An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 20

By the time David and Josh reached the cabin, the destroyer had made several violent manoeuvres. Liz and Julia were decked out in floatation vests and metal helmets. They were peering out the porthole trying to make sense of the battle going on around them. "I feel like the best man in the honeymoon suite" grumbled Josh.

David laughed. "First you tell me you hate ships and subs and now you want to get out there and go hand to hand with a submariner!"

The ship lurched again and depth charges could be heard splashing into the sea. "Better than being stuck in here!"

Liz turned around. "You find our presence less than stimulating Captain Hart?"

"Errr, no Ma'am, errr Liz. I like your presence a lot." Josh stammered. He looked even more confused as Liz and Julia started laughing.

Their banter was interrupted by the sounds of the ships 4" guns firing.

"They must have forced the sub to the surface" Josh theorised excitedly.

Bells rang, and the ship began to slow. Over the loud speaker could be heard the command to cease fire.

"I think its safe for us to go on deck now" Josh was eager to see more. He was not alone. As one, they made for the cabin door.

On deck, there was organised chaos as seamen began to lower the launch, and marines lined up checking their weapons. Quite nearby was the submarine. It was a large vessel that looked a little worse for wear. In the conning tower were several officers and non-coms. They had attached a sheet to the mast, and it drooped sadly in the waning light.

Already searchlights were stabbing out at the sub, showing in harsh relief the rust and barnacles and weed covering its side. There seemed little damage from its battle with the destroyer, and the crew around David was nervous. All available guns were trained on the sub waiting for an excuse to open fire.

Soon the marines were boarding and the launch returned bearing some of the officers from the submarine. As they came on board, there was a general gasp of disbelief, as seeming skeletons feebly stepped onto the deck.

"Good God!" gasped Liz. Many of the crew turned away, not sure what to make of what they were witnessing. The Captain had come down from the bridge and the Captain of the submarine came forward and saluted.

In near perfect English he spoke. "I am surrendering my vessel and I am handing over to you the log and code books. Please look after my crew, they need to eat." He looked like some sort of ghoul, his body was shaking, his eyes and lips were yellow, and it was obvious that he had been on starvation rations for a long period of time.

"OK you gaggle of school girls, that's enough standing around," Bellowed the sergeant-at-arms, "There's nothing to see here."

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

"Did I tell you I hate subs?" grumbled Josh.

David sighed. "Josh how many more times do I need to be reminded of your phobia with submarines!" He could see that Josh looked distinctly uncomfortable. "Look — if it makes you feel any better, I have a feeling that I don't like subs also."

Josh continued to grumble "Great help that's going to be"

They were standing on deck looking at the sun rise over the waves. The weather continued to be mild and the swell was gentle. The bottle-green ocean slapped against the hull. To their left they could see the Crossbow start to pick up speed and head north.

Soon enough a bell began to ring reminding David and Josh that its better to be on the inside of a sub when it submerges, They made their way to a for'ard hatch and climbed down into the cramped and smelly quarters of the German submariners.

Within moments the submarine had set sail and slid beneath the waters of the North Atlantic.

Josh was fretting. "Calm down buddy" David said. "If this tin can has lasted as long as this, it will last another couple of days."

"It's not this rusted hulk that I'm worrying about — it's Liz. I don't trust these..." he hesitated and lowered his voice to a whisper " ... Germans!"

David glanced around. The German crew looked exhausted. Most were swinging in hammocks over the torpedo tubes. At the bulk head door, a British marine held a semi-automatic. The smell was thick with sweat and diesel and boiled cabbage. "I don't think there is much to worry about. Just keep your hand on your gun and think of England"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.