Period of Adjustment
Chapter 13: A Time for Decisions

Copyright© 2010 by Coaster2

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 13: A Time for Decisions - After eight years in a maximum security prison, Colin Stewart is in no mood to play nice with the people who put him there. In looking for a new start, he needs to protect himself and use another identity. Not everyone is his enemy, but there are still a few around.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Safe Sex   Oral Sex   Violence  

I slept in the next morning. When I finally awoke, it was after nine. I could hear Cassie moving about in the house, so I moved to the ensuite and went through my normal routine. When I walked into the kitchen, Cassie gave me her typical big smile and a kiss on the cheek. That thought about how comfortable I was here passed through my mind once more.

"Good Morning, Colin. Your breakfast is in the oven. I gather you slept well?"

"Yes. I think that vacation did me a world of good, Cass. I've been sleeping much better lately. Not so many bad dreams."

"Wonderful. I was hoping that would help. You'll have to tell me all about the island. Do you think Denis and I would enjoy it?"

"Absolutely! It's part French, part Dutch, and all beautiful."

"I'd better start working on him then. He's due for a vacation in the new year, and I would love to show a winter tan." She paused, looking at me. "I just realized you shaved. With that tan, you look very sexy." I'm sure I blushed.

We talked some more and I outlined the pleasures of St. Maarten/St. Martin. I think Cassie was serious about going there. After I had finished my breakfast and cleaned up the dishes, I poured a second cup of coffee and we sat again at the kitchen table.

"Kayla came to see me last Sunday, Colin. She was asking a lot of questions about you. I think she is very interested in you, but she is being very careful. I don't think she can stand being hurt again."

I nodded my understanding.

"It wasn't until after she was involved with that man that he told her he was married. She was already in love with him and was torn whether to break it off or continue. She let the affair drift for a few weeks before his wife discovered the truth. When it came down to it, he wasn't going to marry her. He was just happy with having a mistress. Kayla didn't realize that until it was over. I think that hurt more than anything. She thought it was love and he didn't."

"Well, she knows I'm not married. She knows I'm not the kind of guy the jumps from one girlfriend to another. I don't know what I can do to prove I'm sincere. We haven't been intimate, so ... I don't know quite what to say or do that will convince her I'm genuine.

"Even then, we don't know each other that well. There are no guarantees in life. I find her fascinating and exciting and beautiful. But that doesn't mean we are right for each other. I've been burned too. Maybe not the way she has, but enough to make me careful and patient as well."

I know Cassie understood and believed I wanted what was right for Kayla too. She knew me well enough not to worry about my motives. I hoped that she had passed that assurance along to Kayla.

"You should phone her tonight. I'm sure she'll want to talk to you about your trip and her interview. I got the impression she didn't want to tell me about it so I wouldn't spoil it for you. That sounds good, doesn't it?"

"I hope so. I had visions of her and me working together. Kind of a new-age Nick and Nora Charles."

She was genuinely astonished. "My god, Colin, are you that old that you remember them?"

I laughed. "No ... but I'm a big fan of old black-and-white mystery movies. We had a big library of them at Kingston. So ... maybe John Steed and Emma Peel?"

Cassie laughed. "In your dreams, Colin, in your dreams."

"We'll see, Madam Simard. Time will tell."

I couldn't wait to talk to Kayla and phoned at five that afternoon.

"Oh, Colin, welcome home! How was your vacation?" She sounded very up.

"Great! I enjoyed every minute of it and I think it did me a lot of good. I feel a lot more grounded today than when I left. And how about you? How did you make out with Harold?"

"Why don't we talk about it in person? Are you free? Can you come here?"

I looked at Cassie and she nodded, almost knowing what the question might be.

"Yeah. Can I pick up something for us to eat? Do you like Chinese?"

"Sure, that will be perfect. I've got some wine and we can have a nice evening and tell each other about our adventures."

It was less than an hour later when I arrived at Kayla's place. Cassie had given me a menu from her favorite Chinese restaurant. Even great cooks enjoy take out food now and then. I phoned in an order and picked it up on the way. It was still hot to the touch when I delivered the large bag to Kayla's kitchen counter.

"My God, Colin! There's enough food here for six people," she laughed.

"I wasn't sure what you liked, so I brought a nice variety," I offered meekly.

Kayla was shaking her head. "Let me get the plates out of the oven and you can open the wine."

Kayla was right. There was enough food for at least six people. We chose some items that could be frozen and then heated again. At least there wouldn't be too much waste. When we got further along in the meal, I couldn't contain my curiosity any more.

"So tell me, how did you make out with Harold?"

She grinned like the Cheshire Cat. "I have a job offer. The role is perfect for me ... industrial counter-espionage. The salary is better than I'm earning now and the benefits are at least as good. All in all, I couldn't be happier. Plus ... I really liked Harold. He's a pro and you can sense he doesn't put up with any nonsense. You play by the rules if you want to work for him."

I was nodding my head in agreement. She was exactly right. "That's Harold, all right. I'm happy for you, Kayla. It means we'll likely be working on the same team, assuming Harold still wants me."

"Oh, he wants you all right. He might have been kidding when he said my employment was conditional on getting you to sign on the dotted line."

"When do you start?"

"Two weeks from Monday. I've handed in my notice last Friday and I'm done a week from Friday. I don't think there'll be any tears shed at York."

"Dumb bastards! You'd think they'd know better by now. Oh well, their loss is our gain. Harold won't let you spin your wheels."

"I'm excited about it, Colin. I can't thank you enough for giving me this opportunity. Without you, I'd never have known about it. I owe you a lot."

"Good. I'll have to think of ways you can repay me," I smirked.

"I've been working on that. I have some ideas." I could see the laughter in her eyes. She was happy, and that made me happy too.

"What about a place to live?" I asked.

"I'm already searching on line. It's a bit more expensive, but I should be able to find something. There are some nice, small condos for sale on the old Expo '86 site. I don't need much space. This place is just 1100 sq. ft. and it's plenty big enough. I'm hoping to find a place with a view."

"I think your timing is probably pretty good. There should be some bargains around right now with the slumping market. That won't last long, so grab something you like while you can."

"Where are you going to live?" she asked.

"Don't know yet. Probably rent until I find something I really like. Like you, I don't need much space. It's more a matter of location. Of course, we could always go in together and share," I grinned.

She looked a bit startled for a moment, taken aback by my offhanded remark, but said nothing.

I decided to leave it at that. It was a smart aleck thing to say in the first place. I didn't want to spoil the good mood. I should have known better than to say it.

When I went back to the Simard's later that evening, I had a lot to think about. I wondered just how offended she might have been with my glib suggestion. It didn't seem to be a big deal for the rest of my visit, but I felt on edge and more than a little careful with my comments. I think Kayla might have picked up on that too. We had lost that comfort zone we were in, and it was entirely my fault.

As I lay in bed staring at the ceiling, I started to form a plan. The cat was out of the bag as far as my feelings for Kayla went. Who was I kidding? I was in serious lust for the woman. The fact that we would be working in the same office, if not together, wasn't going to lessen that feeling. I also suspected she would be the object of interest to any single man within fifty miles. Hanging back to see what might happen wasn't an option. It was always better to take the initiative. Once my mind was made up, I was able to get to sleep. I knew what I wanted to do.

"Cass, I'm going to head back to Vancouver tomorrow. I need to get my car in Kelowna and I want to find a place to live before Kayla gets there."

"Why? I mean, why before Kayla gets there?" She was startled by my abrupt announcement.

"Well, don't say anything to her, but I'm going to find a place so nice that I can convince her to share it with me. She won't be able to resist ... I hope."

Cassie laughed one of her famous belly laughs. "You think that will work?" she finally managed.

"Don't know. But I'm damn well going to give it a try," I said with more bravado than I felt.

"Colin, I think you're missing something here. You haven't told her how you feel about her, and I know she hasn't told you about her feelings either. Don't you think your plan will paint her into a corner ... a corner she might not want to be in just yet?"

I stopped for a moment. She was right, of course. I was pushing her into a yes-no situation. I could read Cassie's thoughts. I might be making a blunder I couldn't recover from. So much for that plan!

"What do you suggest," I asked in surrender.

"Just what I said. Tell her how you feel. It's too early for either of you to commit yourselves. Both of you need time to find your feet. New jobs, getting over old, unhappy situations, a new city. Too much to put on either of you just yet. Take your time. Let it happen at its own speed. I know for a fact that Kayla has some feelings for you. She wouldn't be spending time with you if she didn't. She's that kind of woman. She doesn't waste time on losers. Just don't push too hard too soon."

I couldn't argue a single thing she said. She had pulled all my emotions into perspective. There is no substitute for good advice, and Cassie was loaded with it. I couldn't help a smile. She had become my surrogate mother. The older woman who could keep me from making mistakes. A woman with experience in life that would help guide me.

I phoned Kayla just after six that evening, asking if I could visit her later on. She agreed and I said I would be there before eight. I wasn't giving myself much time to think about what I was going to say. I had already booked my flights to Kelowna. I would be there mid-afternoon tomorrow, rescue my car, and be back in Vancouver by noon the next day.

I rang the chimes just after seven thirty, realizing I was anxious to see her again. She opened the door and stood for a moment, smiling at me. I stepped into the foyer and shed my coat, hanging it on the stand by the door. She welcomed me into the living room and offered tea, which I accepted.

"Kayla, I've decided to go back to Vancouver tomorrow. It's time I began to organize myself and start my new job. I'm going to miss seeing you for the next ten days or so, but I think it's necessary that I go."

She nodded, not looking sad, but certainly not smiling. "I'll miss seeing you too, Colin, but ... it won't be for long. Where are you going to stay?"

"Downtown. There's a residence hotel near English Bay that I've booked for the next two weeks. I can decide to stay longer if I need to. It will give me a chance to look for a place at the same time. It's a two bedroom unit with two bathrooms. You're welcome to stay there when you come out. No strings attached," I hurried to add.

She smiled. "Maybe I'll take you up on that, as long as I can contribute to the cost. It would be more convenient, wouldn't it?" I must have sighed audibly when she said that, because she almost burst out laughing. "Are you really that nervous of me?"

The pressure was off, all of a sudden. "Yeah. Yeah, I guess I am. I'm trying very hard not to do or say the wrong thing."

"Why?"

"That should be obvious. I'm very attracted to you and I want to get to know you better and I'm hoping you want the same thing. I'm just being very careful."

"You sure are," she said, still with a cheerful look. She rose from her chair and came to sit beside me on the sofa, sitting sideways and putting her arm around my shoulders. She leaned in and kissed me. I mean, she really kissed me. I couldn't help but respond. I don't know how long it lasted, but it wasn't quick.

"Ohhhh ... Kayla ... that was nice."

"Mmmmmm ... I thought so too." She pulled me in again, and I turned more toward her, my arms going around her to pull her even closer to me. Again, it was a long, sensuous kiss.

She looked at me carefully, almost studying my features, my expression. I couldn't read what she was thinking, but it seemed like she was trying to decide something.

"I think it's time we got to know each other even better," she whispered, rising from the sofa. She took my hand and I stood, following her to the back of the house. Her bedroom was nicely decorated, softly lit, but not overly feminine. The bedspread was partially pulled down, ready for a single occupant. She stopped at the side of the bed and turned back to me.

I held her face in my hands as she began to undo the buttons on my shirt. She was removing all doubt about what she wanted, and I was just as sure it was what I wanted as well. It took very little time for us to undress one another and I marvelled at her incredible body. Soft, womanly curves with a hint of muscle in her arms, abdomen and thighs. She was what I imagined a female athlete would look like.

I was strangely at ease with her. I'm not sure why, but it was a relief that I could concentrate on pleasing her and not worry about myself. I didn't expect it, but that was how the evening played out. I spent a great deal of time in foreplay, which she appreciated. She was quietly demonstrative, and I slowly and deliberately attended to each perfect part of her.

When we finally joined, it was almost a natural, familiar movement. We were completely in tune with each other. Nothing needed to be said and nothing was held back by either of us. We were finding pleasure in each other without any constraints. It was a first for me, and I wondered if it might be a first for Kayla.

"That was lovely, Colin. I didn't expect it to be so perfect and so satisfying," she said as we lay beside each other. She rolled on her side, facing me. "You didn't surprise me, though. I sensed you weren't going to rush me. You spent a long time proving that." Her sultry smile and compliments were my reward. There wasn't anything I needed to say in response.

We were silent for several minutes, basking in the afterglow. At last, I expressed my hopes. "I'm sorry I have to go. Perhaps when you get to Vancouver, we'll be able to do this again?"

She smiled. "Count on it. I could use a steady diet of a considerate lover. You've left me with a very complete feeling, and I'm going to want more. It's a very nice experience."

When I left later that evening, I was walking on air. Out of nowhere we had connected, and Kayla made it plain she not only had no regrets, but she wanted to further our relationship. What more could I ask for?

I said my good-byes to Cassie and Denis the next morning at the breakfast table. I was very grateful for their hospitality and their support during a very difficult three weeks. The vacation had been an inspired idea. Just the separation between the violent events previously, and the wonderful distraction of Kayla, had made my visit extraordinary.

I called Kayla's cell later that morning as I waited to board my aircraft. We talked about staying in touch, which I promised I would do daily. She was already counting the days until the following Friday, when she would be free to fly out to the coast and join me. I would be counting along with her.

My flights were on time and I rescued my Maxima from the parking lot and began the long drive to Vancouver. By the supper hour, I was past the summit of the Coquihalla Pass and decided to call it a day almost where I had started this journey three weeks earlier. The motel in Hope still had a vacancy, and the nearby pub was open with a few patrons.

Throughout the flights and my drive, my mind was almost exclusively focused on Kayla. The unexpected encounter last night had been a wonderful surprise. I was inventing all sorts of scenarios relating to our reuniting next week. She seemed willing to share the residence hotel suite I had booked. I didn't want to take anything for granted, but I was thinking about trying to talk her into our looking for an apartment or condo that we could share.

I was going to call her when I realized it was almost eleven pm in Toronto. I would call her tomorrow morning as soon as I got up. In the meantime, I flopped in one of the pub's lounge chairs and waited to be served. A pint of ale and a steak sandwich later, I was feeling very relaxed and fairly certain I wouldn't have any trouble sleeping that night.

"Hi Kayla. I'm sorry I missed calling you yesterday. I forgot about the time change."

"Don't worry about it, Colin. I'm glad you called this morning. You arrived safely, I take it."

"Yes, it's crazy ... me forgetting to call you. I was thinking about you all the way out here."

"I've been thinking about you too. You were ... very gentle, very caring."

"I didn't feel as nervous as I thought I might be," I admitted.

"Cassie told me you were someone special. I didn't really know what to expect. If she knew what we did, she'd be laughing right now, probably thinking what a brilliant matchmaker she is."

"Well, in fairness, it wouldn't have happened if she hadn't introduced us. I owe her for that. She always seems to be looking after me ... one way or another."

We talked a little more before we said goodbye with my promise to call her tomorrow. I drove directly to the hotel and checked in before noon. There were plenty of suites available and I chose one on the eighth floor with a view of the bay. It didn't take me long to get settled, and I struck out to find a restaurant for lunch. It was a sunny Friday, and the streets were full of people hurrying in both directions along the sidewalk.

I left a message for Harold that I had arrived in town and would check into the office Monday morning if that was convenient. He had my cell phone number to confirm an appointment. I left the car at the hotel and caught a cab, asking the driver where I would find some decent menswear shops. It was time to improve and expand my wardrobe. The driver's English language skills were limited, but he got the message and a short while later he deposited me at a busy city intersection.

Some careful exploration, I turned up a very nice independent men's shop in a large upscale mall right at the city center. I was under no financial constraints, and with the assistance of an experienced salesman, I found three suits, three more pairs of slacks, two sport coats and a navy blazer, several shirts, sweaters, and ties. I think I made his sales quota for the week that afternoon. Then again, he had what I wanted, and he figured out what I looked best wearing.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.