Home
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2009 by Yoron

The Colonel had been right. He got his orders the next day, losing no time, he detached a unit to take his guests to Lakhar.

"You must excuse my hospitality, Sires." He said to Avery and D'am. "The high Lord seems to be in a hurry."

Avery nodded. "Well, colonel, so far we have nothing to complain about. We too would like to see him."

D'am's eyes seemed to pierce the colonel's suave appearance, as he muttered. "So, colonel, can I take it as we are allowed our arms again, then?"

"Ah, yes, your arms. Naturally, my lord."

"Good."

They left soon after their breakfast, riding with the troop. The morning was quite cold with a promise of snow lingering in the air. D'am and Avery were riding together discussing what they could expect.

"Wonder if that old reprobate is there." Said D'am.

"Reprobate?"

"Yes, Mountie. You know, Winds over mountain."

Avery wondered too. Mountie would be a good help, but as he had understood it the Avian had gone to Trellheim first. 'There had been some business with Roland that he had set out to solve, wasn't it?' He looked thoughtfully up at the blue clear sky.

"A nice day D'am, wasn't there something Mountie wanted to check on before coming to Lokgard. Something with Roland, was it?"

"Yes, lad, there was. But after all, he's an Avian. I'm sure he will show up. That old miscreant wouldn't want to miss this."

The journey took them most of three days, and it wasn't until at early noon the third day they came up from the valley to get their first look at Lakhar perched on a cliff. It was a nothing Avery had seen before. The castle looked impossibly slim from the distance. The spires, you couldn't call it towers, as they were so thin, stretched up forever, almost touching the very clouds. It wasn't until they had ridden a bit further Avery realized how vast the castle was in reality.

"I wish Mari was here to see it." He said wistfully. "She would have loved it."

"How old is it?" Asked F'am, looking at the corporal leading their little expedition.

"It's old." Answered the corporal. "It was here a long time before we Avians came to rule. It is said to be magically preserved, and made of all kind of strange and wondrous metals. I don't know, it is true that it seems to change very slowly, no matter the years passing."

"Incredible." Said D'am enthusiastically. "A true dwarfen treasure. It will keep us dwarves happy for a long time. I'm already looking forward to examining it."

As they at last arrived, the castle had grown to immense proportions, dwarfing them in its combination of dull grey massiveness, and slender pillars and spires stretching weightlessly for the sky. As they rode in through its massive portal, finding themselves under an array of arches or bridges, possibly Avery had to admit to finally finding something contending the grandeur of his Emperors palace.


As Mari woke up, she found herself under some sort of green and black fabric shielding her from the sun, with two men lying snoring beside her. As she tried to move she found herself restricted by some strange material that they had used to bind her arms and legs with. She tried to talk, but could only make some groaning sounds, but it was enough to bring in another man, obviously a soldier of some kind, with strange markings all over his face. He said something to her, but as she didn't understand he just lifted a bottle, and helping her up he released her arms to let her drink.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.