Adrian Hunter - Cover

Adrian Hunter

Copyright© 2010 by happyhugo

Chapter 6

My date with Cindy was nothing special, except there seemed to be an immediate attraction between us. I took her out to dinner and then I took her home. She told me what her life had been like, where she went to school and how she became a paralegal. She didn't think she wanted to advance to becoming an attorney and was very happy doing just what she was trained to do.

We sat in my car in front of her parents' house for over an hour. She had told me so much about herself, I had to tell her about what some of my life had been like. "I guess you could say I come from a dysfunctional family. My mother and father are divorced. Both have been in jail or prison. That was my father's fault, not my mother's."

Cindy laid her hand on my arm. "I know, my firm represents Romaine Darcy."

"What has that got to do with it?"

"He is the drug dealer who testified against your mother."

"Oh, then I guess I shouldn't say anything more. I will tell you off the record that my dad is trying to right the wrong he did my mother one time. He isn't trying to send anyone to jail, he just wants Mom to have a clean record."

Cindy smiled and didn't answer. She changed the subject. "You know I told my date last night that I wouldn't be going out with him again. I'm going to see you Tuesday evening when you see Mike. I'll tell Mike that Andrea is looking forward to seeing him next Saturday on our date. Now walk me to my door. It's cold out here."

"I didn't ask you for a date."

"I know, but you were going to." I stepped into the warm entryway for my goodnight kiss. I didn't linger. Somehow I felt slow and easy was the way to this woman's heart.

I chose to meet Mike and Cindy at the New England House. When I told the hostess that I was having a reunion with some friends, she put us into a small private alcove. Mike had the floor Tuesday evening. He told about joining the service right after high school. At the time it looked like a career for him, but now has decided that he was getting out. He has a MOS as an electrician. This could be easily transferred to a civilian application. Mike already had been interviewed by IBM and is waiting on them to see if he has a job.

I didn't say too much in the early part of the evening. Cindy had little to say either. We did watch each other and there were smiles and glances that passed between us. Needless to say, I was becoming enamored with this pretty woman sitting across the table from me.

Suddenly Mike said, "Enough of me. What's your story, Adrian?"

I told it all to Mike and Cindy, starting from the day Mike and I put the boxes in the attic of his previous home. No, that's not correct. I left out all of the feelings I had for the woman I thought for years was my stepmother.

I did say that when Sandra had my father charged with bigamy, I felt I had some responsibility to see to the children's welfare. In a big brother role, so to speak. Not that I had done much, but I saw that they were taken care of. "My father is back in town now, and he has resumed his parental responsibilities. He has always been the one to support them financially. I haven't done any of that, although I guess I was the one to make sure Sandra got the money back from him that he once conned her out of."

"Are they getting back together and getting married?"

"I couldn't say. I'm not in Sandy's confidence anymore. I can say, it wouldn't surprise me."

"Adrian, I don't know your business at all, but it seems as though most of the troubles that beset you are in the past. Just a year and a half and then you can pass the Bar Exam. Your father is here to take over the care of his children whether he marries their mother or not. You are financially better off than most men of twenty-four. What you need is to find some nice young woman and get laid once in awhile. All it takes is to promise to make a commitment somewhere down the road."

"Mike, shut your mouth!"

"Why Sis, am I embarrassing you?"

I came to Cindy's defense. "Cindy, I just knew Mike would embarrass one of us tonight. He used to do it to me all the time and we were only ten years old. You wait, our time will come."

"Thank you. Having an older brother is such a pain sometimes." Pain, maybe, but I could see she adored him just as I did my older sister.

We had spent two hours together. I looked at my watch. "I think I will head north tonight. It is supposed to snow by morning and I have an early class. So are we still on for Saturday?"

"I'm in."

"Me too." I collected a hug from Cindy as Mike got into his car. I went back across the street to the park and told my father that I was going back to school tonight.

"When are you coming home again?"

"Probably not before Saturday morning. Sis will be coming in sometime during the day as well. We are going out with friends."

"Okay Son, have a good trip."

I guess if you tell someone your plans, they are going to believe that you are never going to change them. Circumstances changed mine. My professor was sick Thursday and Friday. Too sick to hold class. Thursday, I completed all my homework and studied for an upcoming quiz. I slept at the campus Thursday night and awoke early Friday morning. I decided I could get to Brattleboro in time for breakfast with Dad.

It was 5:45 when I parked in front of the trailer. Sandy's car was parked next to Dad's. A pang of jealousy swept through me. Screw it. None of my business. I let myself in. I could hear Dad and a woman's voice coming from Dad's room. I had to relieve myself and when I got to the bathroom and nearer to his room, I could hear they were doing more than talking. Still none of my business.

I made coffee, found eggs, bacon, and put bread in the toaster. They were still involved when I slid the dirty dishes into the sink. I let myself out and drove down to the house on the avenue. Where Sandy's car was usually parked, a strange vehicle was there. I went up to Mom's apartment and knocked on the door. Mom's man friend, Peter, opened it. He was dressed, ready for school.

Mom was sitting at the kitchen table with just a robe on. Talk about a red face! "Adrian! Oh my God!"

Peter stood there, surprised, but not embarrassed or in any way ashamed. I stuck out my hand. "Good to meet you again Peter. Things going well for you, I hope."

"Yes, very well thank you." He turned back to Mom. "Will I be seeing you tonight Barbara?"

"I don't know. What are you up to Adrian?"

"I think I planned on having dinner tonight with you and Peter. I'll even get it if you are working."

"Okay. Peter, come back here then. Adrian is a fair cook. He did the cooking when he and his sister lived together."

I hit Mom with the question when Peter had gone. "Who is watching the kids? I notice Sandy isn't home, or at least her car isn't."

"Rena. Sandy spends some nights with your father. Instead of coming home when she gets out of the restaurant, she goes up to the trailer. She'll be here in time to get the kids off to school."

"This been going on long?"

"Since Christmas. Does this bother you?"

"Nope, I think it is what should happen. Why doesn't he move in here?"

"Not enough room. We do have an offer to sell the place. It isn't as much as we hoped, but we are going to accept it. Rena is moving into Melrose Terrace the first of April. Peter has asked me to move in with him. I want a May wedding, but if I have to move in with Peter before then, I can."

"What are Sandy and Dad going to do?"

"I don't know. She hasn't committed to anything yet." Mom paused and then looked into my eyes. "How do you feel about them sleeping together? I know you have been very close to her. For all of what has happened in the last few years, right now, both are single adults."

"Not my place to think about."

"It is too. Son, it has been you that has done the most for all of us. Not one of us would have any happiness if you had sat back and let the world dictate how things turned out. I know Aden is the one to gain the most and I still resent that. But he is trying to make up for some of it." She listened. "Sandra is home. I just heard her car pull in. Stick around, she will be over after she gets the kids off to school. I'm going to work. You want to talk to her here or in her apartment?"

"I'll go over. I'll see the kids for a moment. I feel sometimes as if I was neglecting them." I hesitated. "Mom, congratulations on finding Peter. He seems like a man you can be happy with."

I knocked on the door and Phyllis opened it. She screamed, "Adrian is here."

I received hugs from all three of my siblings. "When did you get here?"

"I came this morning. I ate breakfast at the trailer, stopped to see your Aunt Barbara and heard your mom come in, so here I am."

Tammy spoke, "Mom has to work all night sometimes, but Gram Rena is here so it is all right."

Rena came into the kitchen and glanced at me to see if I would accept what one of the kids told me. I made it easy. "That is terrible her having to work at night. We can hope she doesn't have to do that for too long."

Rena hugged me and whispered, "You're such a fake. You always think of the kids. Before you leave today, can you come see me?"

"How about lunch? I'm going to be here all day. I promised to make dinner for Mom and Peter."

When the kids were dressed for outdoors, I offered them a ride to school. Sandy had been rushing around and said hi, but that was all I got from her. As I went out the door, I turned to her and asked if I could have a cup of coffee when I returned. Still she didn't look directly at me. "Okay, you probably want to catch up on all of the news."

"Yeah, although I think I know most of what is happening." No answer to that comment. I went up to the 7/11 from the school and got some donuts.

The door was unlocked when I came in. I walked in and found Sandy sitting in an easy chair in the living room. I poured us coffee from the pot and put the donuts on a plate, setting it on the end table between the two chairs.

"Adrian, I don't know what to say. I was so shocked when Aden and I realized that you had been in the trailer and most likely heard what we were doing."

"I did hear you and Dad. Remember though, that I have heard you two before doing the same thing. I was only twelve when I heard you the first time. It didn't bother you then. Are you saying it bothers you now?"

"Of course."

"Why? You're consenting adults."

"I know, but it was you who heard us. I feel I owe you so much and to do this behind your back just doesn't seem right."

"So what did you plan to do? Did you plan on asking my permission? That's crazy! Sandy, stand up."

She stood. I took her in my arms and hugged her to me. "Kiss me."

She tried to pull away, but I held her. "I can't Adrian. I just came from your father. It wouldn't be right."

"Would you if you hadn't just come from him?"

"I would want to, but I would feel guilty about it." I let Sandy go and she sank back into her chair. "Understand, if there was no Aden and only you, I think we could make a life together and be happy. But you aren't the children's father, Aden is. I think he has changed enough and he will become a good parent.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.