Jack and Diane - Cover

Jack and Diane

Copyright© 2009 by torchthebitch

Chapter 13

Milla got David and me to her office as quickly as possible to prepare her plan of attack. "We can't be sure of their approach to this but there are a couple of issues we will have to deal with; namely, the alleged assault, and Jack's arrest. However, having spoken to the police this morning, I don't think the arrest is going to be a problem."

"Diane may be more of a problem, if she sticks to her story," I contributed, morosely.

"Yes, and we don't want to let her know too much about our defence. But again I don't see that as being a problem. All we have to do is focus everything on the children's well-being," said David.

They thrashed through all the obstacles they foresaw, and finally Milla said, "Right, I think we are on top of everything, just remember Jack, you say absolutely nothing unless David or I tell you to."

"Ok, the Big Four then."

"The what... ?"

"Name, rank, number, and date of birth."

"Oh, fun-nee! I'll just give Alison a shout, she'll take notes for us."

The foursome arrived at the offices of the Social Services, and they were directed to a conference room. It was clear that no expense had been spent on office furniture.

"At least they aren't wasting ratepayers money on creature comforts," said Jack.

"Certainly not down here where the work is done," they turned to see a rather harassed looking woman of about their own age. Dressed in a dark top, loose fitting slacks and flat sensible shoes she looked every inch the overworked, underpaid, uncredited functionary who made local government achieve anything. "If I had what they spent on refurbishing the directors offices, I could have three more case workers, I'm Zoe Aristedes, how do you do?" she offered her hand.

"I'm Camilla Fielding, we spoke earlier," said Milla taking the proffered greeting. This is Mr Jack Winters, my client, Mr David Cavendish, my colleague, and Ms Alison Williams, my PA. She'll be taking notes for us."

"Oh I'd love to have someone who could take notes. I have to settle for using a Dictaphone and sometimes it is difficult to make out what is said. You don't mind, do you?"

Just at that, Diane and Alan Davies, her solicitor and David's partner, came in along with Inspector Willis. Diane had a hunted look in her eyes. "What's going on, Jack? Why are we here?" she almost pleaded.

"You should know Diane. You set the whole train in motion, this is your wreck."

"Jack!" Milla cautioned.

"Hullo again, Mr Winters," said Inspector Willis.

"Hello Inspector, nice to see you again, maybe someday it won't be in an official capacity."

"Thanks for that," he grinned.

Once everyone was seated Zoe Aristedes opened, "Well, Ms Fielding, this is as much your meeting as mine so perhaps you would like to start?"

"Thank you. Why is your department investigating the Winters family and threatening to take the children into care."

"YOU'RE WHAT?" shrieked Diane, "Jack what is going on?" She was becoming extremely agitated, "Alan, what is this all about?"

"That's what we're here to find out. It seems to be something to do with Mr Winters' arrest on domestic violence charges. Is that correct Ms Aristedes?"

Diane paled and gasped. She looked at me. My look was an interplay between resigned disgust, anger and contempt. She blushed and looked ashamed. I think she realised that her actions had turned all the love and esteem in which I once held her had turned to scorn.

Zoe noted the unspoken interchange. Along with the initial report from the field workers and the legal representation, she formed a shrewd idea of what had happened. "Our department received a phone call from Const. Graham yesterday morning. She informed us that she had been called out to a report of domestic violence. When she had got there she had to arrest Mr Winters who had not informed her and her colleague of the presence of the children. As a result they..." I snorted. Milla rested her hand on my arm to restrain me.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.