Jack and Diane - Cover

Jack and Diane

Copyright© 2009 by torchthebitch

Chapter 14

"Would you mind explaining what went on there?" I asked, somewhat bewildered.

"I think it's safe to say, my dearest chap, that once the dust has settled, you are gratis and transparent."

"He means free and clear," said Milla. "I wouldn't quite go that far, but I think we are looking at the endgame."

"Shame you have to go look after the old ankle-biters, Chilly, old boy, I rather feel that this deserves a few more than enough, and a decent bit of scoff to go with them." David did not share Milla's reserve. The fact that he had also reverted to one of their childhood nicknames for me only served to demonstrate his relief at how things had gone.

"I'll have the notes typed up first thing in the morning, Ms Fielding," said Alison.

"Thank you, Ali, I'll see you in the morning."

As Alison left, a rather contrite Diane approached, the convivial air, chilled.

"Jack?" she asked softly, "can I have a moment, please?"

I did not need any guidance from his friends; I nodded my assent.

"I think I should talk to you about some things, clear the air, so to speak? Perhaps we could go for a drink or meal or something?"

Ever the gentleman, I could do no less than agree, "I think perhaps the children need some reassurance. Maybe if you came and had dinner with us this evening then you and I can talk afterwards."

Milla and David smiled at each other. Jack was going to be fine.


That evening Diane and I shared a meal with Harry and Georgie. Georgie was still taciturn around her mother but Harry was his father's son and knew this was a time to make an effort.

Once the table was cleared and the dishes washed, the children settled down to finish their homework before relaxing in front of the TV. Georgie did not want to go to bed but Harry coaxed her and promptly announced he was tired and was going to play his Playstation in his room before going to bed.

Diane took a deep breath and launched straight in to what she had to say. "I am so sorry for what I have put you through Jack. I have got everything wrong. No, don't interrupt I need to get this out while it is still straight in my head. I didn't realise what I had in you. I have thrown away the best thing I will ever have. I thought I knew you, but I didn't. I should have known you were not going to roll over and let me take everything, but I mistook your grace for lack of resolve. You showed me I had misread you."

"I'm sorry to say I misread you too."

"I've been completely selfish, I always have been really. It was when I realised how my selfishness very nearly had our children taken into care that I came to my senses. I was angry that you didn't just settle for what I decided you should settle for. I really should have known you would stand up for yourself. You have never settled for less than what was yours, and never demanded more than your due. I understand that now."

"So where do you go from here, Diane?"

"Ha," she laughed humourlessly, "Where does Diane go? Not, where do we go? You know where you are going and I will have no part in it, sure I won't? Well, when I started working in the boutique I was good at it and I thought I had potential to develop it. I thought if I could get a share in the business I could make something for myself. I thought if I divorced you I could buy in with the settlement. I didn't realise you were thinking along the same lines and had already bought a share for me. I suppose it was going to be an anniversary present?"

I nodded.

"I really fucked up there, didn't I," she said bitterly. " I so nearly had everything and instead of talking to you I chose selfishness."

"Recrimination isn't helping, Diane. Every time I try to get on with my life your vindictiveness screws it up on me. It's time you moved on and let the kids and me move on too."

"I'll put it right, Jack, I promise. I'll go to the police and withdraw my complaint, and sort it all out. You've really been more than fair in the settlement and access. I'll put things right with my babies too. Can I start coming round in the evenings again?"

"I think we'll just put that on the long finger for the moment, Diane."

"I deserved that. I think maybe I should go. Can I look in on the kids before I go?"

"I think you should."

Diane spoke to both the children separately. Despite her earlier protestations Georgie welcomed her Mum, Harry initially listened politely and as she was leaving, hugged her tightly and said, "You did it all wrong Mum but I still love you." Diane broke down.


She thought back to her reaction when Jack had left the house after she presented her ultimatum. Maybe the emotion lacking in their marriage was not Jack's but hers. Too late to find out now.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.