Battlemage Nonetheless: Book 1 - Displacement - Cover

Battlemage Nonetheless: Book 1 - Displacement

Copyright© 2009 by Risq

Chapter 16

After making their way to the address in question they noticed that there was a light coming from what looked to be a cellar door. As they opened the door they saw there was a lantern lit by the door but the others close by it were out. But a few feet after those the rest were lit again.

Marie said she was going first, and they followed her down a narrow passageway that seemed to go down for about two stories then leveled out.

As they leveled out they realized that they were headed to a room that had the door partially closed, but light was coming from it.

Marie opened the door and she then saw Nancy lying slumped in a cage at the far side of the room. She stopped everyone from rushing in as she looked around the room and noticed all the magical equipment and the magic circle on the floor.

Everyone spread out so they wouldn't be grouped together if there was an attack.

As Lori looked on she seemed shocked at what was in the room.

Suddenly the door behind them slammed shut and when Rachel went to touch it she felt the heat radiating from the iron dead bolt before she put her hands on it, and realized it was sealed with magic.

She backed away from it with wide eyes and turned to look at the others.

"WELCOME YOU BUFFOONS! YOU HAVE CAUSED ME A LOT OF PROBLEMS! WELCOME TO YOUR DEATH!" said the loud booming voice of a man from the far side of the room.

The man was wearing a flat black hood and cloak to hide his face. He was standing in front of an open doorway that had no lights on in the room behind him.

They hadn't noticed him at first because of the all black he was wearing and he hadn't moved when they entered. But now that they were all inside he had stepped inside the room.

As the women stood there staring at the hooded figure waiting for his attack, or at the very least his request for the medallion, Dusty crossed his arms and stared at him for a minute.

"So how long are you going to keep this up Carmichael?" asked Dusty suddenly.

As the women turned to stare at Dusty, Dusty kept on looking at the figure without moving.

Finally the figure laughed and pulled back his hood.

"Ok rube, how did you know who it was? I didn't give off any clues to tell anyone it was me," smiled Dr. Carmichael evilly.

"No, you did slip up. Twice even," smiled Dusty. He just watched Carmichael.

"Humor and tell me what I did wrong," asked Dr. Carmichael.

"Well for one if you think about it, no one but the guards were killed. And only one person knew who got which rooms. Even Dr. White was surprised when he came to my room that first time the wall was destroyed. He had no idea who was where. You had to tell him you assigned me that room

"But if you had been as smart as you thought you would have had a few random people attacked as well. Seeing as we had to clean our own rooms and meals were in the cafeteria, no one else had a reason to visit us. But when you singled out only guards you gave me a clue as to who you were," smiled Dusty.

"Ahh, I see. That was a purely novice mistake and one that was quite obvious now that you point it out. Ok what was the second clue?" asked Dr. Carmichael.

The women were still staring at Dusty. He figured all this out with so little information?

"When you came into the room the night of the attack you said you were glad that Steven was ok. How did you know that?" asked Dusty as he smiled big. "We didn't know he wasn't attacked till the following morning when he came back. The only one we knew for sure was Russell. I was surprised that you would mention anyone as being safe before we knew who was attacked, but you did."

"Ahh, I got caught by a slip of the tongue huh?" asked Dr. Carmichael looking at Dusty.

"Besides someone would need to get Nancy outside of the museum. But to do it undetected, it needed to be someone she trusted to lure her outside of the museum grounds. Otherwise they would need to carry her off. Since no one reported seeing that happen, it would seem that she was coming and going as she pleased around the grounds, in which case no one would have noticed her leave," smiled Dusty even further.

"I see I totally underestimated you. I'm glad I already planned to kill you. No one was supposed to ever see these wolves and live. And I was going to kill you all because of your interfering with my plans, but now I'm glad I did because you're too smart for your own good," smiled Dr. Carmichael. His smile now had a cold edge to it.

"Well before you kill me could you tell me why you did it?" asked Dusty he needed to keep him talking until he could figure out a way to save them.

"Sure rube. It's because these artifacts go for a lot on the black market. But I got greedy and took too much at once and it caused us to no longer get shipments in. But this was the score I was waiting for. I'll take the medallion and sell it. Then I'll be set. I'll just retire from here in a year and I'll be set for life," smiled Dr. Carmichael.

"So what's to stop us from killing you and taking Nancy back to her father?" asked Marie slowly waving her staff around.

"Well for one thing have you tried to move since I started talking?" asked Dr. Carmichael.

At that they all tried to move their feet and found them stuck to the floor.

"One of the first spells I learned. See one of the benefits to my job is I can get my hands on all kinds of books, and I can just say it's because I'm researching them and no one stops me. That way I was able to teach myself magic under the guilds nose," smiled Dr. Carmichael.

"What? I find that hard to believe!" said Lori incredulously.

She knew even out in the boondocks where she grew up the mage's guild still kept an eye on everyone. No one would be beneath their notice!

"No really. If they think you are just researching and have no skill they don't check on you. Well if you're high enough with very noticeable credentials behind you as well. I mean I'm one of the top researchers in the world!" smiled Carmichael. "There are people of power that even they aren't aware of."

"So what's to stop Lori from killing you from where she is?" asked Dusty as he smiled suddenly. He was still bluffing for time.

"Well for one I know she's only a blue mage so defensive abilities are more her strong suit. But even if I'm wrong, did you notice the magic circle in the floor? One thing I learned in an old obscure book was how to create it to leech power from people. Once you step on it, until you leave it, it will drain your power. And I've been leeching power from you since you entered. Try it if you don't believe me," said Dr. Carmichael.

As he said that Lori tried to hit him with a fire ball. She then tried to create a ward. She in desperation then tried to create a protection barrier. Nothing worked for her. For the first time Lori was getting scared that she didn't have something to fall back on.

Meanwhile Dusty tried to create a fireball as well. And even though his hands glowed nothing else happened. So much for the bluff he thought.

"See fools! You're in my power now," said Dr. Carmichael waving his arms.

And as he did 5 flame wolves came in to the room from the door behind him.

"Wait, how are you casting the magic for those wolves if this circle leeches power?" asked Dusty.

"I precast them as well as the hold person spell on you now from the other room. Then the wolves were waiting for me to call them. Precast spells aren't affected by this room," smiled Dr. Carmichael.

"Oh," mumbled Dusty. He thought he found a loophole for them.

"The last thing we need to do is tie up some loose ends and it all will be finished. Take off those charms your mage made for you," stated Dr. Carmichael simply.

"Ok, humor me why would I do that?" asked Dusty now smiling.

"The reason is simple. The girl here is just drugged and unconscious. I plan to find her after leaving myself some clues back in my office. And when I return here I plan to find your dismembered bodies and I'll be a hero. But if you don't do as I ask then I'll just kill her and disappear into the night. Something tells me you're too soft hearted to let her die like that," smiled Dr. Carmichael evilly.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.