An Odd Discovery
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2009 by Telephoneman

Christmas that year was an odd time. My parents were going to spend the holiday in France at Brian and Michelle's holiday gite. It would be the first Christmas they'd ever spent away from their home and only agreed to go because Paul and me told them to. Paul, himself, had booked a foreign holiday for just after Christmas. I was invited but pressures of work meant that I would be working right up to Christmas Eve. I also felt like being alone, not feeling up to watch couples celebrate their time together. I was now well over Amanda, but not yet ready to look for someone else, nor was I any longer interested in just casual sex.

Christmas morning I stayed in my pit until about ten o'clock, quite late for me. A long, hot shower before a festive breakfast of muesli and a couple of minutes to open the few presents my family had sent, took me up to pub opening time. I had arranged to meet Paul, my younger brother, for a Christmas drink at his local. He was going to Spain on Boxing Day with a few of his mates, so it was my only chance to see him. As usual I was early and Paul was late. Considering that the first drink was free, at least for locals, it was quite quiet and I had no trouble finding a table.

I had a look around, raising my glass and saying Merry Christmas to those I recognised. One of those was Julie or June or something like that. I knew that she came in here a lot and that one of Paul's drinking partners had introduced us once. I remembered her for having a wicked sense of humour and forever taking the proverbial from anyone in range. I like to think that I gave as good as I got that evening. She was very short with dark, almost black, hair. I seemed to recall that it too was short but I noticed it was now long enough to be in a pony tail. She was pretty enough, but nothing memorable if you discounted her sparkling eyes. I remember noticing them before and thinking that brown eyes never seemed to have the glint that lighter colours managed, but that hers certainly bucked that trend.

I waited until I caught her eye and raised my glass and called out my festive greeting. It was only then that I noticed her companion. I didn't instantly recognise her, yet there was something distinctly familiar about her. It was only when she mumbled her own greeting that I clicked, mainly from her voice. Jill's friend Bernie. My immediate thought was that it meant Julie/June might be a lesbian. Even though I had felt no original sexual attraction to her I still unfairly thought that was a waste.

A few moments later the two stood up and came and sat at my table.

"Merry Xmas thief." The local woman said with a laugh.

It was a laugh that I immediately joined in when I saw the look of horror on Bernie's face.

"Same to you pixie." I said with a grin, remembering what we had ended up calling each other the last time we'd met.

Seeing Bernie's bewilderment, I explained. "This little pixie swears blind that I stole some of her height."

Obviously knowing her friend's manner she nodded and said. "I might have known it would be something like that." She may have understood but it was clear that she didn't find it amusing or appropriate.

"Are you going to thank him then Bern?"

"Shut up June."

'Thanks Bernie, a name' I thought.

"My little sister would like to thank the thief for his gallantry."

Embarrassed, Bernie hissed. "I said shut up." She then looked at me and just about managed to say. "Thank you."

I assumed it was for the lift, but I reckoned calling it gallant was stretching it a bit.

Just then Paul turned up and said impudently. "See you are up to your old tricks. Same again Broth.?" He asked nodding towards my half-downed pint.

I nodded, smiling at his insinuation just because I was sitting with two young women.

"Ladies?" He asked nodding at their glasses.

June immediately agreed and shouted out. "G&T here and scotch and soda for Bern."

"You brother, right?" Confirmed June.

I nodded. I was just thinking of something to say when a high pitched squeal came from the bar area. All three of us instantly looked that way to see my younger brother kissing one of the barmaids who had ventured this side of the bar. When he'd let her go, her half-hearted protest, belied by the smile on her face, was answered by a grin and finger pointing at the mistletoe hanging above them. Almost everyone burst into laughter and applause. Predictably Bernie didn't, but complained about Paul taking advantage of the poor girl.

I was about to argue when I noticed a slight shake of the head by June. Then with a broad grin she turned to whisper something to her sister.

"Absolutely not!" Was the answer to the unheard question.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.