Bridget's Spirit
Chapter 3: Chris' Last Stand

Copyright© 2009 by Little Owl

The next Thursday night Liam was sitting in his living room, paying very little attention to the show on his TV. He heard pounding on Gina's door and peeked through his peephole to see who it was. Just as he suspected, it was Chris. He never liked Chris, and only tolerated him because he was dating Gina -- Liam valued Gina's friendship. He watched at his door, listening as the events unfolded.

"I told you, Chris, I'm not in the mood tonight. I've got a migraine."

"You always say that. Listen, honey, let me in and I'll help you take care of it. We don't have to go out." Liam shook his head and turned from his door as Gina let Chris inside. He felt that wasn't the right decision to make, but Gina was a grown woman and capable of deciding for herself. Just to be on the safe side, though, Liam reduced the volume on his TV. He remembered the fight that Gina and Chris had that led to their break-up.

A short time later, Liam heard three loud poundings on his door. After looking through the peephole, he opened the door wide.

"Is there a problem, Chris?" Liam's voice was dripping with contempt.

"What the fuck did you do with my girlfriend?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about! What's with these little 'nudie massages' of yours? You couldn't wait 'til I was gone before fucking her, could you?"

Before Liam responded, he caught a glimpse of Gina in her doorway. Her cheek was starting to swell and her bottom lip was cut. Liam's eyes darted back to Chris who was ready to start fighting.

Quickly, he called out, "Dennis, 3-F!" As Chris' fist crashed into his face, Liam began to defend himself and his home.

Gina ran down the hall and knocked on the door to 3-F. Sarah, Dennis' wife, answered. When she saw Gina's face, she called into her apartment for her husband. Gina hurriedly spoke four words when she spotted Dennis, "Chris. Liam. Liam's apartment."

"Sarah, call dispatch and let them know what is going on. Gina, I'd prefer you stay here with Sarah so she can look at your face, but I'm sure you're going to follow, so stay behind me and stay out of the way!" With that, Dennis bolted from his apartment and approached Liam's.

Liam had the forethought to leave his door open so Dennis could assess the situation as soon as he got there. What he found was Liam bloodied, but still standing. Chris, however, was groaning and writhing on the floor.

Liam looked over to the doorway, removed the towel and ice from his eye, and explained, "I needed to protect myself, Officer. He hit me first; it's self-defense." A little Irish twinkle shone from his eyes.

"No doubt," muttered Dennis. He knelt down beside Chris and began reading him his rights just as backup appeared at Liam's door. The paramedics arrived right behind them. Dennis briefed the officers while Liam tried to comfort Gina in a corner of his living room away from Chris.

One of the officers approached Liam and Gina.

"Ma'am, can you tell me what happened?"

Gina's eyes darted back to Chris who was being attended to by paramedics.

"Oh, God!" Gina's hand covered her mouth and she ran down the hall to Liam's bathroom. She began to heave even before she slammed the door shut behind her.

"Are you okay, Gina?" Liam knocked, listening to his friend getting sick on the other side. He was just about to try the handle when he heard water and then the door opened.

"Sorry," Gina apologized, pulling her robe tighter to her chest and looking toward the floor. The injuries to her face looked more pronounced against her now-pale skin.

"Are you alright, Ma'am?" A paramedic joined Liam, with the questioning officer close behind.

"Yeah." Gina leaned on Liam's shoulder. "I had a migraine when I got home. Chris..."

"Is that your boyfriend, Ma'am?" The officer began taking notes.

"No. He's my EX-boyfriend. He's been trying to get back together, but I've not been interested." The officer continued to take notes, only looking up occasionally. "Chris came over tonight and I told him to leave because I had a migraine. I was stupid to let him in but I knew he wouldn't go otherwise. We had an argument and he hit me." Gina pointed to her face. "Well, a couple times. Anyway, the next thing I knew, he was coming over here pounding on Liam's door."

"So, you live on this floor?"

"Yes. 3-C, across the hall."

"This is your apartment, then, Sir?"

"Yes."

"Are you the new boyfriend?"

"No! Look we're just friends. We've been friends for years. Chris came over here and swung at me first, right after I opened my door. I don't know what justification he thought he had for his attack, but he started it and I was just protecting myself."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.