Cherry Bomb - Cover

Cherry Bomb

Copyright© 2009 by Three Sheets

Chapter 14

The road to this little cross-country trip was long and filled with a few curves and pot holes but I do think I weathered them well. Hell, I know I weathered them well. Look what I have besides a new bike and a loving relationship with not one but two great ladies. The future is looking up.

I am on my way to La Mesa, Texas. In my saddle bag I have a La Mesa, California Police ball cap I hoped to trade with one of the locals. The whole idea of a road trip like this was to have no meeting places set up, no agenda. Well maybe a little one. Like the ball cap and the largest ball of twine and all of the"mystery spots".

It was a relatively smooth ride to La Mesa; I had a lot of fun just watching the world go by as I rolled into Texas again. There was that damned knife doing its thing on the road at the state line. (Cutting the asphalt and going to concrete with no warning.) I had to keep an eye open for the open-range cattle and the jack rabbits. Damn, those things were HUGE. I would bet there wasn't more than 2 ounces of meat on one, and a lot of bones.

I was cruising at 50 mph and relaxing when I noticed a real road runner just about keeping up with me. I couldn't resist the beep-beep of the air horn that caused it to swerve and fly a short distance. Yes, there really are road runners. Why that dang coyote would want one I'll never know, not enough meat for me.

It was early afternoon in La Mesa as I cruised through town looking it over. It was definitely not the same as the one in California. I actually saw a guy get off a horse and tie it to a parking meter and put a quarter in. Talk about your oddities. I found the center of town and cruised around the town square for a few minutes. I spotted a shaded area and slowed to a stop. I "checked six" and then slowly backed into the space under a large oak tree. I got everything shut down and climbed off the bike. I removed my helmet and put it in the trunk and grabbed a bottle of water I always carry there. I took a sip while checking out the area. I spotted a Dairy Queen and put the water back and walked over to the DQ with visions of a chocolate shake in my head.

I ordered my shake and settled down on the outside cement picnic table watching the traffic (three jeeps, one tractor, four horses, five trucks and two cars). Some traffic jam, eh?

I watched the folks around the downtown area and just relaxed a bit. I planned on staying in Lubbock, Texas that night but again, nothing was set in stone. I did want to find a place to stay early so I could get a decent meal and a good night's rest. That wasn't too much to ask I'm sure. While it was getting a little later in the day, I thought I could get to the birth place of Buddy Holly by dark. I just needed to get a cop and see about trading the ball cap.

I had decided to ask the kid in the DQ stand where the cop shop was when I saw one of La Mesa's finest pull up to my bike across the street. You have to love small towns like this. I'll bet if someone did something stupid he'd have been there a lot faster. I watched as the officer got out of his car. Make that HER car. There was nothing little about the little lady that stepped out of the car and started talking to one of the kids in the park. She had to have been 6'. She had black hair that was cut short, and she was built. I could tell that from across the street. I could also tell she was easy on the eyes but she had the walk of someone you wanted on your side in a bar fight. Just smooth, no wasted motion, she reminded me of Rob or JJ.

While it looked like she was talking to the kids, you could tell she was looking around the park and eventually across the street where I was seated with my milk shake. I raised my shake in a salute and continued sipping on it. I must admit, I was trying to NOT look like anything other than someone having a shake. But I also had a couple of the local kids in the vicinity and they were not being subtle about looking at the stranger. I had unzipped my mesh and was just sitting there with the do-rag on and enjoying the view. One of the kids finally got enough nerve to say hello. I immediately said "Hey" back.

He then started to ask about the bike and trailer. I told him I was two days into a trip around the country from California.

"Is it comfortable?" asked one of the girls in the group.

"It sure is," I answered. "I have most of the comforts of a car: music, and a CB, along with air conditioning."

"Air conditioning?" she asked.

"Yep" I took off my mesh vest with armor and showed them the cool vest underneath it. I explained how you soaked it in water then put it on over your shirt but under the mesh so the air could evaporate the water and keep you cool.

Of course, there were a couple of the kids that just couldn't believe that someone would actually rather be on a Honda than a Harley. Not wanting to get into an argument or explain anything, I just said it's a matter of personal preference.

I got up, excusing myself from the youngsters and walked over to the park with my shake still in my hand. I opened the trunk and got out the digital camera and started taking pictures. The DQ was first up with the kids all standing there in cowboy hats and ice cream cones. I then took a couple pictures of the park and the folks there and the cop car, prominently showing the La Mesa Police logo on the side door. This last got the undivided attention of the cop. I was just finishing up as she walked over to me with a quizzical look in her eye.

I looked up, yes she was very close to 6' maybe even over, and asked if she would take a picture of me and the bike in front of the sign in the park that showed where we were.

"Sure," she answered and moved around to get the sign in the background. After taking the picture I asked for one of her since I like to show off the folks that took MY picture. Hesitantly she agreed. I had her stand in front of the bike before I snapped the picture.

I thanked her and moved to the trunk. I re-stowed the camera and got out my notebook to log the pictures and location for easy reference later.

"Where in California?" the cop asked.

I thought I would have some fun and said, "La Mesa."

She looked at me skeptically. "Say what? La Mesa, California?"

"Yes," I replied. "It's a little town right outside of San Diego. Actually I'm from Imperial Beach, just south of San Diego, but I couldn't resist the twin city joke."

"Is there a real La Mesa?" she asked, again.

"Yes, I even have a ball cap from the La Mesa PD. A friend of mine is on the force there and asked me to see if I could trade a cap for him since he knew I was coming this way." I pulled the cap out of the trunk along with a San Diego PD cap. I also handed her my card that had my name and address on it and asked if she might be interested in swapping a cap.

"Let me get one out of the car," she eagerly replied.

She went to her cruiser and came back with a practically new ball cap and we traded. She adjusted the fit and said the guys were going to go bonkers when they saw it. She knew there was a La Mesa in Arizona but not in California.

"I'm Sonja Vasquez," she introduced as we shook hands.

"Dom Maximilian," I replied.

We talked a bit about the roads and such and I asked how far Lubbock was.

"Well, you have a couple hours ahead of you since there is some road construction. Any detour you take will definitely throw your schedule off; if you have a schedule that is."

"No schedule here," I said. "I'm on vacation and I have to be in Dallas in a couple of days. That's about it. Is there a decent place to stay the night?"

"Down the road about a mile out of town is the cleanest motel around. There are others closer but that is the one I would recommend. There is also a good restaurant and small bar there if you want to eat and knock back a couple."

Now that is the type of info I needed. While I am not a big one for drinking, a cold beer on occasion is called for and after two days on the road I think I would like one. I thanked the nice lady and asked if the restaurant was good.

I noticed another cop pull up and come over.

"Is everything ok?" he asked, after he had approached me from the other side.

"We're fine Dan," Sonja said. "Dan, meet Dom Maximilian, late of La Mesa, California."

Dan did a double-take then noticed the ball cap in Sonja's hand and just shook his head.

We stood there in the shade for a while talking about the road and bikes. It was starting to get a little late when I asked for another picture for the "archives".

Dan and Sonja said sure, so I went to the back of the bike and broke out the camera again. I had the two of them stand next to the Wing with the open door of their cruiser prominently displayed.

We shook hands around and I got back on the bike. Now I know that Texas doesn't require a helmet but I do believe in self preservation so a helmet is NOT optional. Putting on the helmet and gloves I started out to the east side of town and the (hopefully) clean motel.

I shouldn't have worried. While it wasn't one of the chain motels along the interstate, it was large enough to have an indoor recreation area that included a pool and a night club/bar. I pulled in and was greeted cordially by what looked like the twin sister of the police officer. I registered and was directed to my requested room in the back on the ground floor.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.