His, Hers and Ours - Cover

His, Hers and Ours

Copyright© 2009 by happyhugo

Chapter 3: Our Story

Jake and Julia

The church had two separate side doors. There was an usher on each path leading into the church, one for each side. The usher who Jake approached asked who he was. When Jake told him he said, "Good, you are on the right side of the church. If you good people will follow me. Ma'am, may I take your arm?" He took Miriam's arm and led her into the church and down the side aisle to several pews that were reserved. Millie had her arm on Jake's. Behind them followed Millie's husband, Stevie and his girlfriend. Mr. and Mrs. Hanson were already seated in the second row behind Jake. Jake turned back to look over the congregation. There must have been a hundred people sitting quietly while watching the principals enter.

Across the aisle Jake could see Mr. and Mrs. White. Momentarily Jake wondered if Julie had refused to come. He supposed that she had been issued an invitation the same as he. He thought, please God let her be here.

Julie arrived only a few moments after Jake. She started up the same path as he did, but was directed to the left side of the church. An usher took her arm to escort her up that path and into the church. She was followed by James Jameson, and his three grandchildren, Billy, five, Ginny, nine, and George, ten.

Jake heard the door open opposite from the one he had entered. He glanced over the congregation to see Julie standing there on the arm of the usher. Jake arose and stood transfixed by the vision of the woman coming down the aisle. This was his wife whom he had lived with for only a little more than a year. The woman whom he had no contact with for more than twenty years, except for one short glimpse a couple of years ago.

God, she is lovely Jake thought as she came to the front and toward the middle aisle just across from where he was standing. If the two had stretched out their hands, they could have touched.

Julie couldn't take her eyes off her husband, thinking he is more handsome than she remembered--so tall and distinguished now. He is my age, she thought. Not like the older woman standing behind Jake or the age of James standing behind me. I don't know Jacob anymore. Oh, why did I do such a foolish thing so many years ago? I should have told my parents to go to the devil and Jake and I would have made our own way. What am I going to do if we are too much a stranger to each other? There is no doubt we are so very different than we were back then.

Across the aisle Jake could see the doubt and fear reflected in Julie's face. Oh please Lord, make her still love me. I couldn't stand it if we have come this far and we can't have a life together. I would kill myself if that happens.

Just then Pastor James appeared and stood at the altar, pausing before saying anything. Mr. Burrows came in and sat down in the chair placed just off center of the middle aisle. He smiled at first Julie and then at Jacob. Both thought, you know if we ever had a chance to be happy, Mr. Burrows is the one that made it happen. God bless him.

"Congregation, would you all stand and sing the song listed on the board? If you don't know it by heart, you will find it in the hymnal, page 403." After the song the pastor said, "People, some of you know the story of this couple. In today's time, what happened to this couple would never have been tolerated. We are here today to rectify that mistake. The story has all the classic mistakes that can be made when someone, or several someones, are misguided. This church is as much at fault in perpetrating what happened as the individuals involved.

"To begin with there are some here who would like to ask for forgiveness. No details need to be given. Each in his own way will know what is in his or her own heart to give or receive it. I will start by asking Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Hanson to forgive those of this church who were in power twenty years ago and thought it was the right thing to do. Will you forgive us?"

Pastor James looked at Julie. "Julia Hanson, what say you?"

Jake didn't think Julie was prepared for this. Why hadn't she had time to consider the request? He watched her as she stood with her head bowed. The silence lengthened. Finally, as some in the congregation became restless thinking she wasn't going to answer, her head came up and in a firm, strong voice said, "I forgive."

The pastor turned to Jacob. "Jacob Hanson, what say you?"

He was ready. "I forgive."

Jake tensed up when the pastor turned to Mr. and Mrs. White. God, not them, he thought. They were the cause of this. "What say you, Mr. and Mrs. White?" His gaze swung over to Jake's aisle and fastened on his father and mother, "and you, Mr. and Mrs. Hanson?"

Both sets of parents said in unison, "We forgive."

"Do you, Julia Hanson, forgive your parents and Jacob's parents for their misguided wishes that you followed?"

This time Julie spoke immediately. "I do fully forgive my parents and my in-laws, the Hansons."

Jake's turn came up and he copied Julie's declaration. While he spoke he wondered who was targeted next. He soon found out. "Jacob Hanson, do you forgive your wife for any pain and suffering she may have caused you with her actions in the past?"

Jake paused before he spoke. He wanted to speak to his wife directly and let her know he still loved her. He turned and looked into her eyes. "I do forgive her and I would act the same again if she asked it of me." A burst of gladness washed over her countenance. Jake knew he had reached her with the message he wanted to convey.

She returned with, "Jacob Hanson, I would forgive you anything in the world. Your memory for the last twenty years has been my guiding light."

This was the last of the asking for forgiveness. The pastor then turned to Mr. Burrows. "Sir, you asked to say something. Would you care to speak now?"

"Yes, there are two people here that I would like to thank. They are the two that have kept Julie and Jake safe for each other for most of the time they have been separated. I'd like to introduce Mrs. Miriam Crumbly and give her my many thanks. Jake went to work for her agency sixteen years ago and very soon moved into a position of authority. Finding him a responsible young man, she asked him to mentor her fatherless children and be a surrogate father to them. They are the man and woman sitting beside him." Mr. Burrows motioned for Millie and Stevie to stand.

"An almost identical thing has happened to Julie. She went to work for James Jameson about the same time. She managed his office with dispatch until Mr. Jameson's son and his wife died in an accident, leaving three motherless and fatherless children in the care of their grandfather. He asked Julie to fill in as their mother, which role she fills to this day.

"In an unexpected way, I met Mrs. Crumbly and Mr. Jameson a few years ago, and with their help, we find us here today. A big thank you to both." He sat down.

"Thank you Mr. Burrows. Would you, Julia Hanson and Jacob Hanson, join hands? I wish you the best with blessings, the best in resuming your life together after such a lengthy absence. Bless you."

Julia and Jacob knew this was the easy part. Julie had three children in her care and was living in the East. Jacob had a position and a surrogate family that he loved, who of course, loved him. He was living hundreds of miles away in the West. James rented a large room at the hotel where they all could get acquainted or reacquainted as the case might be. The parents were there too.

Jake led Julie to a small side room. "Julia, things look so hopeless. I don't see how we can ever be able to live together."

"Jake, James has thought about this a lot. He has a suggestion he wants to make. Would you listen to him, please? I know I have collected a lot of baggage, but I can't just up and leave these children. They are having it pretty rough, losing their father and mother the way they have, but I do so want to be with you."

"I can listen. I don't see any solution that will make everyone happy though."

"I will have James come in and tell us what he has in mind anyway." She went out and came back with Miriam and James.

"First of all Mr. Hanson, my family and I have created an obstacle to your happiness. That hasn't been my intention and was thrust suddenly upon me. Mrs. Crumbly has listened to what I am going to propose and although it hurts her, she has to agree it may be the only solution. First I need a manager in my real estate office since Julia left her position to take care of my grandchildren. The agency is slowly going downhill in sales. I understand from Mrs. Crumbly that you are more than qualified to take over and manage my agency.

"What I am proposing is for you to accept employment from me. Come and live with your wife while she cares for my grandchildren. I'm in my sixties. I have spoken briefly with Millie and Stevie. They both rave over how well you cared for them as their father. I want that for Billy, Ginny and George. Please, I beg of you to consider this."

Jake studied him for a moment. "Are you sure you don't want Julie to leave because of your own feelings for her? You want to keep her for yourself?"

This made James a little angry and Miriam obviously mad. "Jake, I'm disappointed in you. If you knew how long and hard James has worked so you could be with your wife more than three years earlier then you expected, you would fall down at his feet. I can tell you are jealous, but I assure you, you needn't be."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.