By Chance
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Life did get back to normal. Anthea did not revert but actually showed greater responsiveness to the bachelor masters. Her behaviour towards Hank was as though nothing had ever happened. He was immeasurably grateful and responded with warmth and his normal friendliness.

Due to his frenetic activity during the six months after Anne had died, the school was in a good physical state and he was able to offer some time coaching games. He had always been a good but not outstanding sportsman and the army had nurtured his ability to train people. He had always enjoyed bringing on the young men and women under his command and he found doing this with children even more rewarding. Rugger and cricket were his strong points so it was those games in the Easter and Summer Terms and then hockey with both girls and boys in the Autumn Term. He loved it. It also gave him an excuse to work late and avoid lonely evenings at home.

When Anne was alive they had become popular in the village as well as at the school and with her death people did not desert him. He was invited to dinner somewhere about three times a fortnight whether it was school or village hosts. There were often unattached women present but none of his hosts ever pushed them at him. Some he found amusing and attractive but not one merited further interest. He had not developed a strong enough need for permanent companionship despite missing Anne's badly but that was because they had been completely in tune with each other.

Barbara Edson was the school nurse. She was a small woman in her mid-forties, fit as a fiddle, full of bounce and pretty with a snub nose, turned up lips and brilliant, smiling, blue eyes. She was a very good nurse too: gentle and compassionate but none of the children ever managed to pull the wool over her eyes. They loved her. In addition to her standard nursing training she was also a qualified child psychologist and a very good one at that. There was nothing namby-pamby or politically correct about her but she listened sympathetically and the children listened to her and responded. The Winstons trusted her judgement implicitly.

She was a widow and childless. Her husband had died of a heart attack at the age of forty-five. To her great sadness she had been the one who was infertile. She had been alone for five years at the time Anne was killed and she had every sympathy for Hank. She knew though that he would maintain a stiff upper lip and so did no more than offer her condolences and say that she was always available if he wanted professional advice. Of course, as she surmised, he never did.

Being single she seldom entertained but shortly after the anniversary of Anne's death, not that that entered her mind, she decided to throw a small dinner party. She invited five people one of whom was Hank to even up the sexes. It was a pleasant evening. Barbara had prepared some delicious food and, cleverly, it needed no last minute attention so that she was able to devote herself to her guests. Her bubbly personality soon had everyone else in the same mood and there was much laughter. Without thinking about it other than to be a help, Hank stayed to the end in order to help her clear up. It was much appreciated and they nattered away happily as they cleared the table, loaded the dishwasher and did such washing-up as was necessary.

"Thank you, Hank. That was very kind and thoughtful of you. You can have a fun evening but then clearing up on your own rather dampens it. It's even worse if you leave it till the morning and have to wake up to it."

Hank nodded. "I agree entirely and that was a fun evening. It would have been a pity to spoil it. You are an excellent hostess and deserved a bit of help afterwards."

She smiled warmly. "And you deserve a drink for your efforts. I think I've got some Armagnac at the back of the cupboard." She got down on her hands and knees and ferreted about quite unfussed that she was sticking her bottom in the air. "Got it," she said triumphantly emerging with a lock of hair hanging over one eye. She brushed it back carelessly. "What are you grinning about?"

Hank chuckled. "I overcame the temptation to give you a smack on the bottom that was so invitingly displayed."

Barbara blushed slightly and then laughed heartily. "Ever the gentleman," she said. "Sorry, Hank, I wasn't thinking. At least I don't have to bend over to get the glasses." She reached two down from the shelf and poured two liberal tots.

"There!" she said. "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

They both laughed.

They sat on the sofa, she with her legs drawn up beside her. There was nothing provocative about her posture. Her skirt covered her calves.

"Tell me," she said, "did the army send you to lots of exciting places?"

"It did to start with."

"Where?"

"Christmas Island was the first. They asked us for our first posting preferences and I said 'Far East and work backwards' so they sent me virtually to the International Date Line."

Barbara laughed delightedly and then said, "That's where they did the atom bomb tests. Did you see one?"

"No. The last one was the previous September and I didn't get out there until June."

"What was it like?"

"Flat but there was good swimming and water skiing in the lagoon. Birds too. It was a seabird sanctuary. I was fascinated."

"Women?"

"Two, both WRVS (Women's Royal Volunteer Service) and selected, I suspect, for their singular unattractiveness."

Barbara chuckled. "Didn't they become attractive after a while?"

"Actually a group of officers did institute a patrol after they complained of a Peeping Tom but I'm not sure that wasn't wishful thinking on their behalf."

"How long were you out there?"

"Best part of six months."

"Didn't you miss female company?"

"Not really. It was all so new and exciting and I had a semi-girlfriend who I wrote to."

"Didn't you miss her?"

"Not much. As I said, semi. We'd kissed pretty passionately but I was desperately innocent and highly principled."

"What a target!"

Hank snorted. "No," he smiled. "I had a met a nurse who taught me a little but she was so bored with my lack of expertise that she dropped me almost immediately. Seriously, it didn't worry me, but, looking back on it, it must have been unpleasant for the married guys or those who were engaged or had serious girlfriends. A year's a long time. Nowadays, unaccompanied tours are largely only four months, and I found my tour in Northern Ireland difficult, especially as I could telephone Anne once a week."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.