The Jays
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Libby let herself in. Jean who had been dozing in the sitting room woke with a start and, running to greet her, enveloped her in a hug.

"Oh, darling," she whispered. "My clever, clever darling, I'm so proud of you and so thrilled for you."

"It was just luck that Maestro Timermat overheard me playing one of my party pieces," smiled Libby.

"Not luck, darling. Fate or the hand of God. Weren't you terrified?"

"Yes, Mum. At the audition as well."

"Audition?"

"The powers that be said that people had paid to hear Timermat not me. He said that if they didn't hear me they wouldn't hear him either so, to salve their consciences or something, they said I had to do an audition. I was terrified I'd let the maestro down and asked that Court could turn the pages for me, not that I needed that, and give me a comforting presence. Oh, Mum, he was wonderful. While we were waiting he told me to play some of the Weber to get me going and it worked and my confidence came back."

"Very clever of him but what about the performance itself?"

"Can we have a cuppa and I'll tell you about it over that?"

"Of course. Come on."

They chattered inconsequentially while waiting for the tea and Jean dug out a packet of biscuits. She was bursting with impatience by the time they sat down at the kitchen table.

Libby told her everything: Timermat's words about stage fright, Court holding her hand and then her before pushing her gently on stage, Timermat's tears, the reactions of the audience.

"At the end I was on such a high that without thinking I held up my hand and they all went quiet and I was able to thank them and Maestro Timermat. And then I rushed up to him in the wings and gave him a great big kiss. Then he went back on stage and you rang. Was the pub very full?"

"Bursting at the seams, darling. They all loved it and applauded wildly. I soaked poor James's shirt." Libby giggled. "Then everyone came up and started to congratulate me and I had to keep on telling them it was you they should be congratulating."

Libby wrinkled her nose.

"Anyway, enough of that. How did the press conference go?"

"Fine, Timermat's agent ran it and told them firmly that personal questions were not permitted. Inevitably a few of them tried and he just snapped, "Personal and private. Next question," and they soon stopped trying. In the end they were being very nice and genuinely interested in my music and my plans."

"Darling, I'm so proud. Now what's all this about Portugal?"

Libby told her. Jean's jaw dropped when she revealed who Court's father was and still further when Libby told her about their travelling arrangements.

"I haven't got any clothes," she said at the end, "or money for that matter."

"Nor have I at the moment, Mum, but we don't need any to start with. Money that is," she added with a giggle, "but Maestro Timermat says I shall be earning a lot soon and that he will lend me what I need in the meanwhile. As far as clothes go we've both got summer clothes and swimmers to cover us for the next few days and then, when Court arrives and can show us around, we can get some smarter things."

"Why's Court coming and when?"

"Wednesday probably and because I asked him to. It's his father's villa and we need someone to show us round."

Jean nodded. "Well, I suppose we ought to get some sleep."

"Yeah. I'm on my uppers."

They both went to bed but it was some while before either went to sleep.

Jean was turning over in her mind all that Libby had told her. Clearly Academy fees were no longer going to be a problem and there was no longer a real need for her to find work other than at the pub. However her pride would not allow her to take advantage of Libby's good fortune. She was intrigued by Court's behaviour. Was he coming out of his anti-young women shell? Was he getting keen on Libby? Was Libby getting keen on him? No doubt she would soon find out.

The sleep in the car had in fact lessened Libby's need for it and she lay in bed with her mind racing over the events of the last two incredible days. She was not sure that she wanted this fame business but Timermat was clearly not going to let her duck out of it. She hoped they would not be forced to move. She loved Atheldiston and its people. How sweet Court had been; protective, encouraging, comforting and gentle. He had never been like that before although he had become less brusque as she had settled in as director of music. She had enjoyed that kiss too. She finally fell asleep with a smile on her lips.

Neither of them was up early on Sunday morning but had finished breakfast when Jenny turned up just after ten. She gave Libby a hug.

"You were marvellous," she said. "I knew you must be good to get your scholarship but not that good. You could have heard a pin drop in the pub while you were playing. We ought to charge you for stopping alcoholic consumption on licensed premises."

Libby giggled.

"Are you coming in today, Jean?" Jenny continued.

"Of course I am."

"Good but you said something last night about going away on Monday. Can you tell me more? I need to arrange stand-ins for you."

"We'll be away for a fortnight if everything goes according to plan," said Libby, "so we'll be ready for duty from Tuesday fortnight. I'm sorry to bounce this on to you but we've got to avoid the media."

"We thought it might be that. Don't worry one bit. Presumably Jean told you what James told everyone last night and the reaction from the locals."

"Yes. Please thank James very much."

"It was Court that put him up to it."

"Golly! Another thing to thank him for!"

Jenny left them to start packing.

At eleven Libby rang Court.

"Good," she said. "At least you got back safely. How did the dress rehearsal go?"

"Not perfectly but good enough. Fingers crossed, the lack of perfection will help to wind us all up fully for tomorrow evening."

"Was the singing all right?"

"That was the best part and Mike's solo was very good indeed. He sang with great expression, didn't forget his breathing and he used his eyes. You did marvellously with him, Libby."

"That's wonderful. Tell them all well done from me and that I shall be glued to the box tomorrow night."

"Thanks, Libby, I certainly will."

"Court, does the villa have a piano."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.