By Chance
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

In fact, further cats were put among further pigeons. On Saturday Sheila rang Fiona ostensibly to confirm that Tessa had got through her interview successfully.

"Your Hank seems a nice man," she said.

"He's not mine," said Fiona defensively, "but yes, he is a nice man and I'm very, very grateful for what he's done for the children."

"You say you met him on the internet; one of the dating things?"

"Yes."

"So you're ready to marry again."

"I thought I was but I've been getting cold feet."

"Why?"

"Because of the children chiefly, whether they're ready."

"They seemed to like him well enough."

"Yes but that was the first time they met him."

"Do you think they might actually be missing a father figure?"

"I don't know. We had a bit of a charade yesterday evening."

"Go on."

"Tessa asked me whether I was in love with him and I said I wasn't because I hadn't known him long enough. She asked how long it had taken with Jeremy, three weeks or three months, and I said more like three months. She said 'I hope it's less than three months this time. Don't you agree, Nigel?' and he did."

Sheila chuckled. "Well then!"

"But they've still only met him once."

"Children can be very perceptive."

"Are you pushing me, Sheila?"

"Ever so very slightly for both of you. I could see yesterday that the chemistry was there."

"Oh Lord! Sheila, I could leap into bed with him almost without a second thought but I want to be sure that that isn't all that he wants."

"Would he have gone through all he has for you if that was his aim."

"Could be. It hasn't cost him anything."

"Wow! I never thought you were that calculating."

"I'm not really. I really, really am not. It's just that Jeremy and I had something very special. I know I can never repeat that but I still want something pretty special. I have a strong feeling that Hank could be but somehow I've got to be sure."

"So how are you going to find out?"

"I don't know," Fiona wailed.

"Well get thinking, girl. If I read things right he's dotty about you but if you go on putting him off much longer he'll ditch you because he can't bear the suspense."

"Oh, Sheila!" Another wail.

"Think, Fiona." The telephone went down.

To start with Fiona did not think at all. She fumed. First of all the children had leant on her and then Sheila. It was none of their business. Her feelings were the ones in question. Theirs were secondary. It was for her to decide whether she was going to marry Hank and no one else. She was not going to be rushed into it either.

When she had calmed down she began to consider how she really did feel about him. There was no doubt she really did like him very much indeed. He was kind, gentle, amusing and definitely attractive. He had initiative and drive but that was hardly surprising seeing that he had made brigadier. When she was with him or talking to him on the telephone she felt keyed up and buoyant. There were times when they were apart that she longed for an excuse to talk to him. So what was missing? It was not merely a physical attraction although that was certainly strong. Was she being strung along by gratitude? She was really no further on.

Next she wondered about his feelings for her. He had called her 'my love' but that could just be a careless slip, a phrase he used with people he was comfortable with. Then he mentioned his nag which indicated that he was not entirely ready either. Possibly he was just trying to reassure her he was not going to rush her. What did that plan about how she could show her gratitude mean? If he thought for one minute that she was going to go to bed with him as a way of saying thank you he had another think coming. She could not believe though that he would ever dream up a plan like that and, her having smacked Sheila down, his kindness and his help to her and the children was much more than that of a man looking for an easy lay. On top of that he was now offering to store their furniture. He was a good man and a very genuine one. Was she frightened that she would not be able to live up to his high standards? She did not think so and he would never demand them as such.

All these thoughts churned round in her head throughout the day and she was no clearer on the way ahead by the time she went to bed. She was going to see him on Tuesday though and she hugged herself in happy anticipation.

There had been a large branch on a chestnut tree that overhung the tennis court so that the grass grew less well there and it was nearly always in the shade. Hank decided he had put off lopping it for long enough. He did not want to send Norman fifteen feet up in to the tree armed with a chainsaw. That was a recipe for disaster. He had him along though to provide him with backup at ground level.

First of all he crawled out along the branch and attached a rope so that they could pull it down if it became caught in other branches. Hank then positioned himself on a neighbouring branch so that the branch he was cutting could not fall on him. It took barely five minutes to saw through and the branch swung slightly away from him but was still supported by other ones as Hank had suspected might happen. Norman did not wait for instructions but enthusiastically gave a heave on the rope. The branch pivoted about where it was caught. The base swung up and towards Hank. It hit him in the mouth. He dropped the chain saw and tried to save himself from falling to no avail. He fell backwards. Another branch broke his fall and knocked him unconscious. He fell from branch to branch dropping the final eight feet to the ground. In horror, Norman let go of the rope and the branch, disentangling itself fell across Hank's lower legs pinning him to the ground.

Norman did the best thing he could have done. He did not rush immediately to Hank's aid but ran for the office.

"Ring for an ambulance. The brigadier's been hurt bad," he gasped to the secretary.

"Where?"

"Tennis court. Tell Mr Winston. I'm going to get Nurse."

He tore off again to the sick room where he found Barbara.

"Brigadier's fallen out of the tree by the tennis court. Knocked hisself out and 'e's bleeding bad from the mouth," he gasped.

Barbara went white with horror but her training upheld her. "Grab a couple of blankets off the bed," she ordered. She seized her first aid kit and ran as fast as she could to Hank with Norman following behind.

Arthur arrived almost at the same time.

"Well done, Barbara," he said. "I won't interfere but we need to get that branch off him before the ambulance arrives."

He noted the rope with satisfaction.

"Norman," he ordered. "Go and get the tractor."

Other members of staff were arriving by this time including Charlie Chittenden. Arthur called him over.

"Charlie, we need to get that branch off Hank. Norman's gone for the tractor. Do you reckon you can get that rope over the branch above Hank.

Charlie noticed the ladder still leaning against the tree. "Easy," he said.

They had the rope over the branch and securely tied to the branch lying across Hank's legs when the tractor arrived. They attached the free end of the rope to the tractor's tow hook and Norman was told to slowly drive forward. Once the branch was in the air Arthur and Charlie turned it through ninety degrees before Norman lowered it slowly to the ground beside Hank.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.