Masterbuilder - Cover

Masterbuilder

Copyright© 2009 by White Zulu

Chapter 16: Interlude One

After breakfast we took our leave from the girls, telling them that we needed to check on a few things. And we would see the lawyer as well.

When I mentioned that I was not dressed for a meeting with the lawyer both Alfred and Wilbur thought I was mad.

"Bert, nobody dresses up for anything hereabouts. Well, maybe for church, a wedding or a funeral. You cannot even count on the lawyer wearing a tie, even though he might have one or two. You are fine."

He popped us over to his building once more and we found it just as we left it. Alfred booted his system and said that we should check on the recruiter first, switching on the map feature on his main monitor.

It took Alfred a long time to find him, starting with his dropping point and then searching in ever increasing circles. O. had almost managed to reach the Brooke Range, probably hoping to find shelter there, but succumbed to the terrible cold. — 32°C the thermometer was reading for this day. Amen.

Their erstwhile glorious leader was coming up on the screen next. We could tell that he was not happy with his fate, looking extremely haggard, his fancy clothing bedraggled, his fat gut seemed to dwindle already. With listless movements he hustled a large flock of sheep towards a dipping run, his rustic comrades on their horses laughing about his ungainly antics when the panicky sheep suddenly rushed and nearly knocked him over. Enjoy the summer while it lasts, you bastard, and don't forget to work on your tan. It was raining heavily.

His wife was a surprise to all of us. When Alfred contacted the Peace Corps, they told him where she was employed at the moment. Alfred found her working with a large group of indigene women, apparently helping them get their washing done near a well. But she looked happy and contented and even seemed to have picked up some of their language, since we could see her talking to the others as she went about her task cheerfully. Baffled by this turn of events, we had to conclude that she at least was not beyond redemption and liked her for it.

Wilbur had, in the meantime, contacted the DA handling the case of the lusty accountant. All was not well with him. While being held awaiting trial he had suffered extensive injuries to his rear end and was presently adjusting to having to evacuate through a newly laid stoma in his left side. Wilbur had been right. The inmates did not waste any time with the prick.

We could not find the current whereabouts of the politician. Alexandra as viewed from the air looked its usual evil self with quite a few running fights taking place, the action fast, furious and vicious. We accepted that he would not have survived the initial contact and left it at that.

With both the general and the sergeant having met their untimely ends, this left only our philosopher friend for us to worry about. Needlessly, it turned out, as we found him sitting in the forecourt of the cloister, drooling spittle, his eyes staring madly into an alien world, his holy co-fathers ignoring him totally whenever they had to cross the court in the course of their obscure doings. As we watched him, marvelling over the downfall of man, some creature in a very filthy habit wordlessly stuck a tin plate with an evil-looking gruel in his hands. He did not even look up but started to grovel with his fingers, stuffing his mouth faster than he could chew and swallow. Scratch one ersatz Nietzsche.

"Please, Alfred, we have seen enough of them. Enough of everybody. It makes me sick. Will you guys believe me when I say that I am glad that at least the woman might just make it through? Surely we will have nothing to fear from her, ever," I asked them.

"You are right, Bert," Wilbur agreed. "But let's check out the building, Alfred. I sure want to see what my little toy accomplished now that the dust has settled."

Alfred complied and zoomed in over the ruins of the formerly proud building. No attempts at clearing the rubble had been made yet, the few uprights left standing a dismal sight amidst the crime-scene tapes fluttering in the wind.

"You know, guys, with that we have experienced and seen the best and the worst which can come out of your heavy matter? What bothers me very much is that it took those pathetic frauds so little effort to create so much trouble. I am more grateful than ever that I have restricted my use of your stuff voluntarily. Talk about temptation. This is not for me at all, I am much too familiar with my many shortcomings."

Alfred considered my words.

"Bert, thank God they found only a tiny opening into our game. I am certain that they did not know what heavy matter was all about. They were after ESP. That's why they started with mind bending and that's why it was so easy to take them down. Had they been patient and more scientific minded they could and surely would have destroyed us in the end. Are you satisfied, Wilbur? You did extremely well there. They have not found the slightest evidence. No heavy matter, no radiation of course and, thank God, no bodies at all. So let's close shop here and get ready to see the attorney."

However, I suddenly realised a slight problem with my new identity.

"Alfred, under which handle should I meet with him? Should I stick with my new one? What about official documentation, passport and such? I think that it might be better if I changed back to my real self. Trouble is, I don't have that passport here and there won't be any visa in it if I did."

"There you are, Alfred, multiple question time again. How are you going to solve those little problems?" Wilbur asked, shamelessly gleeful, checked his ubiquitous flask with great longing, but put it away with a deep sigh.

"Better to face the law diddler sober I suppose."

"Good for you, HiAce. We will make a man out of you yet. — Bert, I cannot foresee any problem with your present papers. You are in the country legitimately now, even if your identity is a fake. Whichever name you want to use in the future will be your choice. We shall stick to your rightful name at all times and just mention that it is a nickname, if the question ever arises. Do you agree?"

"No, I don't agree," Wilbur spoke up hotly before I could open my mouth. "This HiAce stuff has to stop too, Alfred. You did terribly wrong to stiff me with that moniker."

Alfred surrendered readily.

"Sure, Wilbur, payback is over. I think it is now safe for you to re-assume your old form if you are prepared to stay in the background of things for some time."

Peace was restored and instead of using hyper science we just got out of the building the old-fashioned way, since the lawyer's chambers were only a few blocks away.

When I remarked that the building looked very unassuming, they both had to chuckle.

"Wait till you see his office, Bert. He has dreams of greatness, that's for sure. His degree is not quite dry on the paper, but he has joined so many clubs and associations it cramps his lifestyle not a small bit. All the same, he is very smart, honest too as far as I could ascertain. It will be interesting to hear what you think of him. There we are now, fifth floor only. He will move up a couple of floors as soon as he gets the first stipend, I guess."

Alfred had been right. His rooms were sparsely but solidly furnished. A few small antique bookcases, a decent desk, serviceable chairs. He had the good sense to buy the best he could afford, stinting on numbers but not on quality.

The guy opened the door himself, no secretary to be seen. A young man of around thirty, conservative clothes covering a stubby figure, round head, sparse hair and very keen eyes, which scanned us all quickly, registering mild shock when he looked at me before he threw the door wide. And he was wearing a tie.

"Good morning, gents, come in. I have become very proficient in making coffee, it's what I do best, next to applying the law, and it is ready right now. After the introductions of course. Shame on you, Alfred, you did not tell me that you have a twin brother!"

Alfred just laughed.

"No, John, no twin brother. Meet my cousin Berthold Reger from Germany. Bert, this is John Templar."

We shook hands, told each other that first names would do and settled down for the coffee with doughnuts. Both tasted just fine, maybe his law was good too.

We did not waste much time on small talk, apart from him enquiring whether this trip to the States was my first, did I like the country and such.

"Right. I have prepared everything as per your instructions, Alfred, Wilbur. You need to read and agree to this too, Berthold. All it requires is your signatures on a few documents and we are ready to roll. I have however a suggestion to make. You to decide of course.

"Look, I am not all that good in figure work and the amounts involved here do frighten me a bit. So I recommend we use a chartered accountant from the start. Unless one of you guys wants to get involved in that? Government forms, taxes, payments, balancing? No? If you approve, he can start immediately. Said accountant should not be made an officer of the foundation but be put on retainer instead. You to decide on the amount for his troubles.

"I did jump the gun here a bit since I needed expert advice in any case. We are agreed that the sole purpose of the Blue Island Scientific Foundation is to assist and further gifted but needy students of the subjects as listed. The conditions and the selection processes have been stipulated by you and are listed here. Mercifully short and succinct. Not much work for me here."

We agreed to all he had done so far. To work out details took a bit longer. In the end we decided to split the money, all 94 million, into three accounts. One, the principal amount, for the actual grants to students, the second for stipends and other incidentals and the third, the smallest, for administration costs, taxes and so forth. All money to be invested conservatively for safe and continuous yields. It sounded very plausible. We were keen to close the transaction as quickly as possible and Alfred asked for the proposed accountant to join us for that.

"Look, Alfred, I did not know whether you guys would agree. I did not invite him. I will check to see if he is free. His office is in the building next door."

John spoke for a bit on the phone, turned around to us and told us that the chap had a client there at the moment, could we wait or should he cut short his consultation to come over immediately. He did not cover the phone when he asked us.

"No, John, that client was there first. He has a right to be afforded the best attention your friend can give him. We wait."

Surprisingly, John looked very happy to hear this.

"He will be over in about 30 minutes. Some more coffee?"

When the accountant turned up some forty minutes later, he apologised with a grin on his face.

"I am sorry you people had to wait. There was a client in my office, no scam, but I also wanted to do this little test my professor at university told us about. If you had insisted for me to come over immediately I would have done so but would have said 'no' to your offer. The professor was of the opinion, however outdated this might seem today, that someone who is not polite to his accountant does not deserve one. My name is Max Templar by the way."

We all had to smile at his frankness.

"Brothers?" Alfred asked him.

"Yes, we are. But I am also a very good accountant should you want to use my services."

Obviously a chap after our own hearts. We agreed to give him a reasonable retainer for his comprehensive services, said retainer to be reviewed after one year at the latest: 2.5% of our personal stipend, which we had fixed at 400000 $. More documents were signed and we could leave soon after, with John promising to put the papers through immediately and Max telling us to expect this year's stipends within five working days at the latest. Thereafter to be paid out on June 30 each year.

"Yours being an overseas transaction, it may take a little longer to go through, Berthold."

"No problem here, Max. We are not only polite but also patient principals. As you will find out with time. Glad to have you with us."

Some more handshakes all round and we left. Wilbur put it all together for us.

"Some crafty nepotism at work here. So what? If everybody could be a little more open and honest with everything they do, our planet would be just fine. Those two were very refreshing after the scumbags we had to deal with. The doughnuts were nice too."

We returned to Alfred's building, tidying up and securing everything before letting Alfred bump us back to the mill.

Since we had jumped to the place without switching time phases, the morning was well advanced and the girls considerate enough to serve one of their excellent brunches.

We all dug in heartily, doughnuts notwithstanding, till Lexa came up with a strange request.

"Bert, you know it's only two days to go before Christmas. I do have a wish from you, you know?"

"Speak up, Lexa. If it is within my rather limited possibilities your wish is granted already."

She had read a few things about the German way to celebrate that most hybrid of feasts and wanted to experience it at least once, real tree, real candles, Gluehwein, cookies, carols, the lot.

"No problem at all, Lexa. I did notice quite a few trees growing around here. Wilbur will oblige you to chop one down and will help with the wine too, I am sure. Sabreena looks as if she has a hundred cookie recipes already stored in her head. But there is one thing we must do before we can celebrate. There can be no real Christmas without presents on Christmas Eve. That means we will have to go shopping. But where? You guys will have to decide. I will not sing carols for you. You should not be made to suffer on this happy day. We shall shop for some electronic music."

The idea of going on a spree for presents appealed immediately. To the girls, that is. Alfred and Wilbur were more than underwhelmed but accepted being outvoted in good grace, even though I had abstained.

It was decided to drive to Culpeper the next day. This town had everything for our line of enterprise: antique shops, delis, outdoor specialists, book stores, gift shops, crafts and arts aplenty.

"Now, Bert, take Wilbur for a walk and bring back a nice tree. In fact, take Alfred too so Lexa and I can have some peace for a change. We need to plan our strategy and do a lot of baking at the same time."

I think we were all glad to get out of range of this urban domina. Wilbur grabbed his flask, an axe and a saw. Alfred admonished me for not dressing properly for the occasion. He went back in and brought me a huge pelted cap with enormous earflaps.

"Put this on, Bert, it will keep you warm even when Wilbur's flask has given out. Which it will soon if you look at him."

Wilbur had already taken the first sample of his fortifier and was adamant that a manly man needed a manly drink at all times.

"Consider the sorry state of our world, chaps. Here we are, potentially the three most powerful men on earth. And we are being told off by a couple of mere women. Not good, I tell you, not good and not to be endured on an empty stomach."

We set out towards the end of the valley once more, enjoying the silence and the company. Now was the time to pop my questions.

"Wilbur, I'm curious. How many times have you set back your clock yet, healed yourself? How old are you now? The way you are speeding through your live your body, magnificent though it is, could not take this punishment for long. Rebuilding the mill to this high standard must have taken you years."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.