Displacement - Cover

Displacement

Copyright© 2010 by dak

Chapter 8

Jenny

The conversation between Karen, and Jimmy's parents had gone surprisingly well; once it was explained how much Jimmy could make with the patents there was a general agreement that we should be encouraged. Jimmy's father had been mostly concerned about the physical health of Jimmy, which I knew for a fact was better then ever, with me monitoring him I had increased his metabolism, he was already burning the adolescent fat and replacing it with muscle as well as repairing connections in his brain which I suspected had been the heart of his A.S...

Karen had hammered out a salary agreement as a tutor for us, something that would be in addition to the patent work we had agreed on, she would reap many benefits from our relationship, I saw in her someone who deserved to be rewarded for her dedication to her students, She had even hugged us good bye that night.

Jimmy's father had splurged on the testing equipment we needed, I now had a garage workspace to carry out my work. I had moved our computer into our "lab" and was working on further technical drawings to have machined so I could test the patents, even though I already knew they would work, it helped to show a client anyway.

I was typing away while Jimmy was humming an offspring song in our head, I was bobbing my head along with his humming.

"My rights are denied by those least qualified, trading profit for pride"

"Ahh, I loved this song. Just wait 'till "The rise and fall of grace" comes out in 2008"

"Wow! That's so cool that you know that stuff!"

"Yeah we could make a fortune writing songs and movie scripts"

"Really?"

"No, Jimmy, that would be wrong."

"Right, but the patents aren't?"

"Right, because I made those in the future, and I can still innovate off what I know this is my own work."

"Oh, but it's like stealing from yourself?"

"Exactly, kid."

"Jenny, but what if like you are just a copy, you know, what if you still are in the future?"

I instantly got depressed at that thought, I had considered that, if it was true I would be with Jimmy until we died, hell even if it wasn't I could still be here with him for a long time, I was not sure how I felt about that.

"Jenny, what's wrong?"

"Just thinking about that, Jimmy, about if I am just a copy."

"Jenny I didn't mean that was bad, I just meant that if you are a copy, well I wouldn't mind you being here with me."

"I know, Jimmy, I know. It's okay, just a lot to take in still."

We both got interrupted by the beep on the computer signaling mail, I quickly opened it to find John had emailed me back. I read it out loud.

"Jenny,

I see that your prediction was correct. Now, unless you had a hand in his death ... Well I can only imagine, with what you showed me I can imagine an awful lot.

So, lets say I believe you, what now? What do you want from me? As this is kind of disturbing to say the least I am hesitant to continue correspondence with you, I am going to need some answers, and preferably from you in person.

So, well, what do you say?

John Garcia."

"Not good, Jenny, he wants to meet us."

"I know..."

"What do we do?"

"We can meet him with Karen, in a public place..."

"You trust him?"

"As much as you trust Karen, Jimmy."

"Okay, let's do it."

I smiled as I typed out the reply. Jimmy knew exactly where we could meet.

"This should be interesting," I said out loud.

THREE DAYS LATER.

Jimmy

I walked with Miss White through the food court; we would be meeting John Garcia here in 30 minutes, Miss White had been happy to come along. Jenny was working on something; I could feel her furiously working on an idea. It was strange and felt like my head was buzzing.

"So you know what he looks like?" Miss White asked, taking her tray over to a table.

"Yes Ma'am, Jenny says she can spot him," I said, following her.

"Well that's good. She trusts him?"

I nodded as we sat.

"She said he always looked out for her at MIT."

Miss White nodded at that, she picked at her fries.

"How's all the work coming?"

"Well, Jenny says once we get the parts machined and sell some of the patents, we can start working on the big stuff," I said, taking a bite from my burger.

"Big stuff?"

I nodded while swallowing.

"Yes, Jenny needs the money so that she can help convince her Dad not to work at that mine, and we need money to build the particle accelerator."

Miss White had been drinking from her soda and choked.

"Excuse me?"

"Well we need a focusing array of lasers, too. Military grade."

"Wait, what?" Miss White was looking at me wide eyed.

"Yeah, ummm, Okay, we have to use the lasers to stir up the fabric of space time, and when we have gotten it to flex, we can use the particle accelerator to punch a hole through it," I said.

"That won't work, that theory has never been proven, and the energy output of the laser required is far too high," A voice interrupted us from our side

Two men had walked up to us while we talked. One was a shorter hispanic looking gentlemen in his late twenties, the other was a taller African American.

Jenny

I saw John and instantly took over. Without even thinking, I leapt up and hugged him.

"Thank god John, you have no idea how happy I am to see you. It's good you brought Jerry," I said.

John seemed stunned; he didn't return the hug. He looked at Jerry, frowning, and I let go, blushing.

"I assume you are Jenny?" John asked, looking at Karen.

"Oh right, Sorry this is hard to explain," I said.

The man next to John held up his hand.

"John that food looks good. I'll go get us some food, and give you a few minutes with these two," Jerry said

Karen and I looked at him and we both nodded, John nodded too after a moment.

"Sure," John said.

"Take your time John," Jerry said, walking away.

John looked at both of us back and forth for a minute.

"So, um Jenny I presume? And this is your son?" John asked, gesturing to me.

I watched Jerry walk away, I had forgotten about John's partner, I had not thought they had been together for so long.

"Partner?"

"Oh yeah, he is gay, Jimmy."

"What? We hugged him..."

"Don't be like that, he is cool. There is nothing wrong with gay people, Jimmy."

"What? No, I ... I just never met one before."

"Really? Not at your school?"

"Well not that I am aware of, well, maybe I don't know."

"Ahem," Karen nudged me.

"Oh, sorry," I said

"He does that as you will find out John, Jimmy I was just telling John how you zone out from time to times, John was just asking where Jenny is," Karen said.

"I am right here," I looked at John and smiled.

"Oh, oh I see," John smiled knowingly at me and nodded. "Okay 'Jenny' that's fine with me. So how did you know about the Pope and where did you get those figures?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.