The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 7

The first two in that evening, minutes after they had opened, were a tall, slim, woman and a small, wiry man. Both were in their early forties. Jenny recognised them from the party but could not put names to them.

"Hello again," she said warmly. "I'm sorry. There was such a crowd of new faces yesterday evening that I can't remember your names."

"Ninette and Drew," said the girl.

"Ninette and Drew. Ninette and Drew," said Jenny determinedly.

Drew chuckled. "Write it out a hundred times and hand it in before break tomorrow," he said.

Jenny laughed delightedly. "I certainly won't forget now," she said. "What can I get you both to drink?"

"Have you got some of that German pilsner that's low on sugar. It's the only thing I drink and now I can't remember its name."

"Hundred lines," said Drew.

"You hush," said Ninette with a grin.

Jenny looked questioningly at Gavin who produced a bottle from one of the coolers and held it up.

"That's it," exclaimed Ninette.

"Ninette's a very pretty name. Was one or both of your parents French?"

"No. My mother was dead keen on ballet though and named me after Ninette de Valois."

A man Jenny did not recognise came in. He was bald, thickset and wore a singlet. His arms were heavily tattooed.

"Hi, Mike," said Drew and Ninette.

"Hi! Bloomin' hot, ennit?"

Drew and Ninette grinned and went back to their own conversation.

Gavin served him a pint of bitter and introduced Jenny. "Mike's a very good furniture maker," he said.

"No money in it though," said Mike gloomily. "I really only does it as a hobby these days. That's why I'm working at the hospital now."

"Oh? What are you doing there?" asked Jenny.

"Cleaner. It's hot though. All that central heating. Breeding ground for bugs I'd say. Dunno why they don't open the windows and get some fresh air in the place."

He was obviously set to carry on about it but Jenny had to go and renew Drew and Ninette's drinks.

"He bangs on something wicked," Ninette whispered conspiratorially to her. "He's all right though."

Norman and Eileen Stevens came in and Jenny greeted them. They ordered drinks and Eileen asked whether they could have dinner.

"We took a risk on not booking seeing as it was your first proper evening," she said apologetically.

"No problem," replied Jenny happily. "The more the merrier. The menu's above the fireplace."

"I know," said Eileen. "Brendan rubbed my nose in it last night."

Jenny laughed. "He's been a wonderful support," she said.

"If you've got him on your side," said Norman, "you can't fail."

Jenny crossed her fingers. "Don't tempt fate," she said.

The Stevenses studied the menu and ordered.

"Where would you like to sit?" Jenny asked. "In here or the dining room?"

They chose the dining room but went and sat at a table in the bar with their drinks.

More people came in for a drink. One couple joined Drew and Ninette. Drew beckoned Jenny over.

"These two are John and Wendy," he said. "Handy people to know. John's got his own building business and Wendy's a computer whiz."

"Oh yes," said Jenny appreciatively. "Well worth knowing."

"Have you got a website?" Wendy asked her.

"Not that I know of."

"You ought to have one. Photos of the place. Menus. Forthcoming events. And a place for people to post comments too. You can always wipe the rude ones," she grinned.

"That's a great idea."

"Like me to set it up?"

"Would you?"

"Yup."

"Would it be very expensive?"

"Fifty quid to set up. Twenty a month to keep it up to date."

"That sounds very worthwhile."

"Should be."

As Jenny got to know her better she got used to the staccato, abbreviated way Wendy talked. Behind it was a warm and friendly woman.

The Everleighs and Tarletons came in a little later. There was a momentary hush when the former arrived but it was no more than that. They all seemed to know most people. They ordered drinks and broke into two separate groups, adults and children. The children sat at a table and chattered. The adults joined the Stevenses and then Henry and Ginny began to circulate among the locals. They were clearly a popular couple.

The Stevenses were first to be served their dinner. They did not have a starter and went straight for the main course. James came through to check they were happy. Jenny felt very proud of him in his crisp, well-fitting chef's uniform with his handsome, smiling face. She wanted to hug him.

"All well?" James asked the Stevenses.

"Delicious," said Eileen. "The lamb is perfect and the mint and parsnip purée is out of this world."

James smiled delightedly. "And what about your pork, Norman?"

"Also delicious. I haven't enjoyed a meal out so much for ages."

"Excellent," said James. "Don't miss out on one of Jenny's puds. I'll be back later but must finish off the Everleigh's and Harmsworth's meals."

They were served twenty minutes later at which stage Drew and Ninette asked for chicken and chips. John and Wendy followed suit. James did not manage to get back until the Everleighs and Harmsworths had all finished their main courses. The adults were all extremely complimentary and the children agreed that the food was scrummy.

Jenny was charmed by the children. They were lively and never drew breath, chattering and laughing throughout their meal but never being rowdy. Their manners were impeccable and she had to stop them calling her Mrs Hoddinot.

"You make me feel I'm an old woman. I know," she said to Claire Harmsworth, "twenty-five year-olds have one foot in the grave."

"Not when they're as pretty as you," said Tom Harmsworth gallantly.

"Thank you, Tom." She did a little curtsey which brought peals of laughter.

"Oof!" said Eileen to James. "I'm so full I don't think I'll be able to get up. It was just so good. You were quite right. That berry compôte of Jenny's was absolutely superb."

"We haven't been here since those two queers took the place over," said Norman.

"'Gays', dear."

"Oh, all right! We haven't but we'll certainly be back."

"Great!" said James, "but bring some more people with you. We want to try and get the place known in the Winterbournes and first hand experience is even better than word of mouth."

"We'll do that," said Eileen resolutely. "Tell you what. Book us in for six next Friday evening. That'll jolly well make me do something."

"Bless you," said James fervently. "I might even have some pheasant by then."

"Come and shoot it yourself," said Henry who had overheard.

"That's a super idea," said James.

"Don't wait for a shoot day. Just give me a ring and you can walk them up. Get Jenny to beat for you."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.