Overwatch - Cover

Overwatch

Copyright© 2009 by torchthebitch

Chapter 9

The rest of the weekend went slowly. Stag on, stag off. I always seemed to be on rest when they went in or out. I never got a chance to see if I recognised Jean or not. The guys knew her and they said it wasn't her but I couldn't shake the idea that they were only saying it to put me at ease. In fact at one shift change, when I was bringing up the tea I heard Derek ask Nobby and Tom if they thought it was Jean. They told him they couldn't be sure. She was just too far away, and wasn't facing us for long enough for a positive I.D. I pretended I hadn't heard.

They left mid afternoon on Sunday. The rest of our company was relieved at 16.00hrs. We would have to wait till dark before we could withdraw. Then we would have to tab to the pick-up point. We were lifted by a three team multiple. One of the Land Rovers had only a driver so there was enough room for us and all our kit. We were taken back to K Coy's location and given a hot meal. They looked after us really well. Steak, chips, onions and mushrooms, followed by trifle and ice-cream. Our own Bn. wouldn't have done as much. The chef said they did this type of op often enough and the army owed us. That made a change. We were usually fucked off at the high port without anything. We cleaned and returned all the kit we had signed out. The storeman said he would have cleaned it in the morning but we took a bit of pride in doing the job right.

We were debriefed and handed in our patrol report. The company commander turned in and thanked us. Then he told us we could get our heads down in the Q.R.F. room. We would be heli'd out at 06.00 in the morning. In the meantime the company bar was open and the first drink was on him.

I was busting to get home to find out where I stood, but I took it on the chin. We were able to lock our gear in the Q.R.F. room and went to the bar. We got a table for both our teams but the 3 U.D.R. boys wouldn't let us buy, and every time we finished a round, another was set up for us. They were great company and I didn't notice that there was always someone from our crew with me all the time. I didn't realise either that they were making sure I didn't have time to brood. The crack, as they say, was ninety. Jokes and war stories were flying. Every so often something would come on the music system that would have everyone singing. It was just one of those nights that lives forever.

Now as any man knows, the wee ones hold nothing. After my second pint I had to break the seal. Then I was in and out to the bog after every pint. It was during one of these trips that I saw the two corporals, Big Derek and Jonty, standing in the shadows behind the silver cabinet. They were talking low, and when they saw me they seemed to change the subject because I heard Jonty clearly talking about the company commander turning in so late on a Sunday to thank us. Derek agreed it was a compliment. I went to the loo and rejoined the party. Derek approached me and took me outside.

"Cpl Johnston was asking me about the Ford. The guys recognised it and thought the woman looked like Jean."

"Was it her."

"They're not sure Drew. They didn't get a clear view of her. I'm sorry we can't settle it one way or another."

"Everyone knows anyway."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.