Finding Shelter
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2009 by Jay Cantrell

Carrie blushed scarlet when she realized we had an audience.

"It's not 11 p.m.," she said. "And there is no weather warning. So you better have a good reason for being home."

But she was laughing.

"I was just hoping for some kissing instruction," Kasey joked. "So it's OK if I put the guy's hands on my butt if I want them there."

"When you're Carrie's age, yes," I interjected before Carrie could answer. "Not a minute before."

"Mom called," she said. "Grandma and Grandpa got in this evening. She'll be home in a little while. She might already be there but I wasn't going home before I said good-bye."

"Do you have to go tonight?" Carrie asked. I wasn't sure if she was getting cold feet or if she really wanted Kasey to stay. I had to admit that my daughter had been a joy to be around the past couple of days.

"I probably don't have to but I'm sure you want me to," Kasey said with a small grin.

"I am perfectly fine if you're here," I said with conviction. "Sweetie, this is your house, too."

"I know, Dad," she answered. "Mom said she would call when she got in. I came back here in case she wanted me to come home tonight. Besides, it might not be 11 p.m. but it is after 10."

Carrie and I glanced at the clock simultaneously. It was a quarter after 10. Time had flown by.

"So what did you kids do tonight," Kasey asked. "Other than the floor show."

"We went ice skating," Casey answered. "Well, I went skating. Your Dad was more like the Zamboni."

I was surprised that I didn't have to explain the comment to Kasey but she got it.

"I bet," she answered. "I took him roller skating with me once. And once was all I took him. He cleaned the floor there, too. I like your outfit, Cee. It looks great on you."

Carrie beamed and pirouetted. She had a sweater on top and she looked absolutely delectable. I was wearing wet jeans and sweat shirt. I did not look delectable.

"I'm going to change out of these wet clothes," I said. "I'm pretty sure they are frozen to me."

"Call if you need help," Carrie said. Then she apologized to Kasey.

"Yeah, that is a pretty gross thought," Kasey agreed. "Old folks don't do things like that. Do you?"

I figured retreat was the safest option. My jeans were not frozen to me but my hips had already started to bruise. I was going to be sore and grouchy in the morning. I even had the start of a bruise on my elbow.

Kasey was busy on her cell phone when I hobbled down the hallway.

"Poor baby," Carrie said. "Does it hurt much?"

"Only when I laugh," I answered. "Kelly?"

Carrie nodded.

"I can come home tonight if you want," Kasey said and I swear she was growing devil horns. "I'm sure Dad and Carrie would enjoy the privacy. Okay. I guess it is pretty late. Give Mark a kiss for me and tell him Sissy misses him. I'm glad. Are Grandpa and Grandma going to be able to come up for Christmas?"

The conversation disintegrated from there.

"I'll see you in the morning, then," Kasey concluded as she hung up. "I'm supposed to ask if it is OK for me to say here."

Kasey wandered back to her room and Carrie lowered her head.

"I was so embarrassed," she said. "But I didn't want her to think I was ashamed of anything so I played it off. God, she must think I'm a slut."

"Well she was giving me the thumbs up," I replied. "So I think slut is not the word she was thinking. Catch might be the right word."

It must have been a good reply because Carrie was kissing me again when Kasey walked back in.

"Ahem," she said — as I had done a time or two when she was kissing on the couch. "Am I going to have to sit between you two?"

"Depends if you want a front row seat to me kissing your Dad," Carrie said. "I'm sort of enjoying it."

"I can tell," Kasey answered. "Just tone it down a little, OK. There are impressionable children in the room."

She sat on my other side — far away from my hips, thankfully, and we watched TV for a little while before everyone decided it was bedtime.

I slept miserably and was awakened as soon as the sun rose. Kasey and Carrie were heading out the door.

"We're going for a run, Dad," Kasey said.

"Run her ass off," I answered. "I think I left most of mine at the ice rink."

I pulled the pillow over my head but not before I heard Kasey say, "You don't want to lose your hand holds for kissing do you?"

They weren't gone near long enough for my tastes. And they were entirely too cheerful when they returned.

"Awesome," I heard Kasey say when she came in. "That is the best run I've had in six months. It's always better to run with someone. You're really in great shape."

"I run every morning," Carrie answered. "Think we can get your Dad interested in running with us."

Kasey laughed.

"Not unless someone is chasing with a shotgun," she said. "Dad is more likely to fight than to run."

"Maybe he can do tae kwon do with me," Carrie said.

"He might," Kasey answered. "He likes that sort of stuff. He always watches boxing pay-per-views."

"Really," Carrie said. "My dad loved boxing. I think that is why I started doing martial arts."

The pillow over my head wasn't working so I got up. Well, I guess more accurately, I tried to get up. The moment I tried to swing my legs over the side of the couch my entire body went into revolt.

"Ugh," was the only sound that came from my mouth.

Kasey came over and helped me sit up.

"Jesus, Dad," she said with genuine concern in voice. "Your whole arm is bruised."

"So is the rest of me, I think," I answered.

I felt Carrie lifting my shirt up in the back.

"Wow, Mike," she said. "We match."

She lifted up her shirt to show the bruising around her torso. It had been almost 10 days and the bruises were turning a nasty black.

"I think my behind is in worse shape," I said.

"But you still have all your teeth," she answered. I explained to Kasey that Carrie had to get a crown because one of her teeth was missing.

"I'm going to have a nice hot shower," I said. "If I'm not out in three days have Christmas without me."

"Do you mind if I take a quick one first," she said. "I can probably be in and out of there before you even get up."

"Take your time," I said. "I think I'll have a cup of coffee before I try to step over the side of the tub into the shower."

Kasey announced she was going to shower at her Mom's. She gathered her duffel bag and gave each of a kiss before she headed out the door.

Carrie came out wearing a robe and instructed me to hit the bathroom.

"I ran you a warm bath," she said. "Mike, I didn't realize it would be that bad. I guess I had a little more padding on my butt."

"More muscle," I said. I had noticed that Carrie had noticeable ab muscles when she lifted up her shirt.

"Let me help you get undressed and in the tub," she said. I insisted that I would be fine. Plus I didn't want her to see that my physique was less than impressive — certainly less impressive than hers.

"I'm going to see everything soon," she said. "Well, I hope it'll be soon. You might as well allow me."

As if to punctuate her point she shucked off her robe. My gulp was evident. Even with the traces of bruises around her ribs she was gorgeous.

"Off with the sweats," she said. "I'll join you in the tub if you want."

I wanted.

Surprisingly except for kissing we didn't delve much into touching. I felt much better after the hot bath. I was still sore as hell but I was mobile. And I had a long day ahead.

"I should have told you this yesterday," I said after we were dressed and sitting in the kitchen. "We'll need to go back to the mall today."

"I got everything I needed yesterday," she said.

"Well, not quite everything," I answered. "Well, maybe you did. The Chamber of Commerce Christmas Ball is tonight. Would you like to go with me?"

I saw a hint of anger flash across Carrie's face. It shocked me.

"If you don't, that's OK," I said.

"Of course I want to go with you," she said. "But you really should have told me yesterday. I need to get my hair done and pick up a dress and jewelry. It's a little short notice."

"Oh." It wasn't the best reply but it was all I had.

"How long were you married?" she asked. "You know that these things take time. Or at least you should know that by your age."

"Hey," I said. "That's hitting below the belt."

"Is Kasey free today?" she asked me as if I would know.

"Do I appear to be her social secretary?" I replied.

"Men," she said. "Can I use your cell phone?"

I nodded and she was gone to the other room. I could feel my ears burning so I had a feeling I was getting my ass chewed in absentia. A few minutes later she returned and handed me the phone.

"She wants to talk to you," she said.

"Don't start on me," I said instead of greeting her properly.

"Jesus, you're clueless," Kasey said — as if I hadn't just told her not to. I was sensing a pattern.

"OK, I'm clueless, a dolt, a moron," I supplied all the superlatives so we could get the conversation moving forward.

"How dressy is this thing?" she asked.

"How the hell would I know? I've never gone before. I just thought Carrie might like to go. If I would have known it was going to be such a big production I wouldn't have asked."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.