have Doctor Wagon, and House Wagon, parked outside."

I was surprised that they had brought both of the wagons so I asked," I understand you bringing the wagon that we live in, but why you did you bring my doctor's wagon?"

"Knew you were hurt. We thought you might need Doctor things."

I thought for a minute, and concluded that maybe they were right. There were many items in the wagon that might make things easier for my recovery. There were also many more medical supplies then I normally have in my first aid kit.

I said, "Maybe you're right. There are things in that wagon that we may need. I should be ready to travel home in the next couple of days, but I doubt I will be able to drive, right away. One of you will have to do the driving for me."

"Is okay. Running Deer and Little Doe drive House wagon. Dawn and Moon drive Doctor wagon," Moon said.

"Yes, that will work. However, right now, I don't think I can handle being bounced around too much. We'll see how things are in a day or so."

We continued to talk for a few hours.

Doctor Williams' sister came in, with a bowl of chicken soup. She said that it was time to eat. Turning to my wives, she said that she had food for everyone in the kitchen. She would feed me, while they were in the kitchen eating. Then she said I needed to rest. This started all my wives saying how they would help take care of me.

Seeing that my wives were ready to argue about this, I butted in. I said how Doctor Williams had told me about his sister wanting to study medicine, and how this would be good experience for her. This seemed to calm them down, some; but I could still see they were anxious to take care of me, themselves.

After we had eaten we sat around with the women fussing over me. Doc Williams came in with another man that I'd seen before, but never met.

He said, "Clay, I'd like you to meet Clem Aldrich, our local blacksmith. I know most blacksmiths just do rough metal work, but Clem is kind of an artist. I was wondering if you would let Clem take a look at your instruments, and see if he could possibly copy them."

This got me kind of interested. If Clem could copy them, then possibly I could have a spare set, and Doctor Williams could have a set of his own. Moon then ran outside and brought back my Doctor's bag from the wagon. I set about showing what my instruments were, and how they worked. This got Clem excited, and he brought out a couple of sheets of paper. He started to draw how my instruments looked, and how they worked.

After a minute he asked, "These are great tools but wouldn't some of them be better if they were smaller?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.