The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 4

They were up early the next morning and Jenny was out of the house with the flyers by eight. In addition to the invitation to the opening party each one stated that there were staff vacancies and that people should drop by anytime to apply.

James set about sanding down the tables. That took him all day apart from half an hour to arrange beer deliveries for Thursday. He applied the first coat, stain, on Tuesday morning and the second, gloss, on Wednesday morning. He was well pleased with his handiwork and Jenny was suitably complimentary too.

She completed her delivery of flyers on Monday morning and then set about organising things behind the bar. She had to put most of the glasses through the washer.

Also on Monday morning the industrial cleaning team arrived and tackled the kitchen. They moved all the loose items into the bar before starting work. The Jays were impressed by the speed and thoroughness of their work.

It was on Tuesday morning that they remembered there was no dishwasher.

"Frankly," said James, "there's not room for one. We'll have to do it by hand or get someone in to do it."

"Don't let's be too hasty on that," said Jenny. "We don't want any extra expense until we can afford it or it really becomes too much for us."

James agreed. "It's rather like the kitchen assistant," he said, "not taking one on until the pressure stops me doing it all. When the time comes, we might consider getting someone who would do both."

"Well," said Jenny, "you'd better get back to your varnishing while I wash all the plates and put them away. I'm going to put all the big ones and the soup plates on these open shelves where you can get at them easily. If I can I'll put the pudding plates there too."

"Good thinking, my love."

At lunch time there was a knock on the front door. James went to open it to find a tall, young man in his early twenties standing there with a friendly smile on his face.

"Hello," he said, "I'm Gavin and my mum doesn't think I have enough work to do so she sent me along to see if there was still a vacancy for a barman."

"Come in, Gavin. I'm James and this is my wife Jenny. Darling, this is Gavin and he's offering himself as a barman."

"Great," said Jenny. "Hello Gavin. Would you like a cup of coffee?"

"Yes, please. No sugar."

"We're eating off the bar because the tables have all got wet varnish on them," explained James.

Gavin nodded. "Is there a lot of work to be done before you open on Friday?"

"Is there ever?" grinned James.

Jenny returned with Gavin's coffee. "Have you any experience?" she asked.

"Yes, five years on and off. I did two years at the Queen's Arms to start with."

"Really? That's where we've just come from. Why did you leave?"

"To help my sister who'd just opened a shop in Pitsbury. I stayed with her for a year. Jim hadn't got a slot for me then so I worked at the Golden Plough until a few months ago."

"Why did you leave there?"

"Landlord accused me of pinching money from the till."

"You didn't or you wouldn't be telling us."

"Right!"

"Mind you, I'll have to check you out with Jim."

"Fine."

"Where do you live?"

"Just up the way on the council estate."

"That's convenient. Look, you'd better be aware of what we expect."

Gavin nodded and grinned. "Tell me the worst," he said.

"High standards," said James. "As simple and as difficult as that. You have to be clean and tidy. Tables must be cleared immediately and cleaned properly. No fingerprints on glasses, i.e. check they're clean before you fill them or set them out on a table. Keep the bar dry and tidy. Keep the back of the bar clean and tidy so that you, and whoever else is on with you, can find things quickly. If someone's on a tab write that up before serving anyone else. We need every penny," he smiled.

Gavin smiled back. "All that makes sense to me," he said. "I think I can add one or two. Arrive early for a shift and ensure everything is clean and ready. Be friendly and welcoming and get to know the regulars."

"Spot on," said James. "When can you start?"

"Whenever you like but what are you going to pay me?"

"Drat!" chuckled Jenny. "I thought we'd got you for free."

"No way," grinned Gavin.

"Basic minimum wage to start with, I'm afraid, but I'll pay you by the hour rather than by the shift," said James. Gavin nodded appreciatively.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.