Diane and the Copper - Cover

Diane and the Copper

Copyright© 2010 by Texrep

Chapter 9

The next day I was taken in for interview. This time the duty solicitor was there and the tapes were running. Gascoigne introduced me as Pugin Anderson and constantly called me Pugin, although he would draw out the name to make it sound like Poo-gin. I knew this was done to unsettle me. At one point I called him by his first name, Charles. That annoyed him.

"Remember my rank. I am Detective Superintendent Gascoigne, I outrank you." He shouted. The solicitor quietly put him right.

"Superintendent Gascoigne. You introduced my client to the tapes as plain Mr. Anderson, and not as Inspector Anderson. In intent making him a private person and not a member of the police force. As such your ranking has no bearing." Gascoigne didn't know where to look, although his sergeant had a little smirk on his face. There was a break and when he resumed he asked more questions. He worded them differently but in essence it was almost the same question and answer session as before. The fact that they couldn't ask any significantly different questions told me that the Forensic results were not to his liking and he was having them re-examined.

Two days later I was back at the Nick. Another interview. Gascoigne tried to suggest that they had found something on my clothes. I had been a copper for fifteen years and knew all the little tricks and subterfuges that an interviewing officer would try to trip up the suspect. It was quite amusing as I could see his ploys approaching well before he laid down the trap. Implying that they had found evidence was an old tactic and I refused to take the bait. I knew that they couldn't have found anything. He said he would re-interview me later and asked the custody sergeant to put me in the holding cell. Another scare tactic. The custody sergeant refused and called John Atherton who told Gascoigne that I would be in the canteen for an hour and after that was free to return home. His demeanour told the detective that he didn't think much about his methods. The interview later was a copy of the one in the morning only this time they suggested that one of the nurses was doubtful about my being at the hospital all that evening. It is quite possible that one of the nurses was confused, but there were three on duty that evening so that meant two were probably positive about my presence but of course he would ignore their statements. The solicitor reminded him that the interview had gone on for three hours, and I was allowed a break. Grudgingly he allowed me to leave about eight that evening. The following day they came for me again. I entered the interview room and my clothes were piled untidily on a table against one wall. I sat silently, refusing to say anything until the solicitor was there.

"Why?" He asked. "Have you something to hide?" I said nothing. The interview went very much as before. Gascoigne kept me there on and off for twelve hours all told. The solicitor unstrapped his wrist watch and put it in a prominent position on the table whenever the interview was resumed. A gentle reminder that time was passing and I was allowed breaks for refreshment. Gascoigne was not amused. It was getting late and eventually the solicitor had enough.

"Superintendent Gascoigne. We are going round and round in circles. It is obvious that you have no real evidence at all, so either charge my client or let him go." Gascoigne wouldn't admit a non result. He indicated the pile of clothes and told me ungraciously that I could have them back. He didn't offer me a lift home. I took clothes that I would need immediately and left the rest. Luckily Bob's sergeant, Harry saw me leaving and offered me a lift. He brought me up to date with what was happening.

"He's fucking mad, he couldn't get any of the nurses to suggest that you left the ward at all. They told him the doors were locked after nine in the evening so you couldn't get out without one of them unlocking the doors. The Guvnor wants to wring Gascoigne's neck, because he's wasting time on you whilst the obvious suspect, Radic is putting distance from the crime. The Super is going to call the A.C.C. if Gascoigne doesn't put you out of the frame." It was good to know your colleagues were with you.

Diane had spent these hours waiting and worrying. John had phoned her to let her know what was going on; even so she was imagining the worst. She rushed to me as I opened the door, and bruised my ribs again with her cast as she hugged me. We kissed and I assured her that everything was going to be fine. Her face was drawn with worry. I doubted mine was. I was aware of the tactics that Gascoigne was using. It could have been amusing but he was affecting the one I loved and that put his actions beyond the pale.

"Are you hungry?" She asked.

"Yes. I'll get something in a moment."

"I've made you Spaghetti Bolognaise. All it needs is to go in the microwave for three minutes."

"You've made it?" I said in astonishment. She nodded.

"But how? You can only use your left hand."

"Yes. It was slow, but you're my man and I did want to have something for you if and when you got back." I could imagine the time and trouble she would have taken to prepare that simple meal. My heart went out to her. I took Diane in my arms and held her tightly. She was sobbing. "I was so frightened Pug, that I wouldn't see you back, that they had arrested you or something. We have only just found each other; I didn't want to be parted from you so quickly." Her tears were a torrent down her cheeks. I took out my handkerchief and dabbed them dry.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.