Depression Soup
Chapter 18: My Dog

Copyright© 2010 by wordytom

The next morning, Dog, as I began calling him, followed along with me when I went to bring the cows in. As soon as he saw the cows, he trotted out to them and started to herd them toward the barn. It was obvious Dog had worked stock before.

Even though the cows knew where they were going, Dog followed and kept them bunched up close together, nipping a leg here and barking at a wanderer there. They headed for the barn and each cow went to "her" own feed box. Dog lay down in the door on his belly, chin between his paws and watched.

I gave each cow her ration of grain, took the milk buckets down from their pegs and started to milk my first cow. At the first sound of milk hitting the bottom of the bucket, the cats came hurrying in. At the time we had about six or so cats in residence.

For some mysterious reason we seemed to have a constant cat population of six or eight cats. I used to wonder where the extra ones went because I never saw any dead ones lying around.

The cats looked at the strange dog trespassing on what they considered their territory, hissed and started to back away. He ignored them and concentrated on me. He watched me intently as I milked. I shot a stream of milk at him and his mouth opened up wide and he gulped the warm, delicious right liquid down.

The cats forgot all about their dislike for the dog as they saw him get their milk. They started to make a jealous yowling so I gave them some next. Then the dog got more and then the cats again.

I gave a little extra to the cats and by the time the milking was over, they accepted Dog. His lack of interest in them reassured them in some way. I carried the first two buckets of milk up to the milk house and went back for the next two. A gallon or more of the whole milk was brought to the house every single day.

Some we purposely left out on the covered back porch to sour and then clabber. Ma would boil it down until it separated into curds and whey.

I got to drink the whey, the sourish liquid left after the curds were removed to eventually become cottage cheese. In time Dog begged to share the whey with me. We ran most of the milk through the separator and fed the skimmed product to the chickens and the hogs.

In those days on the farm everything got used "except the squeal of the pig." Even when weeds were pulled, we tossed them onto the compost pile to become fertilizer for the vegetable garden.

Dog sat and watched me separate the milk. Suddenly, he picked up a small tin washbasin we washed eggs in some times. He dropped the bowl at my feet and looked at me and waited. Then he looked back down at the bowl. He was not the subtle kind.

I laughed and poured it full of the separated milk. He "woofed" once to thank me and buried his snout in the frothy liquid He seemed almost to inhale the milk in one long, continuous slurp. After what seemed mere seconds he licked the bowl clean. I laughed and gave him more. He gulped the second one down too, belched and returned to the door to lie down and watch me. He had to be the belchingest dog anyone ever owned. Right then I was very fearful he would not stick around.

After the hogs and chickens were fed, the early morning chores were done. Then I trudged back to the house and washed up for breakfast. Dog followed. He flopped down on the porch. The beef and the milk seemed to revitalize him. Most of the weakness had left him and he seemed to be well on the way to regaining all of his strength. Pa came out of the house and examined the dog and told me why he was recovering so fast.

"Davy, this beast is not much more than a puppy. I'd say he is not more than a year old, if that. He might even grow to be something over two hundred pounds."

Well, I thought this was great. Every boy wants the biggest and the best. I already decided he was the best, and now Pa just told me he was the biggest. I decided I could live with the burden of having the biggest and the best dog in the state. The bond between Dog and me was instant and strong.

"Son," he warned, "If he starts after the calves or the chickens, I'll have to put him down."

"I understand, Pa. But I don't think old Dog will cause you any worry. I watched him bring the cows in and the way he was with the cats. He is a farm dog and a good one." I was positive Dog would never disappoint me.

"Which brings up another point, Son. He may want to go home some day after he really recovers from his ordeal. Are you ready for that?"

"No sir, I am not. I never really cared if we had a dog after old Bunker died, but I surely hope this one sticks around." Old Bunker was my dog who had died two years earlier and I never wanted another dog until now.

I felt this ugly beast was a perfect replacement in all ways. Dog looked at home on our back porch, as if he had always rested there. We went in to eat breakfast. Afterward I gave Dog the meat scraps. He inhaled them and lay back down on the porch as I went back inside.

As soon as I excused myself from the table I went back outside to weed the garden. Dog followed me and plopped down in the shade of an elm tree growing alongside one edge of the garden to watch me. Weeding a garden is one of the worst jobs on the farm. Well, that and cleaning out the barn, which was my next job. The weeds were piled on the compost pile after they were pulled.

Pa had rigged a pipe from the backyard pump to the garden and the chicken yard. I took the gallon can of water that sat there and poured it down the pump to prime it. I pumped water back into the can and then began the task of pumping water into the garden. Our big garden took a lot of water. Normally the windmill did the work for me. But there had been not even a breeze for two days. Because of the recent rainfall, I only had to spend thirty minutes pumping.

Dog followed me out to the barn and watched as I took a wheelbarrow and began to clean out the barn. He seemed to know just where to sit to be out of the way. He watched everything I did as if he wanted to memorize it for later reference. I couldn't get over how he just seemed to fit right in.

In the evening I lit the Coleman lamp in the living room and got out a book to read. Pa came in and sat in his easy chair with his eyes closed. He just rested quiet. Ma darned some socks with holes in the heels. Our evenings were not the most exciting in the world, but they let us sort of "unwind," as it's called now days. Later we went to bed and to sleep.

In the middle of the night I heard a loud yelp and barking, then another yelp of pain and more barking. I threw on my overalls and ran bare footed down stairs. Pa came out of their bedroom with his shotgun in his hands. Whatever was causing the noise was way out of the ordinary.

We hurried down the stairs and saw Dog in a death struggle with two coyotes. He finally clamped those big jaws on the one and I could hear the crunching sound as he bit through the animal's neck, He twisted in mid air, dropped the one he had just killed and engaged the other. He made fast work of him too.

Then he staggered over and picked up a dark bundle and brought it to me and laid it at my feet and collapsed. I could see he was hurt and all done in. The dark bundle was an injured chicken. He had saved the chicken from the coyotes.

"Uh, Pa," I told him proudly, "I think he's going to earn his keep. I also think we don't have to worry about him killing' our chickens."

"Yup," Pa answered and squatted down to see how bad the dog was injured. He was bleeding from some of the bites, but seemed just worn out otherwise. He was still weak from his previous ordeal. "You got a good dog here, Boy." Which meant Pa approved of Dog completely. Pa was very sparse with his praise except where I was concerned.

The next morning I got up a few minutes before five, as usual, and headed out the back door. There was no Dog. He was no place to be seen. I got worried something had happened to him. I wondered if he had gone off somewhere to die? Maybe he was hurt worse than we thought. I was really worried about Dog. But the chores on the farm always came before my worries or anything else. Chores don't wait. As it turned out all my worry was for nothing.

I grabbed the clean milk buckets off the back porch and headed out to the barn. When I got there, I found some very indignant cows milling around waiting impatiently for the barn doors to be opened.

Dog had taken it upon himself to go round up the cows and herd them in. When I opened the doors, the cows hurried inside to take their usual places. "Dog, you really are a very unusual animal. Just wait till I tell Pa. I don't think I ever saw another dog like you."

I noticed how his ears perked up a little and twitched when I said "Dog." He already knew and accepted "Dog" as his name. He sat there all proud and happy and grinned as I got my milking stool and sat down. I placed the bucket between my legs. As I began to milk he sat up straighter and watched me with great attention. As the first milk hit the bottom of the bucket, the cats came running.

Three cats lined up on one side of him and three on the other. I gave Dog the first few squirts and the cats began to meow their protest. I gave them each a few squirts and Dog barked to signify it was his turn. I laughed and gave him his and then the cats demanded some.

I guess I could have emptied our old Swiss cow completely and they would have still made their loud noises as they demanded more. "No more!" I yelled at them, but not too loudly. The cats then hurried off to do cat things and Dog lay there on the dirt floor of the barn, panting. He watched me finish my milking.

When I began to turn the crank on the separator after I filled it with the whole milk, Dog brought the old washbasin over and set it down for me to fill with separated milk. I obliged and he went through the same slurping and gulping until the milk was gone and then licked the bowl clean. I refilled it and he did it again, belched and lay down and waited for me to finish.

Breakfast was on the table as I brought the daily gallon of whole milk inside. "Pa, we got a rare dog there." He raised his eyebrows and waited for me to explain. But I had already shoveled the first bite into my mouth.

"Chew with your mouth closed, Davy." Ma was always saying that to me.

"How so, Son?" Pa asked me. "I know he's trustworthy around cats and chickens, I saw for myself how he acts around them."

I swallowed a too big bite and told him, "Dog went out and had the cows herded in to the barn yard all waiting for me. My old dog is pretty smart. In fact, I bet there ain't another one smarter anywhere in the whole U.S. of A."

"Don't say ain't, David," Ma corrected me.

"Yes ma'am," I answered automatically and turned back to Pa.

"Well, I wouldn't go quite as far as to make that claim, but I'd say he is a pretty smart animal. I'd also say he belonged to a mighty lazy man who would let a dog do all his work for him. It might be best if you go with the dog tomorrow so you can see just how thing are in the south pasture. A dog can't tell you when something is amiss. You might also check out the dam and the pond.

"I have a hunch we might find the river is down and if we take a net and a few five gallon buckets of water and head down to the river, I just bet we could stock the pond with cats in no time."

"Uh, Sir?" Pa looked at me expectantly, "I think it may be a little too mushy to take the road. It would be hard work for a team to get through."

"Well, then let's not take the road then. Why don't we go through the north pasture and cut across the old Simmons place? We'd be on sandstone and shale all the way." My Pa always seemed to stay step ahead.

"Besides, I want to look the place over. The bank took it over, what, about two years ago? They haven't been able to sell it. They owner of the bank would like to get something back on his money. So just maybe we can make a deal for cash."

"I don't see what you want that place for, Pa. It only has one well and it went dry. The whole place is covered with timothy and wild oats and wheat left to sprout on its own and grass and..." I looked at him. "Pa you thinking of starting a beef herd?"

"Don't hurt to look, Son." Pa looked at me and smiled. I knew Pa had been thinking hard for about a week. Usually, in the evening, he read a book written by some dead person or other, but for over a week he had been sitting and pondering.

"I don't know what you got in mind, Pa but I bet we don't lose money on it." It was a safe bet. Pa never stuck his neck out on anything. He just seemed to sort of ease his way through life, being a good neighbor to all and then when he saw a deal he liked, he'd snag it. He never cheated of forced anything to hurt anyone, ever. But he also made sure he didn't get hurt either.

It set me to remembering how we got the last four Percherons we had. He picked them up as yearlings at a country auction where nobody else attended but him and some managers of the big farm outfits.

The sale was supposed to be kept quiet because a few of the "big boys" wanted to grab whatever they could first without anybody else knowing about it. By chance Pa found out about the sale and decided to see what was there they thought was so great.

The sale was held at another bankrupt farm. The owner was what we used to call a "gentleman farmer." He had been a rich banker who bought a section of so-so land where he spent his summers. The farm had the best of everything including a string of American saddle horses, some Percheron draft animals and farm equipment appearing to be hardly used.

The other buyers snubbed the American saddle horses and concentrated on the draft animals. There were four yearling Percherons that looked as if they had been badly neglected and improperly fed since the bank had taken over.

Alongside the big Morgans and other large draft animals, they looked mighty puny. Pa knew horses like a preacher knows the Bible. He got them for a hundred dollars for all four. Of course he had to finagle a little.

One thing in what he called his "buying strategy" was to tell me in a voice loud enough for others to hear, "Davy, If we can get those young Percherons cheap enough, I can sell them for thirty dollars a head and make a profit. Nobody knows the story of these poor beasts back our way."

One of the buyers took the bait and asked Pa, "Howdy, neighbor, what you think of those young Perch colts?"

"Oh," Pa answered him, "They might make fair plow animals if the crazies don't show up in the blood line. You know how some lineages of Percherons are pretty inbred for many generations. I know I would not put a small child untended on the back of one of those four right now. They're just too untrustworthy as they are."

Let me tell you one thing here, Pa would not put a "small child" untended on the back of any horse. To Pa, a "small child" is under five years of age. About the time the fifth birthday rolls around, there are "little chores for the young child."

When the bidding started, Pa bid forty dollars for the four of them. One of the big shot buyers bid fifty. After showing great public indecision, Pa bid sixty and the other bidder came back with seventy. Pa put on a big show of anguished indecision and finally said, "I bid eighty dollars because I can sell them for a hundred. If the man bids eighty one dollars he can have those four crazy two year olds."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.