An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 15

The train moved slowly out of the tunnel into a cutting which seemed to David only slightly more hemmed in than previously. "At least we can see who we are shooting" he grunted. Both he and Julia took firm grip of their weapons.

David could sense Julia's tense form next to his. He remembered how they had met. Him caged like some animal, waiting for his Japanese executioner to return. And then this slim form; silent as night; a ghost of a shadow.

He had been so relieved, that the incongruity of a female British agent on a godforsaken, wartorn island in the Pacific didn't cross his mind till much later. Much later. For that matter, at the time, he hadn't known she was an agent. But she was his angel of salvation, and he owed her big-time. Still did, and would till hell freezed over.

The train continued to slowly move forward. Taking a quick look out side, David noticed some of Josh's commando's had dropped to the ground and were walking beside the train. They held their weapons at the ready. The cutting shrank and the train moved out into the head of a valley. As the ground spread out, from a door further up the train, a figure leaped out and ran for the cover of some bushes. Before he had gone more than a couple yards, the commando closest, had lifted his DeLyle carbine and shot the runner in the back.

Soon the train shuddered to a halt. David and Julia made their way back to Liz. Pierre had dragged the body out of the cabin. Liz was looking pensively out of the window. As they entered the cabin, she swung around, her gun for a moment pointed at David. Just as quickly she lowered it and smiled. "David, Julia! You both look fine." There was some tension in her voice, but she seemed composed.

"We're fine and in tip top shape!" Julia replied, "Though I would go through it all again for a cup of tea!" She glanced around looking for Pierre. "Pierre! Gascon! Where are you? We are all in need of a cup of tea!"

"Ah! Mademoiselle, I was theenkin' the same theen." Stepping carefully over the body in the hallway, Pierre entered the cabin beaming. "Voila!" With a magician's flourish he lifted his hands which were full of mugs and a large pot of steaming tea.

Just then more shots were heard. Liz gasped. "David, do you think Josh is OK?"

"I'll go check for you Liz, and report straight back."

"Now don't you go and do anything too heroic" Julia warned. "Remember, you have to tend to the damage you caused!" They both smiled at the thought, and with the relief of a battle that seemed won.

"I'll be back soon. I promise"

David made his way toward the front of the train. While he didn't hear any more shooting, he checked every door and gauged the risks of every carriage hallway. Finally he came out onto the open car with the AA gun. A couple of Tommies were seated, leaning back against the sand bags, smoking and talking quietly. When they saw him they started to rise, then realising he was not an officer, sank once more into the relaxed slouch of the professional soldier.

These soldiers were unknown to David, but he had their measure. Fight when you had to, keep your head down, and pray to God that no officer was going to want them to be bloody heroes.

Smiling, David enquired, "Where's your Captain?"

"Sir, we haint seen 'im since 'ee climbed up onto the bloody coal car." Another spoke up, "I'll bet he looks like one of those Swahili blokes with the grass skirt an' all." The three began to chuckle. It was obvious they were at that moment when the fighting stops and you realise you're still alive — they were a bit drunk on life.

David nodded and continued past them to the coal car. "Josh? You up there?"

"I'm in the engine. David? Is everyone all right? The Princess... ?"

David interrupted, "No-ones hurt. Just a few of the bad guys." As he spoke he climbed down off the AA car and walked up to the engine. The hissing of the engine and the slow chuff chuff, made more conversation difficult. Before he reached the cabin, Josh leaned out and pulled the whistle. His face was smeared with soot and was broken by a big white grin. He looked like a kid on an outing. As David began to climb aboard, Josh put out his hand and helped him in.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.