The Psychic
Chapter 16: Farsighted

Copyright© 2009 by Monbade

Mount Rainier National Park;

Victor had driven for thirty minutes when they found a side road. A sign said camping and he was about to pull in and park when he remembered what Michelle had told him about the sniffers. Pulling over, he stopped and stood up, "Amber, come drive, head for highway 123 and then get on 410 before you look for a camping spot. When you find one, pull in and let me know. I have to do something that will throw the trackers off."

"Ok," Amber replied and slid into the driver's seat. She watched as Victor went and sat in the living area.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Throwing the trackers off our trail," Victor replied as he closed his eyes and summoned his power.

"Cool, look dad's floating!" Amy said as she sat at the kitchen table putting a puzzle together with her sisters.

The girls watched as Victor floated two feet off the floor of the RV. Amber shook her head in surprise and put the vehicle in gear. She signaled and pulled out on to the road, heading in the direction Victor wanted them to go. Amber watched in the mirror as Victor stayed in the same position as she went around the bends in the road. Not understanding what he was doing, she drove down the road. Two hours after entering the park, Linda came up and sat beside her.

Sitting down, Linda pulled out a ball of yarn and her knitting needles from the bag she had placed between her feet. She started knitting as she watched the road ahead. "Mistress Amber, what is Master doing?" she asked.

"He said it was something to throw the trackers off. How it works I have no idea, and I assume he will tell us when he is through with his levitating. What are you knitting? I wish I could do that, but as my dad used to say before he died. I FUBAR it every time," Amber said as she changed lanes to go past a slow moving car.

Linda laughed at the FUBAR comment. She hadn't heard it since she left the Navy two years ago. "I'm making a surprise for the Master," Linda stated.

"Ok, I was just wondering. Light green and brown are his favorite colors," Amber stated as she honked her horn at a kid about to dart out in front of them.

"Ok. I was thinking grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for dinner. How does that sound to you?" Linda asked as she held up her knitting and looked at it.

"Sounds good to me. Since we have so much cheese, we might as well use it. Just watch your fingers, with those cheese monsters in back," Amber replied as she merged back into the right lane.

"I will, I watched as they scarfed those cheese omelets down yesterday. I swear they were guarding their plates like they were going to steal each other's food," Linda said with a giggle.

"You're bad! Go get me a bottle of water, please," Amber said.

She flicked the left hand blinker on and turned onto Highway 123. She saw Linda get up out of the corner of her eye and go to the back.

After two hours of traveling north, they reached a section where 123 turned into 410. Amber sat there and looked east and north. Looking back at Victor and seeing he was still concentrating on his levitation, she turned back to the road. Biting her lip, she thought, 'Which way do I go?'

'Love, we want to go north, ' Victor sent to Amber when he felt her thoughts.

"North it is," Amber said aloud as she checked the mirrors, and pulled onto the road. Traveling ten miles down the road, she barely saw the sign for camping and flipped the blinker on again. Pulling onto the narrow road, she headed into the forest. Branches scraped across the top of the RV and she barely squeezed through a narrow spot with several trees growing close to the road. The tree limbs that would have been over the road had been cut off and the stubs painted black. Three miles later, Amber pulled out into a small clearing.

Across from her was a large pickup with a 5th wheeler hooked up to it. The trailer was sitting on a concrete pad. Looking around, she spotted several more pads scattered around. Amber was looking for one to park on when she spotted the space she wanted, off to their left. It would allow them to do a U-turn and head right back out if they had to. Turning towards the pad, she drove up onto the pad and shut down. To her left a sign said, RV and trailer hook up was five dollars a day, pay at the store. Next to the sign, a bench-and-picnic-table was standing on end beside a brick barbeque pit.

Turning in her seat, she said, "We're here. Victor, you need to hook us up and find the store to leave the payment for the electric that we will use. The cost is five dollars a day, which isn't bad if it includes electric and water for the day."

"Ok, I will go find it after I hook up. Before you ask, I think I threw them off, we can only hope, and wait," Victor said as he lowered himself to the floor and stood up.

"Girls we're camping here. While your father goes and pays the camp fees, let's get the table down on its legs," Amber said as the triplets came out of the back with Linda.

"Ok, Mom," Amy replied.

Victor opened the door, and the steps lowered to lock in place. He then helped everyone down as he leveled the RV. With that done, he hooked up the power, septic and water. There was even a cable hook up; he hooked that up as well. Standing up, he looked around for the store, but couldn't see it. He did see a path that headed to his left and could hear people talking. Grabbing his wallet, he started that way when Lisa ran up and took his hand.

"Is it ok if I come with you?" she asked.

"Sure, sweetie," Victor replied as he looked over at Amber.

"Amber, I'm taking Lisa with me," Victor said.

"Ok, hurry back. We're having grilled cheese and tomato soup," Amber replied as Linda and she pulled the table down.

"Sounds good. If they have charcoal, I will get some for the pit and we can cook on that, too," Victor replied as the two of them walked away.

Wandering down the path, they listened to the birds singing and chipmunks chattering at them for bothering them. Lisa was pointing out several butterflies when they were almost run over by a group of kids. The two boys were chasing a girl and all three were armed with 'Super Soaker' water guns. There were spraying water at each other. Victor took a blast right in his face and the kids slammed to a stop apologizing for hitting him. Lisa was laughing as she looked at her father with a soaked shirt.

"It's ok, no foul. Just be careful who you hit," Victor said as he looked at the three kids. The redheaded girl was wearing a two-piece bikini bathing suit, while the two boys had swim shorts on. One boy had red hair and looked like a brother to the girl. The other was blond, so he wasn't sure of his relationship to the others.

"Hi! This is my dad, Victor Adams. I'm Lisa Adams," Lisa said.

"Hi, I'm Jessica Nikes. This is my brother Cody and our cousin Louis," Jessica replied as she stuck her hand out.

Victor watched the two girls talk, and then asked, "Is this the way to the store?"

"Yes, it is, Mister Adams," Cody replied respectfully.

"Thank you. Are you three staying in the fifth wheel back in the clearing?" he asked and when they nodded, he said, "Lisa, why don't you take your new friends back to the RV and introduce them to your sisters and mother."

"Ok, Daddy," Lisa replied, kissed him and then said, "Come on."

Victor watched the four kids head off, and then turned. Walking down the path that seemed to slip through the trees, he came out into another clearing. There was a small store with a propane tank up on stilts behind it. The building was painted green with brown trim to make it blend into the background.

Walking towards the door, he saw a man and woman coming out so he rushed over and held the door open for them.

"Thank you, young man," the woman said as she stepped out with her hands full of bags.

Victor noticed that she was an adult version of Jessica. "You're welcome Mrs. Nikes," Victor replied as he held the door.

"Young man, how did you know my name?" Norma asked.

"I met your daughter and son on the way over here with my adopted daughter. They're now back at our campsites playing with her sisters. Or I assume they are," Victor replied.

"I see," Norma replied as she looked at the young man. She was studying him, and he didn't seem old enough to have adopted children. She wanted to ask how old he was, but didn't. With a nod, she stepped aside and allowed her husband to come out of the store.

"This is my husband Dirk," she said.

"Nice to meet you, Sir," Victor stated as he offered his hand, but noticed his were full as well. "I would shake hands, but it looks like you have them full. Besides I need to pay for our hookups. So, I'll see you back at the campsite," Victor said.

"We'll see you there. We're having a barbeque tonight. Why don't you and your family join us," Dirk asked.

"We'd love to. I'll let you get on your way, and I will get the items we need and see you there," Victor replied.

With a nod, the couple walked away talking as Victor went inside.

Walking over to the register, he said, "I need to have the power turned on for slot six."

"Yes, Sir. How long are you staying?" David Webb asked.

"I think a week," Victor replied as he pulled out two twenties and placed them on the counter.

"Yes, Sir. That will be thirty-five dollars," he said as he picked up the two twenty dollar bills. Placing them in the cash register, he returned a five to Victor.

"Thanks," Victor said and walked around the store picking up several items they needed.

Victor grabbed hamburger buns, hamburgers, hot dogs, hot dog buns, lettuce, tomato, a very large onion, skewers for marshmallows and a bag of large marshmallows. Carrying them back to the counter, he set them down. The last item Victor grabbed was a twenty-pound bag of charcoal for the barbeque.

David rang the items up and Victor paid for them in cash.

"Have a nice barbeque, but please keep the fire under control," David said as he bagged the items.

"Thank you, we will," Victor replied

He lifted the bag of charcoal to his shoulder, looped up the three other plastic bags in one hand, and headed for the door. Victor started up the path, and was almost to the tree line when four girls came running down the path towards him. Clutched in their hands were large 'Super Soakers'. When they reached him, they split apart, two going on each side of him. Shaking his head at his daughters, he started on the path and then stopped as two drenched boys came towards him. They had their guns up and ready as they reached him.

"Mister Adams, did you see my sister and your daughters come by here?" Cody asked.

"Gentlemen, I suggest you both give them the win. Because I think, you two are sadly out numbered. But if you're set for more punishment, they went towards the store," Victor replied.

Cody smiled, and said, "Thanks!"

The two boys took off after the girls with their weapons up and ready.

Victor watched as the two boys took off for the store. Before reaching the store, they split up and went around the building. He heard screaming as Cody came running back with four girls hot on his tail. Laughing, he turned and headed for the RV. Five minutes later, he walked back into the clearing and over to the trailer. Amber and Linda were in the trailer as he set the items he'd bought down on the picnic table.

"Victor, set the barbeque up, we're having company for dinner. Then go help Mister Nikes to bring their table over," Amber shouted from inside the RV.

Walking over to the barbeque, he lifted the grates out and grabbed the bag of charcoal. Tearing it open, he made a trench, rolled the bag up and stuck it inside. While he was burying the bag with the charcoal, a shiver went down his back. Turning around, Victor listened for anything out of place with his powers. Not seeing anything or feeling anything wrong, he took two steps towards the RV and crashed to his knees. His hands went to his head, as a scream ripped through his mind.


San Francisco;

Sasha grabbed her mother's hand as they exited Wal-Mart and headed across the parking lot. Between the two of them, they pushed the cart full of groceries to the van.

"So, are you spending the night over at Nancy's?" Annabelle asked her daughter.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.