An Odd Discovery - Cover

An Odd Discovery

Copyright© 2009 by Telephoneman

Chapter 4

On a typical damp Monday, I arrived at the factory mid morning for my meeting with Mr. Thomas. I was slightly early as I hadn't calculated just how much quicker the journey was outside the rush hour.

I'd sat in reception for over thirty minutes, something that felt very strange. Jill Cope, the receptionist, an attractive and pleasant young woman, whom I knew quite well, found it difficult too as she didn't know whether she should be treating me like a visitor or a member of staff or even talking to me.

At last, Mrs. Gifford appeared and led me to the boardroom, where the meeting was to be held. To my dismay there were four directors present including Mr. Thomas. I looked around and saw three smiling faces, to each of which I nodded and the scowling one of Mark Thomas, whom I ignored.

I sat where I was invited to and put the tender folder that I had been carrying on the table in front of me. Before anyone could start the meeting Mark said angrily. "What are you doing with that? It is a confidential document and you have no right to have it in your possession."

"Calm down Mark." Ordered his father before turning to face me. "Sorry about that David, but let me thank you for attending this meeting.

"But Dad!" Whined Mark.

"Look Mark, David wrote that document so it can't really be that dangerous for him to have a copy."

I decided to take that opportunity to have my say. Any thoughts about staying on were wiped away with Mark's comments.

"Actually Mr. Thomas, I didn't write this. I brought it here to discuss it with you in private." I started.

"You can say anything in here that you would say to me in private." The company owner said, still smiling at me.

"Are you sure about that?" I asked him as I looked directly at his son.

"Yes!" He answered confidently.

"Ok! The proposal that I put together, with Amanda's assistance of course, was one that answered the client's requirements and would give us a fair chance of winning the contract. It also had an acceptable profit margin built in."

"Too much margin and no chance of winning, more like." Snorted the document's new editor.

"So it seems." I responded. "At least to some people. This proposal will almost certainly be declined."

"Rubbish. I have my sources that tell me it is the cheapest they've got so far and there's only one more to come besides ours."

"Oh I don't doubt the accuracy of that statement though I'll bet that your source has no role in the decision making. The reason why I am certain it will be declined is because you have substituted various critical components for, shall we say, those less expensive."

"Of course I have." He laughed. "I had to adjust your pessimistic approach. How do you think I got the price so low. It shows how little you know."

"Maybe." I acknowledged. "But I can read a specification document and include items that are specifically required."

I looked at Mr. Thomas. "Sir!" I started politely. "Any chance of me staying here have been removed by your son's behaviour. I still have a loyalty to this company and feel that I must say that should you submit the tender as it currently stands you will never get the chance to quote for them again for even on the off chance that it wins, the maintenance levels required will nearly bankrupt this company and cause so much down time that the client will go ballistic."

"Bullshit!" Shouted Mark. "You're just jealous because you couldn't get it right."

"Mark! That's enough!" Said his father firmly. "I assume that you have evidence to back up that statement?" He said to me no less sternly.

"All noted in the attached papers."

"Wait outside whilst we read them."

For the first time I came close to losing it. Mark's rants meant nothing to me because he was nothing to me. Mr. Thomas' order was curt and to me, insulting. By bringing it to their attention I had done more than enough and I had no intention of putting up with anything else.

"I shall be at my desk clearing out any personal items and then I shall be going home. My holiday entitlement more than covers any notice period." I said as politely as I could manage.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.