Who Chooses the Chosen? - Cover

Who Chooses the Chosen?

Copyright© 2009 by ObviousPseudonym

Chapter 4

It was four hours of trudging through mud, freezing at the sight of every crocodile, pausing at any possible moan, Baker falling in twice more, before they finally managed to get out of the swamp. Just like before the deserted house, all the waypoints had been destroyed.

Once out, it was another hour before they finally found a river and could have a drink and wash themselves. It was dark before they were finally clean. Knackered, wet and hungry they set up camp by a small hill. Ginger was so tired that he couldn't make a fire so for the first time in a while they made a campfire.

After a nap Harper ate and then tried to think. Sitting there in the flickering light, facing slightly away from the fire to keep his night vision and light up the pages of his journal, his back warm, Harper carried on trying to jot down ideas for what was happening and why the mission was going so badly.

While writing he kept one ear open to Jarvis talking about his kids again, and thought again about how young Baker seemed to be. Probably lied about his age to get in the army. Giving up again he put his journal away and stood up, stretching himself, before walking to the hill where Bull had the watch.

Sitting down next to him looking away from the fire, Harper quietly said 'Just like five years ago. Now that was one mission that kept getting worse and worse.'

'True. That time I lost my hand though. What'll we lose this time?' replied Bull.

'Don't know. Maybe Baker?'

Bull chuckled. 'You were just as bad five years back.'

'Maybe so, but at least I was of age. Theres no way he's seventeen.'

'I know, I know, but if we weren't here it wouldn't be so bad. And once out here we can't send him back. We need him now. Anyway, you had any bursts of intuition?'

'Not really.' Harper shrugged. 'Some stuff seems wrong but I can't really say why yet.'

Bull just nodded. 'You've got the watch for the rest of the night. I'll wake Baker on the way, get him to watch the other direction.'

With a tap to his chest Harper carried on watching into the night. As it got lighter Harper kept trying to ignore the fact that where the ooze had been plants had started wilting. And trying even harder not to wonder what it had done to his skin.

After the sun had risen Harper got up and nudged Baker awake. 'You're supposed to be on watch. Don't fall asleep next time.' Collecting a pot, he went down to the river and started a brew going.

Half an hour later, after everyone had woken and eaten, Bull leaned his head to either side, clicking his neck, before ordering loudly 'Listen up lads. The Chosen One should be across the swamp today, so we're going to travel up the edge of the swamp and meet them. Re-string your crossbows and be ready in 10 minutes while I have a piss.' Lifting his mace he stood up.

'Hey, Sarge, ' asked Baker as he picked up his crossbow, 'how are we going to find the others?'

'Thats easy, ' replied Bull, walking over to the bushes, 'we just follow the sound of singing.'


It was late afternoon before they found the main party. The Fist went too far the first time and the party was unusually quiet. They had obviously been there for some hours, and had managed to mess up the camp by washing upstream of it.

There was a somber mood to the camp, like a group waiting for a funeral. Rain was falling softly, and a cold breeze was blowing. Expecting to see someone missing, Harper was surprised that everyone was there with no more injuries. Staying back a bit, Bull sent Jarvis in to find out what was happening. The rest of the Fist moved to a small grove of trees for cover, with Ginger starting to boil up some rations and brew tea.

The other Fist sent out a messenger themselves, and as Jarvis and him met they grasped each others forearms and nodded. Harper recognised him from a distance as Miller. After a short conversation they both started back towards the trees holding the Fist.

'Good to see you guys' started Miller. 'Weren't sure if you were still alive.'

'You too' replied Bull. 'Now, whats the situation?'

'Not good' said Miller as he shook his head ruefully. 'Theres been a hitch. We had a completely quiet passage through the swamp. Didn't even see a crocodile.'

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.