The Outsider
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

"Stephanie is dead."

I didn't hear anything else as my mind shut down. I'd killed her. If I wasn't so jealous, she would still be alive. It was my fault, why was I so stubborn, why didn't I just wait for her. The immense pain I felt needed an outlet. The easy target was the man she was with in the pub. Was she with him when it happened? Of course she was, I told myself. I hope he's dead as well, because if he isn't he soon will be. There was no real logic to my thoughts just jumbled up ideas of blame, mainly at myself.

"DAVID!" I heard my mother's voice shout down the line.

"I'm sorry Mum, its all my fault. I killed her." I rambled.

"What are you talking about. She was in a taxi heading home when it was hit by drunk driver."

The relief that she wasn't with Macho Man was unacceptable but still there.

"I left her in the pub, that's why she had to catch a taxi. It's all my fault."

By now the tears were streaming down my face.

"Don't be silly son." She said gently. "It was an accident, they do happen you know."

Once more I was selfish. I did not consider how her death was affecting my parents who had acted as surrogate parents to her during the last six months. All I was concerned about was how it affected me.

My mother kept consoling me until I heard the doorbell ring. I told my mother someone was at the door and she said that is was my father. I put the phone down and went to let Dad in. I then cried on his shoulder like I'd never done before, even as a young child.

Dad stayed with me until virtually falling asleep on my feet, he led me to bed, where I collapsed. Needless to say I didn't sleep that well and when my alarm sounded in the morning felt awful. At least I could feel, which was more than Stephanie could. My main thoughts at that time were either guilt or wishing that it had been me in the taxi rather than Steph. Without really considering what I was doing I got dressed for work. Once I did think about it, I decided to go in anyway. I needed to tell them about Stephanie and hopefully work would take my mind away.

It proved a rather bad decision as just after I left Stephanie's department, leaving her boss with the devastating news, I ran into Macho Man. He instantly recognised me and the condescending smug look he gave me was just too much. Much to his surprise I launched myself at him. Although he was younger and more muscular than I was, he stood no chance against surprise and my adrenaline filled anger.

Easily knocking him to the ground, I really laid into him, all the time shouting "Killer" or "Murderer" as my fists struck wherever they could. Apparently it took four colleagues to pull me off. As the red mist slowly cleared two of them led me to an empty office whilst one of the others went for assistance from someone higher up. About five minutes later my boss, Steve and Sheila Partridge's assistant from Personal turned up. They had obviously spoken to some of the witnesses to what they described as my unprovoked attack.

"What's this all about?" Asked Mike Dean, the Personal guy, his face registering his obvious shock. "Why the weird allegations and attack?"

"Simple, because of that smug moron my girlfriend is now dead." I answered with venom.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.