Incoming - Cover

Incoming

Copyright© 2009 by Remo Jackson

Chapter 8

McKnight was lost in thought as his APC entered the gate to Alpha Base. The slight bump as the heavy vehicle cleared the gate threshold was enough to shake him out of his reverie. The APC pulled up and stopped in front of the command building. He stepped out and into the rain. He stood on the steps and looked around the perimeter. Squads were moving along the wall, various vehicles moving about, ships landing and taking off, and in the sky, the constant rain and cloud cover. He turned and walked up the steps and went through the double doors. Giving a nod to the quarterdeck officer, he made his way down the now finished hall to his office.

McKnight walked in silence, his mind, digesting the briefing, intel reports and the upcoming battalion briefing.

General Beckett sat at his desk and watched the fleet status board. The clear windows that faced the op-center gave him a commanding view of the operations display screen. In the last forty-eight hours, several research and mining vessels had been dispatched and the path through the debris field had been widened and cleared. No further attacks from raiders had been reported. Several battle groups had moved into the other system and taken positions around UNL-465. Beckett turned his gaze to the report on his desk. He scanned through it as he had for the last several hours. Admiral Kirby had requested and received approval for the use of Sirius. Beckett's appearance had suffered in the days since the meeting. His uniform was as ever, starched and perfectly worn per regulations, his eyes though had appeared to be sunken, the spring in his step was missing and he was curt and almost rude to his junior officers. He now spent most of his shift in his office and was rarely seen walking the floors of the center.

The replacement shifts as well as Beckett's relief came and went with whispered words of caution. Beckett's relief, newly appointed Brigadier General Dietz, a now graying at the temples former division commander, noticed the change in Beckett but, still getting used to duty at the op center, didn't have the time to delve further into it.

"Damn that man!" Senator Carson vented to his aide. "How dare he belittle me in front of my own staff and those lower class security guards!" Carson stomped around his suite of rooms located in the distinguished visitor section of Archangel's central decks.

"Really senator, it wasn't all that bad." Denninger, Carson's most trusted aid and 'fixer' replied. "Admiral Greerson is close to retirement and Kirby will find a suitable replacement."

Carson paced back and forth, as Denninger spoke, stopping at the last sentence.

"Absolutely correct." He paused as his mind worked at a frantic pace. "The old battle ax is out in a few months and we'll have the ear of the Chancellor again." He clasped his hands behind his back as a glint of malice crossed his face. "Once he leaves, Kirby will nominate a puppet that we'll control. Perfect. Perfect." He muttered as he resumed his pacing. "Just one problem with that sir." Denninger added. "With this Newson situation escalating the way it is, the Chancellor might leave Greerson in command until it's over."

"Damn you Denninger!" Carson erupted "Why can't you give me some good news?" Carson fumed as he walked to the view port and stared out.

"Well sir, there's always the possibility that he would be replaced if he was injured in combat or worse." Denninger paused to let what he had just said sink in. "Kirby would have to replace him in short order."

A strange smile formed on Carson's face as he thought about what the other man had said. He slowly tilted his head back and closed his eyes, relishing the thought.

"Senator? Are you alright?"

Carson spun around, facing Denninger.

"Of course. Couldn't be better." He said with a far away look in his eyes. "Whom do we know in the Forces?" he asked as he made his way across the room and poured a large glass of Thelsian Ambrosia. Denninger pulled out a small admin comp and rapidly typed in commands.

"We have one that's worked for us in the past." He typed a new set of commands. "And already in this system."

Carson held the glass in his hand as he smiled again, a cold smile, to go with his equally cold, emotionless eyes. "Excellent. Truly excellent." He said, whether he was commenting on the ambrosia or Denninger's statement it was never known.

"Lets hold up here and rest a bit." Deakins said as he shrugged off his pack and stretched a little. Roberts stopped and waved his hand held scanner around the large cavern they had stopped at. Crowe hung back a few steps and watched the back trail.

"This is some rock." Roberts commented as he viewed the readout. "I'm barely getting a signal from the transponder." Deakins walked over and looked at the readout.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.