The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 23

Court rang his father. The plane was available on Monday or Tuesday. They plumped for Tuesday to give themselves the extra day. Libby texted Timermat telling him and saying she would ring him on Tuesday evening. She did the same to Jenny asking her to tell the milkman.

On Sunday evening they had a barbecue. After a long evening of talk and laughter, Jean yawned.

"I don't know about you young people but this old stick is ready for bed."

"You're not an old stick," said Court indignantly. "I wouldn't even say you're middle aged."

Jean kissed him. "Good night, Court. You're a flatterer but I enjoy it. Good night, darling." She kissed Libby. "Sleep well, both of you."

"I love your mum," said Court softly. "She's a sweet, gentle person."

"She can also be as tough as old boots."

"That's not necessarily a bad thing when it's needed."

"When Daddy died I knew she was utterly distraught but she never let on. I used to hear her crying herself to sleep but I never went in to her because I sensed that that would make it worse. The next morning she would be back to normal; well, pretty normal. And then she had all the money worries. An Army Widow's Pension is pretty meagre and they had no savings because of my schooling. I'm so proud of her and grateful to them both. If I do start to make some decent money with Kristian's help I'm going to make jolly sure that she wants for nothing."

Court took her hand. "You'll have to tread carefully, my sweet. She's also a very proud person and will not want to accept what she would think of as charity."

Libby gently squeezed his hand. "You're right," she smiled. "I'd like her to get a decent job in Pitsbury, if only to boost her morale. I know she enjoys working at the pub but she could do a lot better. One of the first things I must do is get her a computer so I can teach her a bit."

"I've got a laptop she could borrow. When I'm at home I use my PC and, as far as I'm aware, I'm not going to be away again for a while. It's got Office on it so that ought to be a start for her."

"Oh, Court," she squeezed his hand again. "That's sweet of you."

"No skin off my nose," he smiled at her. "I think I've still got some instruction manuals. If not, we can always get her a CD. We could both teach her and you'd be free to practise your music more and I could listen to you too."

Libby leant across and kissed his cheek. "I was right. You are a sweet man."

Court turned his head and touched his lips to hers. She didn't back off and he pulled her to her feet taking her in his arms.

"Dear Libby," he whispered into her hair. "You are a very special girl."

Her arms tightened round his waist. "I think you're pretty special too," she answered softly. "Will you kiss me again? I rather like it."

Court did so with infinite gentleness so as not to frighten her in any way.

They broke and looked into each other's eyes. They both saw 'that look' again. They both registered it as affection and tenderness.

Libby laid her head on his chest again and he his on her head. Neither moved for a long time. They were both very happy.

At length Court raised his head. "I think it's time I let you go to bed," he whispered.

"Must I?"

"One more kiss then." It was as gentle as the last. He pushed her away from him. "If you don't go we'll have Jean coming out to look for you and to bash me up."

"She'll be asleep."

"Don't you believe it. She's lying there listening for you to go to bed. If you don't believe me, open her door very quietly and whisper good night to her. I'll bet she replies."

They went in and Court locked the veranda doors. "Sleep well, Libby," he said fighting off the urge to kiss her again.

"And you, Court."

She tiptoed to Jean's door and carefully opened it.

"Night night, Mum," she whispered.

"Night night, dear."

Libby stifled her giggles and equally carefully closed the door again.

She did her ablutions and climbed into bed. "I like Court's arms round me," she thought. "I like him kissing me too. In fact I like Court; really quite a lot."

Court was having similar thoughts but they were tempered by what Jean had said. He would have to take it slowly and not frighten her off.

The following morning Jean was up first. Before she had breakfast she went to tidy the barbecue area. She had hardly started when Luisa appeared.

"No! No! No!" she scolded. "You on holiday. No work." She waved a protesting Jean away. "Maria come. You go, Donna Jean."

Libby wandered out in her dressing gown and kissed Jean good morning. Court appeared almost immediately, fully dressed.

"Who's coming to walk the dogs?"

"Me," answered Libby.

"I'll give it a miss," said Jean. "Coffee is uppermost in my mind at the moment."

"Well hurry up and get dressed," Court ordered Libby and she scuttled off to do so.

Jean pulled Court's head own and kissed him. "Thank you for not keeping my little girl out all night," she said.

Court grinned. "It took quite a lot of self-discipline," he admitted. "She's very cuddly."

Jean laughed. "She probably thinks the same about you."

"Nonsense. She thinks I'm strong and masculine."

"And cuddly."

"I'm not going to win this, am I?"

"Nope."

"Oh well."

Libby came bounding out again.

"Ready," she cried. "Come on, Court. We can't keep the dogs waiting."

She seized his hand and dragged him off. "'Bye, Mum. See you soon."

Jean smiled to herself. "I'll bet she doesn't let go of his hand either," she thought. She went up to the tower and there they were with twenty to thirty dogs romping round them and hand in hand. Jean's tummy did a little lurch. "She's not my little girl anymore," she thought. "She's grown up but I'll bet I have to be there for her. Mummy was there for me even after I was married and Libby was born. And when Martin was dying. I bet they weren't watching the eisteddfod. I must get a recording for them when we get home."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.