Jack and Diane
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2009 by torchthebitch

I had four people to interview before I got to Zoe. When she walked through the door she was rather surprised to find me as the interviewer. I had discovered from her application that she had a Degree in Social science but with credits in business administration. I went through the script and her answers were pretty much the same as the previous applicants until I got to the last two questions.

"Why do you think you will be suited to this job?"

"I have an extensive knowledge of management systems and personnel management in difficult situations. Additionally I have wide experience of dealing with the public face to face. I will be able to create rotas to ensure coverage throughout your opening hours and deal with staff and clients in a professional and diplomatic manner.

"Have you any additional information you would like to give me in support of your application?"

"Well, as you know I am currently working for social services. I am looking for a new opportunity with potential to develop. I think this venture could be the first of a chain of women's gyms in the area and I would like the chance to be in at the start of the project. That, and I want to get out from below the dead hand of local government."

"Well thank you for coming today Ms Aristedes. I'm sure we'll be in touch.

The next interviewee was Jenny Henshaw. Her C.V. revealed a number of jobs in general management posts around various places that just happened to coincide with naval bases. Although she did not have a degree, she had various certificates and diplomas in computer skills and business studies. They also seemed to be from colleges in the same places. I theorised that she had taken them to fill her time while Jimmy was at sea. I also noted that she had three children, all at secondary school.

The interview was pretty much a carbon copy of the preceeding one, again until the last two questions.

"Why do you think you will be suited to this job?"

"I am able to provide flexibility in working hours both in the evenings and weekends. I have a lot of experience of dealing with the public, and I am familiar with a number of computer applications."

"Have you any additional information you would like to give me in support of your application?"

"I will not be adding to my family." She looked directly at me as she said it.

I had one more interview after that, and then I discussed the applicants with the recruiter from the agency. We concluded that of the seven, only three really came up to the mark. They were Zoe, Jenny, and a woman called Sandra Fitzpatrick. That left me one person short, but I thought with the three I could get the systems up and running and continue the search for a fourth person. We agreed that the job offers would go out on Monday.


I phoned Jimmy Henshaw.

"Jimmy, Jack Winters. Is your wife called Jenny by any chance?"

"Yes, boss. Are you by any chance the Mr Winters interviewing for staff for a new gym?"

"Yes, I am. Is she there?"

"No, she's away to collect the eldest from rugby."

"Well you can tell her she's got the job if she wants it."

"Thank you very much. She's going to wonder how I know. I suppose I'll have to tell her who Mr Winters is. I don't think she made the association. She only met you once I think, after my accident. And you looked like shit."

"Thanks for that. Look, I've decided to get out on the scene, now I'm officially single. I'm meeting a few friends in the White Hart in town next Friday. There's a band and a small dance floor. It might be a chance for me to get to know my new staff. Fancy coming?"

"Thanks, I would. We haven't got out much lately. And that is my free weekend."

"Would Sam Willis be interested. I suggested we might meet in a more amenable situation."

"I'm sure he would. He's a pretty good guy. You'd like him. I'll ask him. I take it it's OK if he brings his wife?"

"Naturally."

"See you then, then."

"Dead on, Jack. See you then."


All three job offers were accepted. I thought since Jenny was going to be there on Friday night, it might be an idea to invite Zoe and Sandra and their partners.

Diane picked up the children for the weekend, and I called a taxi. Naturally I was first there, a penalty of military training. Since the next to arrive was Sandra and her husband, Quon. I reverted to my best cocktail party mode, quickly discovering Quon was Hong Kong Chinese, since I had been there on a deep sea cruise, I had something I was able talk to him about. Jimmy arrived next with Jenny and Sam and his wife, Bryony. Since Jimmy had been crew on the same trip, he was able to talk to Quon while I got to know the ladies.

Gradually everyone arrived, including a number of old friends who had been invited by David and Milla. We filled quite a bit of the bar but there were plenty of others there too. Most of the clientele were in their very late twenties to mid fourties. And there were quite a few groups of women. The band played a few sets and I danced with most of the women in our group. The drink flowed and we were all having a good time when the lead singer announced an open mike, for anyone who fancied singing. There was the usual couple of drunks giving off key renditions of "Hound-dog" or "My Way".

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.