Wendy - Cover

Wendy

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 10

At four o'clock Bill suddenly realised that he had not eaten since breakfast. Wendy was still dead to the world. He went to the nurses' station and told them he was going down to the hospital shop to get something to eat. While he was there he also bought himself something for later. He was back with Wendy in less than ten minutes. She had not stirred.

He ate his sandwich and drank his tea before ringing his father. He felt a little guilty at not doing so earlier.

"Dad, it's Bill. I'm sorry not to have rung you earlier but things have been a bit hectic."

"That's all right. The world hasn't come to an end here in your absence. Tell me all."

"Well, the reason I didn't come in on Tuesday was that I got engaged over the weekend."

"Did you just? That's pretty sudden. Anyone we know?"

"Not really. She's the mother of one of the girls I've had lodging with me, Wendy's mother."

"Congratulations! I hope we shall meet her soon."

"So do I but there are now complications. Wendy moved out about a month ago to live with her boyfriend. I got back home this morning to find a message on the answering machine. She sounded very frightened and was roughly cut off after just a few words. I rang Ian Davidson because I suspected she was being held against her will. He and his team found her within a couple of hours. Dad," his voice broke, " she ... she had b-been brutally whipped."

"Oh, my God!"

"Yes! I'm at the hospital with her, poor little thing, waiting for her to come round. She's been heavily sedated."

"You've told her mother."

"Yes, of course. She'll be in tomorrow morning by which time I hope that they will have covered up the wounds. I really don't want her to see them."

"I'll bet. How awful! Is there anything we can do?"

"I don't think so, Dad, thanks all the same."

"Well, don't hurry back. We'll rejig your appointments. Shout if there's anything any of us can do."

"Thanks, Dad. I will. Goodbye."

"Goodbye, Bill. I do hope she recovers quickly."

The doctor came round at six. Wendy had not come to. He examined her and pronounced himself satisfied. Further ointment was applied to her back. Bill asked when she might regain consciousness.

"Difficult to tell. She has suffered deep trauma but prolonged sleep will help that. She could wake up at any minute or stay out for several more hours. By the way, her scans showed no internal injuries."

"Thank God for that. I wonder, Doctor, would it be all right if I stayed the night so that I can comfort her when she does wake up? It's just that she asked for me when she was rescued and before she passed out. I think it would help if I was here for her when she does come to."

The doctor looked at him speculatively. "OK," he said finally. "I'll organise a bed for you."

"Thanks, Doctor."

"You're obviously very close."

"Step-daughter to be. She and a girl friend were lodging with me until she went off with the bastard that did this to her."

The doctor was as good as his word. A bed was wheeled in and made up within twenty minutes.

Bill rang Theresa after that.

"Hello, darling, I rang to say there's been no change and to hear your voice."

"Is that good or bad?"

"Good probably. The doctor says that lots of sleep will help her overcome the trauma. He also said there were no internal injuries. He's given me a bed so that I can spend the night and be there when she wakes up."

"That's pretty exceptional."

"Isn't it? I didn't have to exert any pressure either."

"You haven't told me how you discovered she was in trouble."

Bill told her the story.

"Well done you. I'd probably have run round like a headless chicken."

"No you wouldn't. What are you going to do with the dogs, my love?"

"They're going to stay with Poppy Reynolds. She's had them before and they love her."

They chatted on until suddenly Bill saw Wendy stirring. He told Theresa.

"All right, darling. I'll go. Look after my baby and sleep tight yourself. 'Bye"

Wendy was making little swimming motions with her hands. Bill gently took hold of the one nearer to him. She snatched it away.

"Wendy, my sweet, it's Bill. You're quite safe. Let me hold your hand."

Wendy let him as he kept on talking quietly to her. Her eyes opened and she stared at him. She opened her mouth but only a croak came out. Bill reached for the glass of water which had a straw in it. He held up her head and guided the straw between her lips.

"Suck up some water, sweetie."

She did so, tentatively at first but then thirstily.

"Steady, Wendy dearest. Only a little at a time. I'll give you some more in a minute."

He put the glass back on the bedside table and, gently lowering her head, took her hand again.

"Bill?"

"Yes, my sweet."

"You came for me."

"Yes, my sweet. You're safe in hospital now. I'm going to ring for the nurse to tell her you're awake."

"Don't go away."

"I'm not going to. I'm not even going to let go of your hand."

He stood up and reached for the bell beside the head of her bed. A nurse came in almost immediately.

"She's just woken up," said Bill, "and I've given her a little water. I hope that's all right."

"Quite all right."

She went round to the other side of the bed.

"Hello, Wendy. Don't move. Did you have a good sleep?"

"Yes. Why am I lying on my front?"

"Because your back is so sore. I'm going to have a look at it. All right?"

"Yes."

The nurse pulled the tent that was over Wendy back and looked at her back. "That looks fine," she said. "Are you hungry?"

"Not really."

"Good. You're being fed intravenously because you're not in any position to sit up."

"Oh!"

"I'll leave you in peace then. Just ring if you want me."

"Thanks," said Bill.

"Bill, can I have another drink?"

"Yes, of course." He helped her.

"Bill, where's Stephen?"

"Locked up at the police station."

"Good!"

She was silent and then drifted off to sleep again. Bill returned to his vigil. Later on he ate his 'supper' and then pulled his bed up against Wendy's. He stripped down to his underpants and climbed in. He reached over and found Wendy's hand. It had been a stressful day and it was not long before he fell asleep too.

The nurse looked in and went back to fetch her companion. "Aren't they sweet?" she whispered. "I wouldn't mind a man who looked after me like that."

Wendy woke again in the middle of the night.

"Bill?"

He was awake in a flash and squeezed her hand. "Yes, my sweet."

"Does Mummy know?"

"Yes. She'll be in in the morning."

"Bill?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you for everything."

"That's all right. I wouldn't want to have to do it again though."

"Nor would I," she replied forcefully and then slightly timorously, "Bill, would you snuggle with me?"

It was not easy but they shifted about, she gingerly moving to her right and he wriggling in under the tent, and succeeded. He was careful not to touch her hips where the tip of the cane had reached but he was able to lie close beside the upper part of her body with his arm round her back. He kissed her lips softly.

"Now I DO feel safe," she whispered.

They slept despite Bill not being particularly comfortable. That being so he was quickly awake when he heard the start of the morning activity. He slid out of Wendy's bed and went back to his own. Inevitably, he woke Wendy. She gave a mixture of a groan and whimper. He grasped her hand.

"I don't want to get into trouble for being in your bed," he said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.