The Hillside
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2010 by Jay Cantrell

The Dunleavy clan started to settle into a routine. Jacob was used to heading out to handle the farm chores at daybreak. Marnie put her foot down on that note.

"We have people hired to do that," she insisted. "If we need to bring in someone to take over those tasks then we'll bring in someone. But you're the owner of this place — and the place next door, too. You're not a hand — you were never a hand, I hope you know that even if I treated you that way for a while."

Jacob chuckled but Marnie turned serious.

"We can bring in people to do the work," she said. "But we've got other chores that need to be done around here — especially the type that might make you a bit tired in the morning."

Still, Jacob and Marnie would spend the days figuring out ways to grow the ranch. There was land around them that could be purchased for expansion and they discussed whether it would be worthwhile to make an offer.

Susan and Ann were spending more time together. Susan was learning horsemanship and Ann was a willing tutor. During the afternoons when the heat was almost unbearable the girls would work in the barn or around the house.

In return Susan was teaching Ann to read and to write. She was helping the younger girl to soften some of her harder mannerism. Ann had grown up on the street. There times when she was vulgar and uncouth. Susan wasn't as refined as she believed herself to be — but she was far more feminine that Ann.

Dinner was Marnie's department — at her insistence. Jacob suggested that with money that they had and what they had coming in that she should look for a cook. She politely but firmly declined.

It was the four of them around the table — blond haired Jacob, red-haired Marnie, brown-haired Susan and black-haired Ann. Four people as different in looks as could be imagined — Jacob was thin as a rail; Marnie was buxom with a full figure; Susan was tall and small busted; Ann was short and just starting to fill out — but so alike in temperament.

Jacob had admit that they made a good team.

The routine changed about three weeks after their return.


Jacob and Ann were in the barn when Susan came racing in. She had seen the dust clouds rising from the trail. The men were out on the south pasture and the dust came from several horses.

There were only a handful of men around to protect the house. Jacob cursed his stupidity.

"Ann, get the rifle and get up to the top floor of the house," Jacob instructed. "Susan, get Red and head to the south pasture. Tell the men there might be a problem and tell Sam to bring five or six back with him."

Susan nodded and headed toward Red.

"Susan," Jacob said. "Don't you come back with them. You wait until we're sure everything is safe. OK?"

"I'll be back with them, Jacob," she insisted. "It's my home, too."

She was off toward the pasture at a gallop before he could say anything further.

Marnie already had the rifle out when Jacob and the three hands came inside.

"Ann is upstairs," she said.

"You got the downstairs," Jacob instructed. "Stay low and change windows. Do not fire until one of us outside does. We're spreading out around the barn and the house. I hope we can bluff them about how many we got here until Susan gets back with Sam."

Marnie nodded.

She had not been happy about Jacob's insistence that a number of the hands had to be gun hands. The men worked as hard as any others but she couldn't find it in her heart to trust them.

Jacob knew almost all of the gun hands he hired — about 10 so far — but there were a couple she could barely stand the sight of — especially given the way they looked at Ann and Susan.

But now she was glad to have people around who would kill if need be. She and Jacob had built this farm up and there no way a gambler was going to take it from her.

Jacob picked a spot where he could be seen. There really was no choice. He couldn't let the raiding party get to the house. So he stood in the open and waited. He knew it would be his last choice if it came to gunfire but he could think of no other way to protect Marnie and Ann.

He didn't bother to holster his pistol and he had been further surprised when Ann had put his second gun in his empty slot. She hadn't said a word, just kissed his cheek and went inside. Ann had carried the gun since the day her brother had died. Jacob didn't have the heart to ask for it back.

As the group came into sight, Jacob was given pause. There were four horses but the dust was coming from a coach that accompanied the four. From a distance, Jacob couldn't make out particulars but as they come closer he spotted a couple of faces he recognized.

One he didn't mind seeing again. The other he could do without.

The lead riders of the group were Amos Powers — and his daughter, Juliette Jones.

They reined in to a stop and Amos alit with a bound. He was over 40 but he still ran his store with fervor.

"Jacob, my boy!" he said. "Thanks for the telegram. It was good to hear from you. That boy of mine was saying he saw you in Topeka."

Jacob extended his hand toward the older gentleman but Amos clasped him in a tight hug.

The hand that accompanied Jacob stepped forward, gun at the ready.

"Everything OK boss?" he asked.

"Fine, Joe," Jacob answered. "Old friends paying a visit. Head back and let them know at the house."

Jacob thought for a moment.

"Joe, they're going to be jumpy up there," he said. "Go in obvious and loud but stop outside of rifle range and hail the house. Wait until Marnie gives you the OK before you get too close."

"Damn right boss," he said with a laugh. "Ann is a hell of a shot. And Miss Susan can knock a fly off a bull's ass from 200 paces."

That was information Jacob hadn't known. He knew Susan and Marnie had been practicing but apparently Susan wasn't as helpless as he believed.

"Problems, Jacob?" Amos asked when Joe had departed.

Jacob shrugged.

"Usual," he said. "We're a little isolated out here. It's nice but it also means that we have to be ready for the unexpected."

Amos nodded but Jacob spoke again.

"Plus I'm sure Jim told you another reason," he said. "If he didn't I'm sure you got chapter and verse in Oklahoma."

Amos laughed.

"Well, I heard a mite bit about it," he said. "Both places. By the way, I got a note for you."

He pulled a piece of parchment out of his pocket.

"That's 2 ya own me, Dunn, " it read.

It was signed Ed Stanton.

Jacob looked askance at his guests.

"You can explain this after we get up to the house," he said. "You take care of things up there?"

"Didn't need to," Amos said. "That's what the note's about. Let me get Juliette and Carmen out of the sun. Then I'll fill you in."

Jacob led the procession back to the house. Sam and the gunslingers were there and Susan, Ann and Marnie were on the porch, rifles at the ready.

Jacob smiled at his army.

"Who are our guests, Jacob," Marnie asked as she met him at the post.

"Some friends of mine," Jacob answered. "And not the type friends of mine that Sam and Earl are."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.