Cherry Bomb - Cover

Cherry Bomb

Copyright© 2009 by Three Sheets

Chapter 18

We rolled into New Orleans on a hot and muggy afternoon. Reggie had already made arrangements for us at the Omni on the waterfront so it looked like it would be bignets (a flat donut unique to New Orleans and the Gulf Coast) and Chicory coffee for breakfast at Café du Monde. After going to the Omni and checking in, we parked the bike in the parking structure and headed up to the room.

We said our goodbyes to Jason and Candy since they were staying with friends for the next couple of days. We were in the hotel room long enough to lay out some clean clothes when Reggie suggested, "Let's just walk around for a while and figure out where we want to go."

That sounded as good to me as anything else so we locked up and started walking towards the French Quarter.

It was late afternoon when we walked hand in hand by a handcart. It was piled high with cooked crawfish and a sign on it said, "$10 all the crawfish you can eat, all the beer you can drink."

I asked Reggie if she had ever eaten "Mudbugs".

The look on her face should have told me not to ask but she still said, "No and I don't plan on it."

I wanted her to at least try one, and the man at the cart said to pick one out.

So, I picked one and showed Reggie how to pinch the tail off and peel back the underside before popping it in your mouth. It was great.

Reggie looked at me like I was from another planet when I said for her to try it. To my joy, she took one and did the pinch and twist. She had a little difficulty with the peel so I helped her. Once she had the little morsel of meat, about the size of your pinky finger, in her fingers, she popped it in her mouth and started to chew. I watched as the expression on her face turned from worried to the beginning of a smile.

Grabbing my hand, she said, "Thanks" to the vendor and headed for the bar that was hosting the $10 special. I think she was hooked.

We went in the bar and there was a long table the length of the room with newspaper on it and small piles of cooked crawfish. The bartender waved us to a couple of seats and said, "Hey! Ya'll grab a seat and help yourselves." He came over and set two Dixie beers in front of us and took our $20. We stayed there for an hour eating crawfish and small corn on the cobs and washing it all down with a couple of beers.

This was definitely the find of the day. We figured there were other places like this but because we found it, it was special to us and probably tasted better than any other place that we could have been directed to.

After our impromptu late lunch, we continued on our way to the French Quarter. We enjoyed walking around and looking at the street performers and listening to the jazz that came from the various bars, some famous and some not so famous. The atmosphere was the thing though. Regardless of the quality, there was a large quantity of music and everyone was just enjoying the day. The French Quarter is a place that no matter where you are going, you automatically slow your walking just to savor the feeling of the area. Yes it's expensive, it's electric, it's tawdry and commercial, but it is still "The Quarter" and you have to experience it to get the full flavor of what New Orleans is like.

It's too crowded on Fat Tuesday and you couldn't pay me enough to go there during Mardi Gras. To really The French Quarter, Mardi Gras is NOT the time. You need to catch it during the late afternoon or early evening to fully enjoy the life that feeds this city. Take the horse drawn tour and pay the extra for a little longer. The men who give you these tours are natives and know about the ins and outs and the ghosts and stories that make up New Orleans. It's a rather unique experience that should not be missed.

We stopped for a late dinner at an out of the way local restaurant and then walked back to our room. Reggie called Shelly as soon as we got undressed to let her know we were in one piece and to check on the house. We talked for a few minutes then said our good-byes as we were going to bed early.

We were up at 8 the next morning. Or should I say, Reggie was up at 8, I woke up at 8:05 with a smile on my face. Reggie sure knows how to wake a guy up! We were snuggled up with the hotel's air conditioner going full blast. Did I say it was hot and muggy in New Orleans? Well it was and it stayed that way all night.

I heard a discrete knock on the door and Reggie jumped out of bed to retrieve our morning coffee. We sat on the balcony of our room in robes, watching the barge traffic on the Mississippi River. I could only wonder what Mark Twain would have thought of the amount of traffic on the river and how it was moved.

Reggie and I decided we would leave today and take US 90 across to the Florida panhandle before going south. Florida is the one state we would travel almost exclusively on Interstate. It was long, narrow and had relatively few state roads that went the entire length of the state. We wanted to see a lot of the states we went through but to go surface streets in Florida would mean a three day trip to Key West. It would also mean dodging little old ladies in huge cars if we were to go one of the coast roads through the coastal communities where the average age is 73.

We started out at 10 A.M. and worked our way into I59 North and went to US 90 at Slydell. This was going to be entertaining since we would be going along the Gulf of Mexico coastline for the entire ride.

We saw a lot of hurricane damage and even more casino damage. Casino damage is the result of someone not being able to control themselves and then losing their homes as a result. Gambling is huge on the Gulf Coast. The only thing I think it's good for is ruining the view of the Gulf. I was stationed in Pascagoula, Mississippi when I was in the Navy. Then, the casinos were not even on the horizon and it was a wonderful ride along the coast. The Gulf of Mexico on the south and old Antebellum homes on the north of US 90. There were parks and wide lawns of homes; it was so beautiful.

Now all you have is a wall of two and three story barges garishly decorated in neon lights along with the billboards that are constantly advertising the 99% payout rates of the slots. The place is disgusting with this look. There is nothing for the kids and hardly any access to the Gulf for entertainment. Most of the casinos are tied to a motel on the other side of US 90 so you can spend your money there also.

I'm not anti-gambling, but this is one experiment to kick-start an economy along the Gulf that has failed miserably and looks it. Thank heavens I don't live there. It has only caused the price of a home to quadruple and this is an area that has some of the highest unemployment in the US.

What has not been taken from the area is the people. It has some of the nicest folks you'd ever want to meet, along with some of the best sea food in the country. I love the area because of the people I had met while in the military and Reggie just loves people. It seemed like every where we stopped to shop or eat Reggie was making friends and it wasn't just because she was cute and built.

We stopped at a place called "The Landing" for lunch. By the time we were seated, Reggie had given one of our contact cards to the hostess and had her phone number and an invite to a crawfish boil that night. What can I say?

I told Reggie I wanted to be in Mobile that night for an early start to Key West. We continued on US 90 but we didn't make nearly as many stops as we did that morning. We crossed the bridge on Mobile Bay and decided to stop just outside of town. We stopped at what looked like a nice motel.

We checked in and started looking around for a place to eat and unwind. After getting the bike unpacked and the stuff moved to the room we walked across the street to a Denny's and had a rather ok meal. We knew we weren't going to be dining at five-star restaurants and Denny's is nothing if not consistent.

We had just finished eating and had crossed the street when Reggie noticed that our motel had a lounge and a band. Off we went to have a night cap and listen to music. I was just having a Diet Coke, Reggie had an iced tea and we were relaxing. Now if we had been on a 2-cylinder touring bike (Harley/Indian/Victory) we'd have been in the Jacuzzi getting the kinks worked out.

We were up the next morning at 6 AM and sitting down at the Denny's for biscuits and gravy with grits and eggs for breakfast. We were on the bike at 7:30 and out of Mobile shortly after that. The ride to I 75 was uneventful with the early morning commuters not doing anything stupid.

We turned south on 75 and were on our way to Orlando. We did not plan on stopping at the Mouse House or Universal Studios since we had that in California. We were anxious to get to Key West. It was a nice quiet ride to St. Petersburg. It seemed like every roadside stand in the state was advertising "Fresh Florida Orange Juice", not Fresh OJ, or anything else; it was ALWAYS "Fresh Florida Orange Juice".

We had just left St. Petersburg when we got hit with our first rain shower. It happened so fast we didn't have a chance to put on rain gear but then five minutes later, it was over and ten minutes after that we were dry again. I forgot that part about Florida.

We got to the Isle Mirada late that afternoon and checked into one of the last rooms available. After dropping our trailer and the carry-in bags, we were back on the bike and headed to a sundowner restaurant I remembered from a past life.

It was still there. The Conch Chowder and fresh seafood was just as good as I remember it; and there was, of course, Key Lime Pie.

We had put in a long day and decided to call it an early night. We rode back to the motel just in time to hear the Reggae band warm up. Ok, we weren't THAT tired. We went to the outdoor Tiki Bar and decided to indulge with a couple of adult beverages.

The band was good and the beat just went right to your bones. Reggie and I were on the dance floor for the entire first set, just moving to the music and sipping our drinks. There were a couple of younger guys on the fringes that just didn't quite know what to make of the two of us. You could tell they wanted to cut in but Reggie seemed to read them and when one would make a move towards us she would just shake her head and save the guy the embarrassment of rejection.

After the first set, we moved to the bar and ordered another round for the two of us. I had to use the men's room and, upon my return, there was a small crowd around Reggie. I moved back and had to tap a guy on the shoulder to reclaim my seat. He was NOT happy. After sitting, the crowd seemed to clear out a bit but there were a couple that just had to hang on.

Reggie just had to point out the trouble I'll be in when Shelly arrives here. I could only wish I had a large caliber gun to hold them off. We moved onto the dance floor then and I could only shudder at the impact the two of them would have on the patrons. Two more days and we would find out.

Reggie and I left the next day for Key West. We had a nice ride with water on both sides of us. We were on a two lane road that, while relatively straight, still had enough going on to keep it interesting. Naked palm trees from the last hurricane and new construction of "hurricane proof" homes seemed to take up both sides of the road.

We entered Key West with a rain squall immediately in front of us. This was the third one of the day. We left the main road and followed the directions to our bed and breakfast. We were just signing in when one of the owners asked if we wanted to move the bike to the back yard. Hey, no problem there; off the street and safe.

Reggie and I took our daily clutches into the room and asked for directions to the local laundromat. The owner of the B&B came through again by offering us the use of their washer and dryer. Lifesaver since we really didn't want to have to stay and watch clothes for an hour. We were hungry.

We found where a good place to eat was and after throwing our stuff in the washer, we were gone. It was just a short walk to the beach and some really good food that you would not expect on a bar menu.

We wanted to have fun for the day before we went back to Isle Mirada. I figured we'd leave the bike there and take the rental car that Shelly was getting and the three of us would explore for a couple of days before Reggie had to leave. I did not like it that Reggie was going home but she did have a job and it's not like she was leaving me in the lurch. Shelly was meeting us and taking over the back seat for a good portion of the rest of the trip.

That morning we woke up and went to a little beach bar that was open for breakfast. We were watching the first tourists straggling out in search of souvenirs. Hell we were tourists also but I hoped I would never be recognized as one with three cameras around the neck and black socks on with my sandals.

Reggie and I were just walking around the area, watching the people and the live-aboard boats that were at the marina. It's nice to look at and dream but I keep slapping myself to remind me that you need TONS OF MONEY for that lifestyle. We had stopped at a couple of shops and were going to send some of the souvenirs off via mail when Reggie saw a jewelry store. Uh oh, BIG mistake there! We walked over and did some window shopping. I just hoped the window shopping would appease her since she did enjoy the shiny things.

I should have known better since the next thing I realized I was in the shop with a ring-sizer on my finger. Reggie had apparently found three matching gold rings that were patterned using three braided rings to form one ring. There were two yellow gold strands and one white gold strand making up the ring.

"This is so perfect," Reggie exclaimed. "When Shelly gets here tomorrow she is going to go into shock."

I must admit, I liked the idea and we hadn't really discussed this. We would have to talk to Shelly tomorrow morning.

Reggie and I both knew Shelly would love it and we planned on making it permanent. I know three can't get married but three can commit to each other and we had already done that. It was just another piece of the puzzle that would make us complete.

We mounted up on the bike and returned to Isle Mirada and the room we had reserved. We got to the hotel around 8 PM that night and decided on a quick meal then hit the bar for some dancing before turning in.

Dinner was excellent; the seafood was less than an hour out of the ocean and the dessert was heavenly. (Did I tell you I liked Key Lime Pie?) We walked hand in hand to the Tiki Bar. After getting an iced tea each we just sat and watched people for the first set. The college types that were hitting on Reggie last night decided it was a wasted evening and didn't even approach.

It was half way through the second set; Reggie and I had just sat down when a young man came up and asked if I would mind if he danced with my wife. I had to smile at that and I nodded to Reggie, indicating it was up to her. (Hey, he was polite.)

Reggie jumped off the bar stool and grabbed his hand to lead him onto the dance floor. They danced two songs then Reggie shook her head negatively and they came back to the bar. He thanked Reggie then nodded to me as he left.

I had to ask what was going on.

"Well, he asked if we were married, then asked if I was really "with" you. I said, no not yet and yes I really was with you. I also told him we enjoyed friends and good people and dancing was a way to have fun. He did ask if he could dance with me again later and I said yes, if we were here."

Well that is pretty much my attitude also. I had no problem with Reggie having friends, dancing and even going out with them, but when they tried to stake a claim like she was a piece of meat, I did tend to get a little abrupt.

Reggie and I were dancing during the third set when the young man was back again. I didn't see him sitting with anyone else and he definitely wasn't one of the college types that seemed to be keeping score. He asked Reggie again to dance and she was off like a shot. They danced several more songs, one of them a slow belly rubber. After that one he brought her back and thanked her again.

We finished our drinks and said goodbye to Reggie's new friend. As we were leaving one of the college types that had been shot down a couple nights before got a little loud and asked, "What does he have that we don't?"

Without even batting any eye, Reggie said, "Manners." We were gone by the time it sank in.

Our night together that evening was long, slow, sensual and totally satisfying. We were curled in each others' arms and out to the world. I woke up with Reggie entwined in my limbs as if she were ivy and I was not getting away. I had one leg over her waist. She had a leg between mine and another under me holding my right leg in a scissors grip while I held her leg in the same grip. Breathing the fragrance of her hair was totally relaxing. Hearing the birds outside reminded me what time it was getting to be.

As gently as I could I got out of bed and jumped in the shower. Reggie woke up as soon as the water was turned on and followed me. After washing each others' hair and drying each other (a highly enjoyable past time) we dressed and headed out to breakfast. Reggie in a bikini top and shorts, me in board shorts and a "T"; we were dressed like everyone else.

While we were eating breakfast Reggie's dance partner from the previous evening appeared. He was our waiter. We had a laugh and talked a few minutes, finding out he was only temporary until the college guy his aunt had hired showed up. I think he was hoping the guy wouldn't show up since he was making money and was definitely more reliable. I had to agree with him there.

After checking the time, we thought Shelly should be arriving soon. (Why didn't I go get her? Well how would I transport three of us on the bike? And how would Reggie get to the airport when it was time for her to leave?)

At 2PM I saw a red Mustang Convertible pull into the parking lot with a platinum blonde in the driver's seat. Reggie saw her at the same time and was off like a shot. Shelly had just gotten out of the car when Reggie got there. The embrace and kiss that followed were definitely NOT PG-13. The college loafers/losers watched this display with open-mouthed awe. I got up and met Shelly half way with a hug and kiss that was just as warm (hot) as the one Reggie gave her.

We went to the car and picked up a stuff bag of clothes and headed to the room for a much anticipated reunion. As we walked to the room, Reggie was on one side of me and I swear Shelly was clinging to my other side like a little kid not letting go and moving only when my leg moved.

Once in the room the three of us just collapsed together on the bed holding and caressing each other. Clothes started to find their way to the floor and before we knew it we were all three naked and kissing every inch of exposed flesh available.

At 4:30 PM Shelly stirred and went to the bathroom, followed by Reggie and then me. We freshened up and decided to go to the restaurant where Reggie and I ate the first night. I was finished with sea food for a few months but I knew they had a killer filet so that is where we wanted to end up. I told Shelly we had reservations the following day for two dives and a boat tour so we would be up early (9 AM).

We went to the Bar for a late afternoon cooler. I was wearing my board shorts, Reggie and Shelly were in bikini tops and shorts. Reggie's dance partner was tending bar and we introduced him to Shelly. Billy, the bartender/dance partner, had two iced teas on the bar by the time we finished introductions and Shelly said she'd have the same. After setting Shelly's on the bar he went to the other end to do his bartending duties.

We talked about the flight out from California and the drive down. Reggie filled Shelly in on the local land sharks. Shelly looked at Billy and asked if he was one of the ones she was warning her about.

Reggie said, "No, he is a nice guy, asked for a couple of dances and didn't try to show how "manly" he was. I think his Aunt owns the place since he's just filling in until the college kid that was hired shows up. He's polite and has manners."

We talked also about the autographs Shelly was asked for, mostly as a come on from guys on the plane. There is just no way to dumb down her looks. She should be modeling somewhere but she has this problem. She's built like a woman instead of an anorexic 13 year old boy. I called for another round and offered Billy one. He smiled and shook his head no, he didn't drink. Besides, he was saving himself for more dancing tonight. He was looking right at Reggie when he said this but you could tell the smile was genuine.

It was close to 5:30 when we went to our room to change for dinner. We had just come down when Billy met us at the foot of the stairs. "Are you taking your car tonight?" he asked.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.